PDA

View Full Version : what do you need to do to offer overnight care

rachelmama
11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
:) hi everyone
I have been thinking about offereing overnight care, as i have worked nights myself 5 yrs and understand how hard it is to find childcare, only i was wondering what is required and how do u get registered for it, i also have 3 children of my own and live in a 3 bedroom house
thanks
rachel xxx

rachelmama
19-01-2011, 04:52 PM
hi everyone x please can someone give any advice
thanks all:)

tracey36
19-01-2011, 04:55 PM
i think the first thing you need to do is get in touch with ofsted they will need to come out i think to do a overnite care inspection,,,,hope this helps

rachelmama
19-01-2011, 05:21 PM
thank you for your reply x i will look in to it,.
does anyone who offers overnight care have any advice about what they do and wher the child sleeps and what fees you charge please
thank you all x:)

Ripeberry
19-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Not sure, but I think they need to have their own bedroom, bed and bedding so maybe one of your children would have to give up their room if you had a mindee.

The main problem with overnight care I think is...'What if the mindee is up all night crying?' :panic: And then the next day you have a full day of care?

I've only just got used to my youngest sleeping through the night solid and she has only just turned 6yrs old.

rachelmama
19-01-2011, 08:10 PM
thank you for advice

a3human
19-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Hiya,

You still need to become a full childminder. Best will be to contact your family informatin services (FIS) for information! They should be able to answer everything regarding that.

Someone mentioned beds, rooms etc... that is about all you need extra from being a childminder.
Just a safe place for child to sleep, must have a monitor in the room. Preferable in his own room as they need their privacy too.

But contact your FIS, if they don't know they will direct you in the correct direction.

sarak31
20-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Not sure - ofsted will be able to tell you I would just ring them. But, I do remember asking about this and they said you have to have (as well as own room, own bedding etc) :

- Wired in smoke alarms
- Fire doors on rooms with (I think) 30 mins 'burn' time - lots of new houses are built with these now
- An inspection and fire safety certificate from your local friendly fire people.

Might be wrong so do ring ofsted and check - and I'm sure if there is anyone who does offer overnight care they will come on here and correct me.

Hope helps.

tashaleee
20-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Not sure - ofsted will be able to tell you I would just ring them. But, I do remember asking about this and they said you have to have (as well as own room, own bedding etc) :

- Wired in smoke alarms
- Fire doors on rooms with (I think) 30 mins 'burn' time - lots of new houses are built with these now
- An inspection and fire safety certificate from your local friendly fire people.

Might be wrong so do ring ofsted and check - and I'm sure if there is anyone who does offer overnight care they will come on here and correct me.

Hope helps.

I would honestly say ring Ofsted and see what their requirements are 'this week' as, like most things with Ofsted, they often change....

I am registered for overnight, but Ive never been asked to do it.

I dont have any of the above by Ofsted and I have never been asked to.

Normally you are only registered for 1 child aged under 8 overnight unless you ask for more (well, so my Certificate tells me...) :laughing:

linda2girls
20-01-2011, 07:50 PM
They must have their own bed and clean bedding - but I'm not sure if they have to have their own bedroom.

I am registered for overnight care. I don't have wired smoke alarms - the fire brigade didn't think this was necessary when they visited and I don't have fire doors.

Linda.

Louise0208
20-01-2011, 07:54 PM
i was told on ICP last year that there own room was needed :)

but then i was told a lot of things on my ICP which you folks have said is wrong lol :D

rachelmama
20-01-2011, 08:25 PM
thakyou so much for your replies i am having the childminding co ordinator over in a weeks time so i hope that i can ask lots of questions then and ring ofsted
thank you all for great advice xxxx:laughing:

Nat78
22-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I am registered for overnight care and after applying through a variation. I was passed over the phone and no inspection was needed. I do not have fire doors and wired in fire alarms, have one on each floor of house and inspection from fire brigade is preferable. You have to demonstrate how you would get children to safety in event of fire and risk assess your capability to work if you were up all night with minded child. I have been doing it a year, also started for a friend who is paramedic and struggled to find childcare for shifts. Also found it has benefitted other parents with late night care (have one til 9:30pm two nights a week) without worrying if this late care is covered in day hours, if that makes sense.

juelmer
24-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I just had my pre-reg visit and I opted for overnight care. The inspector said the child wouldn't need their own room but you would have to confirm the sleeping arrangements when you sign up. I said:
-If baby is under 6 months they would stay in the travel cot in my room
-If baby is older than 6 months then they would sleep in the travel cot in my daughters room (she's 11 months)
-If the child is too old for the travel cot then they would sleep on the sofa bed in my daughters room and my daughter would stay with us

I was told I would be allowed one child under 8 and no visitors to stay the night. Also, what extra security would you offer? I have a door alarm on the back door which I don't normally use but I would if a child was staying. I've also been asked to call the fire station for a home visit.

That's all i can remember right now......

rachelmama
24-01-2011, 08:45 PM
thankyou for that advice, i having having my first visit on friday very nervous dont really know what to expect xx:D