PDA

View Full Version : Child Protection

SonnysMummy
16-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Can i just get this straight in my head and ask you ladies to tell me if i have it right?

If i suspect child abuse:-

I would take note of any marks, change in behaviour, things the children have said ect...If they disclose any info, don't ask questions just listen so not to prompt them and write it down word for word if able.

Get advice from local authority, ncma, nspcc ect.

Now...would i then inform social services or would i let parents know i was concerned and let them give me an explanation, but only if it wasn't going to put the child at risk i.e if i didn't suspect the parents? They have to give permission for you to inform social services, don't they?

What order does the procedure go in?

I kind of know but i'm a little confused:panic:

Kelly:)

Tatia
17-04-2008, 06:56 AM
No they do not have to give you permission to inform social services. You are obligated to report any abuse or neglect regardless of the parents' wishes. In my policy, I state that I may or may not talk to them first, depending upon the issue. For instance, if I thought it would be detrimental to the child or my own safety by bringing it up with them first thenI wouldn't.

Tatia
17-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Here's a snippet of my policy

Coping with concerns about the possible abuse of a child is very stressful. My first responsibility must always be to the child. In the course of our normal working relationship, we will likely discuss a number of individual incidents, from a bruise a child may have to a recent change in behaviour. Open communication between the childminder and the parent will go a long way towards explaining most situations. However, if I witness or have good cause to suspect that a child is being abused or neglected, it is my legal and moral obligation to report it to social services. Depending upon the circumstances, I may or may not discuss this with you first.

Pipsqueak
17-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Contact your Local Safeguarding Children Board and they should have a booklet of procedure along with the Duty Team phone number.

If a child discloses you record what they say (don't make false promise), you can't "question" them and you must remain calm.

Record record record everything (times, dates, marks, remarks, explanations by parents etc) if you suspect or have concerns.

Take advice from relevant places and/or speak to your local Duty Team

sarah707
17-04-2008, 07:04 AM
I agree with the above! :D

miffy
17-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I agree - keep all records you make factual - if it is a child talking to you don't put words into their mouth (easily done) or jump to conclusions just write down exactly what they say.

Having said that I hope I never have to do it

miffy xx

angeldelight
17-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with the others also

Angel xx

Rach30
17-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Yep agree with the above . But also what every you write down on ie writing down a disclouser on the back of an envelope cos that the first thing you found , then you must keep that origanal writing . Even if you then write it up neather you still need to keep the origanal , iyswim. Thats what i was told on my safe gaurding course. Its something to do with the origanal being better evidence or something . And if in doubt about anything i would just ring socail services cos they will point you in the right direction.

Monkey1
17-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I had to report an incident last year.
I called my network coordinator to ask for advice. I had already put it into my incident book and got my witness to sign. They told me to ring the safeguarding board and inform them as well as ofsted, which i did. They were all very helpful. Ofsted also informed them at the Safeguarding board/ social services, repeating what i had told them.
They called back to make sure that i was prepared to stand as a witness if required as there had been another incident reported that week!
The hardest thing i had to do was to get the Mum to sign the incident book that night where i had added that social services had been informed.
They moved out of the area soon after and didn't give me the forwarding address but the child did tell me the name of his new school, so i noted it down and informed the social services again.
I received a letter from Ofsted stating that i had complied with the standards.

Pipsqueak
17-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Monkey that must have been a really hard situation but well done you for handling it so well and professionally. I pray and hope I never am in that situation but I hope that if I am I will handle it as well as you have just described.

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree with what has been said above.

On a CP course that I did we were told that you should inform parents of anything you suspect, make notes and get them to sign and date when you speak to them about it the only instance whwen you wouldn't inform them is if it is likely to put the child in more risk. I found this a very hard concept to take in.

If I remember rightly if you inform SS orr EY r similar they have to act on it even if it is only suspicions whereas NSPCC if rung for advice can be done anonymously hope that makes sense.

Only advice I can really give is that you keep imaculate (wrong word sorry) and detailed records of any suspicions you have just in case you areproved right

SonnysMummy
17-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies.
Do you have a permission form that you get parents to sign when the child starts with you saying that they give permission for you to contact social services if you feel there may be a chance their child is being abused or neglected? Saw one of these on Bromley.

Kelly:)

Pipsqueak
17-04-2008, 07:57 PM
You don't need permission to do that - you have a professional (and moral) duty to follow guidelines

Kelly
17-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Kelly

I get parents to sign to say they have read and understood my policies (which I list) these include my child protection policy it clearly states that should I have a serious concern in order to safeguard the child my confidentiality policy will be over written and I will contact the appropraite agencies without prior consent.

Kelly

Rubybubbles
17-04-2008, 08:08 PM
You don't need permission to do that - you have a professional (and moral) duty to follow guidelines

what I was going to say, only not put so well:blush: :thumbsup:

Tatia
18-04-2008, 06:46 AM
And what I already said up there! ^ :D