PDA

View Full Version : Working in Partnership

MAWI
12-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Hello
I have 4 of my part timers now attending Pre-school. I have got all parents to sign forms to say that they are happy with sharing information.
My problem is the actual Pre-school. While they are all lovely ladies, getting anything in writing is quite difficult. I understand they are busy and dont want to discuss anything at pick up/drop off. So just telling me theyve had a good day is not going to cut it with Ofsted I presume.
So my questions are:
Has anyone wrote to the Pre-school to gain information?
If so, what do you ask? without sounding too pushy.
How much info is acceptable to Ofsted? My idea was that I could give them a copy of MY OBS at the end of terms and my hope was they would reciprocate. Is this asking too much?

I know that are supposed to work in partnership, but for us childminders, I do think they sometimes see us as not important.

Any advice appreciated

Many Thanks:)

miffy
12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I ask the playgroup supervisor for a copy of their planning (which she photocopies for me and I put in lo's LJ).

I try and see the children's key person and ask what areas they are focussing on for that term and tell them what I'm working on

I ask parent's what their children have been doing at playgroup and for any information they have been given about development

I write all this down and any comments the staff make about the child's time at playgroup.

I am still waiting for a playgroup, after-school club, nursery or school to approach me about working together so I think it's a joke that Ofsted seem to expect cm's to do so much on this aspect. (sorry, climbing down off soap box now! )

Miffy xx

sarah707
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I ask for planning and newsletters.

I also get as much info as I can from looking at the walls and asking the child.

I don't get anything in writing... I write it all up myself if I manage to claw anything out of them.

At the end of the day I will be able to show Ofsted that I try my best :D

Chimps Childminding
12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I get a copy of the newsletter, but I had to request that. Parents did bring the lo's learning journal home and let me have a look through, and I also took mine to nursery.

We don't get to go into nursery, children are met at the door and as there is always a queue of parents/carers waiting it is impossible to get to speak to anyone, never mind the Key Worker.

As Miffy said, any communication always seems to be at my instigation, I get a letter signed by parents to give permission for sharing information, send it down to nursery to get it signed, and hey presto theirs comes back as well - maybe I'm just more organised than them :D

MAWI
13-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Well, I managed to speak to Preschool today and they were extremely helpful. Weve agreed to swap OBS at the end of every term and also got their newsletter that I will get every term indicating the topics they are following. So Im really pleased. I feel much better now having something to show Ofsted that Ive done my bit.

miffy
13-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Glad you got some information from them :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Weeze1979
31-03-2011, 01:25 PM
We don't get to go into nursery, children are met at the door and as there is always a queue of parents/carers waiting it is impossible to get to speak to anyone, never mind the Key Worker

This is the same as my niece's pre-school, and I hate it!

Think its probably because of my pre-school background, where I have chased parents out the door telling them what their child has been up to that day! ;) .....When I have been to pick her up and they pretty much push her towards me out the door so I kind of march back up to them and ask how her day has been. I usually get a stunned look followed by 'yeah fine, no problems' a weak smile and they turn to go! :eek:

Hello? Could you maybe expand on that a little, she's been with you for 6 hours!! Grr :angry:

Sorry, rant over.