PDA

View Full Version : eyfs practice guidance

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi all, today it was recommended to me that it might help if i type out each of the 6 areas of learning and what it says for the child i am working with then highlight every time he/she meets one of the developmental stages mentioned so for example type out psed, self confidence and self esteem then put what it says for 22-36 months e.g begin to be assertive and self assured when others have realistic expectations of their competence.
when i notice that he/she does this i highlight it. does this make sense? does anyone else do it and it helps them?

butterfly
11-01-2011, 04:13 PM
yes i do this. when i do an observation i make a note of which eyfs strnd it covers and the age/development range.

In the front of the children's learning journeys I have all the eyfs stages of dev typed out and then at the end of each term i highlight which areas i feel they have securely met (each term a different colour).

The eyfs notes on the obs show that i am covering each eyfs area and the eyfs overviews in learning journeys show the progress they are making.

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
brilliant! i will do the same. atm i do observations but i just link it to an area of learning and have just been graded satisfactory because i haven't been putting enough detail, i will from now on have the early learning goals typed out at the front liek you do and highlight when i feel its been met. hopefully that should be the detail ofsted are looking for.

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
more paperwork!!! argh!! :)

butterfly
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
it doesn't take that long really especially when you get the hang of it. Ofsted said this practice was exemplary and graded it outstanding when they came to me so it's def worth it! if you want any more help just pm me.

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 04:39 PM
wow! wish i had done this earlier :( nevermind start as i mean to go on.

you know they say they could be in a different age range (behind or infront) how do we deal with this when it comes to the paperwork. i have an 18 months old so i need to type up for the age range 16-26months but what if they don't feature in this age range?
claire

linda2girls
11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I have just taken on a child who has been at nursery. I have been given his Learning Journal from the nursery (which is graded Outstanding). They put all their observations on stickers, stick the stickers onto a sheet of paper, date them and write which part of the chart is relates to. Then on a typed out EYFS chart, they write the observation number. A couple of the observations have next steps but there was no planning.

This is all they do for an outstanding grade. I think some of us make too much work for ourselves, but there again it depends on what inspector you get.

Linda.

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/84490

looks like this takes me to a pdf of the practice guidance. i could print out the relevant bits and highlight when the child covers them?

butterfly
11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
wow! wish i had done this earlier :( nevermind start as i mean to go on.

you know they say they could be in a different age range (behind or infront) how do we deal with this when it comes to the paperwork. i have an 18 months old so i need to type up for the age range 16-26months but what if they don't feature in this age range?
claire

No I have the entire eyfs stages typed up (i think i got them on here!) one A4 page for each of the 6 areas. Then I highlight. I have been highlighting the same sheet for the last 2.5 years for my children so it's great to show the progress they have made with me! It is also very easy to see at a glance if they are particularly behind or in front of where they 'should' be.

WibbleWobble
11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
i have put some EYFS charts on here in the downloads section. It gives the development levels for each age range. Pick your age range and enter the evidence/observation ref as child achieves it

no messing....just print it out and put it in the front of the journal

simples

mandy x

butterfly
11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Here is what I use. I'm sorry I can't remember which forum star first posted it but it's fantastic!

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
you have just made my night! thank you x

Carol M
11-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I use these overview sheets too.
I have a set in each childs folder and I have found that at some stage a child can be in two sometimes three age ranges.
i write up brief obs and match to a statement then highlight on the page then write up obs again after 3 months or so and highlight in a different colour. It makes it easy to see how each child progresses through the EYFS.
Carol xx

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 08:52 PM
thanks for all the ideas, i feel alot more positive now. x

PixiePetal
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
can I thank the person who put these 6 sheets on the forum - I have printed them off, laminated back to back so I only have 3 things to handle and use them all the time :thumbsup:

clumpcat
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
soon us childminders will be all singing all dancing and Ofsted will have a job to grade us anything but "OUTSTANDING"
woohoo!!!

karensmart4
12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Here is what I use. I'm sorry I can't remember which forum star first posted it but it's fantastic!

These are the ones I use too.... brilliant:thumbsup:

clumpcat
16-01-2011, 04:45 PM
i have just spent 7 hours on one weeks of observations for 6 children using the new system we talked about, linking it on the sheets and highlighting it. putting it into the learning journals next to any photos i've taken, filling out next steps sheet for each child and filling out individual learning forms for next week! 7 hours!!! this is madness! i got a satisfactory before i starting putting this much detail in, in 3 years time if i'm still doing it i had better get a "good" or i'm giving up for "good"!!

catlyn
16-01-2011, 05:50 PM
i have put some EYFS charts on here in the downloads section. It gives the development levels for each age range. Pick your age range and enter the evidence/observation ref as child achieves it

no messing....just print it out and put it in the front of the journal

simples

mandy x

I have looked for these but cant find them...anyone point me in the right direction please?

Blaze
16-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I have just taken on a child who has been at nursery. I have been given his Learning Journal from the nursery (which is graded Outstanding). They put all their observations on stickers, stick the stickers onto a sheet of paper, date them and write which part of the chart is relates to. Then on a typed out EYFS chart, they write the observation number. A couple of the observations have next steps but there was no planning.

This is all they do for an outstanding grade. I think some of us make too much work for ourselves, but there again it depends on what inspector you get.

Linda.

The problem is I have noticed that nurseries / preschools & schools seem to be graded Outstanding far easier than CM's...much more is expected of us even though we are a one man band (ish - to allow for assistants etc), without funding!:rolleyes:

butterfly
16-01-2011, 06:18 PM
i have just spent 7 hours on one weeks of observations for 6 children using the new system we talked about, linking it on the sheets and highlighting it. putting it into the learning journals next to any photos i've taken, filling out next steps sheet for each child and filling out individual learning forms for next week! 7 hours!!! this is madness! i got a satisfactory before i starting putting this much detail in, in 3 years time if i'm still doing it i had better get a "good" or i'm giving up for "good"!!

It wll def be ofsted and you'll get quicker as you get the hang of it!