PDA

View Full Version : how much can u earn as a chilminder and hubby as assistant

rachelmama
11-01-2011, 12:21 PM
hi all
I am a little worried, our plan is for my husband to give up his job and become my assistant once registration goes through and i will give up my current job, as we never see each other and have family time i have just finished my nvq 3 and done my icp course a year ago.
We also have 3 children aged 3, 6 and 9, and we was wondering about how many children we can have and the fees that other childminders charge i would really apprieciate your info on this as i worry to pay bills, morgage etc
I am scared we may not earn enough and will have to go bk to old type of jobs, I really wont to be a childminder work with children that is why i have done all this hard work.
thanks
rachel xxx

rickysmiths
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Yuo won't always be able to increase numbers with an assistant. I would have thought if you are both going to be working the best way forward would be for dh to register as a childminder himself.

Also be aware that if you have more than six children at one time you may ahve to get Planning Permission from your Local Authority to run a business at home.

Loads of Husband and Wife teams on the Forum who I'm sure will come along with lots of info.

SaijaM
11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi there,

Congratulations on decicing to embark on this wonderful career :)
I've only done it for a short while - about 5 months, but absolutely love it.
I also have my husband registered as my assistant, but he doesn't actually work with me... it's just in case some day he might.

Anyhow, I think the max. children you can be registered for is 6, including your own children.. however this might change as you will have your hubby to help you. So the figures would probably increase.

However, you can only have a certain amount of children based on the size of your house / the rooms you've registered for childminding? Check this from the EYFS book.

Regards to charges, this is up to you, but I would look at what the local CMs charge.. you don't want to price yourself out of the market.

I charge £6 per hour including meals.. however I'm in London.

Hope this helps..
xx Good luck!
Saija

manjay
11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
My husband is a registered childminder and when we work together the maximum number we are allowed is still 6 although they can all be under 5. So in effect you could have 6 full timers although depending on you area that is not always easy to achieve. He doesn't work with me permanently though as it wouldn't be financially viable.

As Saija says charges also depend on your area. My £3.60 looks a bit drastic compared to hers but I am in North Wales and would never get away with charging £6

Chatterbox Childcare
11-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I work with my DH as an assistant and we can have 6 under 5 and 9 under 8 (including 6 under 5). I am currently awaiting an answer of increasing my under 8's to 12. DH is now going to apply to be a childminder himself.

It will pay depending on rates in your area. You will have 2 children out of your numbers because of your ow.

The max you can have is 4 under 8, plus your own children.

rachelmama
11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
thank you all for your advice xxx

TinyTinker
11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I am registered with hubby as assistant, but still only allowed 6 (inc my own) due to size of house really. One benefit is you can have more under 5 meaning more full time spaces and less before/after school only kids if you can get them.

I am charging 3.50 per hour in the Norfolk area and am currently more or less full. We will be better off as currently I am working fullish time and Hubby is a stay at home Dad.

I have 3 before/after school, 2 between 1-4 and 1 under 1. Not all at the same time though:thumbsup:

good luck