PDA

View Full Version : Home Visit from Nursery

Zoomie
04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
DD starts nursery next week :panic:

Have booked a home visit and I am slightly nervous about what to expect.

I know they are coming to see DD and I am closing for the afternoon, so that it will just be her and me.

I am not sure what I am nervous about, DD and I rarely have 'alone time' as I am either minding, or the rest of the family are at home.

When it is just us, we tend to do a puzzle / story or two, and then she goes off and plays by herself (dolls / tea set) or watches some tv.

Pathetic I know, but I am worried about how I should be. I do not have much confidence in my own childminding abilities - I am not natural. I worry about how I should say things ... like with a puzzle I would say ''turn it this way'', but think I should be saying ''what would happen if you turned it this way?''.

I am just so worried about being observed by professionals :blush: :blush:, especially in that I mind 2 children in the nursery unit already.

What happens on a home visit. I think there will be 2 or 3 staff coming ?

Any suggestions / advise :blush:

Daddy Day Care
04-01-2011, 10:57 PM
You seriously have nothing to panic about, my son had a home visit just b4 christmas he starts his new nursery tomorrow.

Two people turned up, dont believe they are allowed to go in someones homeon there own, they was with me less than 5 minutes. Got me to fill in a copule of forms whilst they talked to my son, and then they were gone.

Gareth
xx

Zoomie
04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
You seriously have nothing to panic about, my son had a home visit just b4 christmas he starts his new nursery tomorrow.

Two people turned up, dont believe they are allowed to go in someones homeon there own, they was with me less than 5 minutes. Got me to fill in a copule of forms whilst they talked to my son, and then they were gone.

Gareth
xx

5 minute visit. I am shocked. Not much time to get to know a child.

FussyElmo
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
ours was slightly longer about 20 mins. The teacher and ta came - the teacher spoke to me about likes and dislikes while the ta played with ds. They brought a puzzle for them to do. After about 10 mins of talking to me the teacher joined them talking to ds about his likes and dislikes.

Daddy Day Care
04-01-2011, 11:14 PM
5 minute visit. I am shocked. Not much time to get to know a child.

yup, it was pointless, his actual key worker did the forms with me so didnt even speak to him.

When my daughter started nursery, gonig back 3 years ago now and a diff nursery, it wasnt much different, they was here maybe 10 minutes max, the only thing diff they did was ask leoni to go find her fav toy.

Gareth
xx

clio0602
05-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Never heard of home visits by nursery before! Sure its nothing to worry about though. Prob just have a chat about Lo you'll be fine Xxx

mayberry
05-01-2011, 06:17 AM
They just what to see the child is in their own environment nothing for you to worry about just chill and enjoy your DD company :D

Dawn x

Louise0208
05-01-2011, 06:25 AM
its nothing like the visits that parents do with us.

i just signed his medical form & she bought us a large laminated name for him so he could reconise his name at school & start to practice to write it.
it just give LO the chance to meet teacher & key worker without hoards of other children shouting for attention. :thumbsup:

all mine were 15 mins max.

karen m
05-01-2011, 07:13 AM
my daughter had a home visit for my grandson ,first i had heard of them asked me along so they could meet anyone involed with collecting from school

AliceK
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
My DS had a home visit 3 years ago and my DD had hers from the same nursery/school today. I didn't close, the teachers know me already and know I am a childminder. Her keyworker sat with DD and played and chatted with her (they bought some toys with them) and the other one sat with me and chatted and filled out some forms. DD took the keyworker up to her bedroom to show her her new Barbie house at one point :laughing: .
It's nothing to worry about honestly just be yourself, it's not a test or a judgement on you honest :thumbsup:

xxxxx

sarak31
05-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I have one coming as well - on Monday. My DD just started school and they are coming around for home visit. They didn't do them when my eldest started school so not sure what to expect either but think it is just to see the child in their home setting. I've a friend who manages a nursery and they do these - she says when they have had children with behavioural problems / certain issues it has been really helpful as they can see how other family members interact with them - there was a boy who kept hitting others and when they did the home visit the sister kept smacking him - explained a lot!

So I'm not stressing about it but am working so they will have to join in with whatever we are doing! :D