PDA

View Full Version : Numbers and variations

Clever Clogs
15-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi there

Am not too sure if same rules apply in England as they do here in Scotland but would love some advice cause my little brain is getting a bit confused. My sil has asked if I could maybe watch her two kids when she goes back to work if I have a space. Her wee one is 2 months younger than my son (she is 7 months, mine is 9months), in the mean time could I take her occassionally? Anyway thought I would check with the Care Commission to see if I could perhaps get a variation to allow me to do thisand have been informed that whether I am getting paid or not - am not allowed to do this as I have 2 under 1 year olds. I understand the rules but really wasn't aware that it applied when not working or days when I have no other kids - especially being family. It just seems a bit too restricted, meaning for instance if my sis in law asked me keep an eye on dd at the weekend for a couple of hours I couldn't do this? Is this right? Now it's really got me thinking, my numbers are max of 8 under 16 who a max of 6 must be under 12. Last week for instance my daughter had 6 of her friends all about 6 yrs in the garden sitting drawing on a day I didn't have any kids, about 6.30pm at night - does this mean I shouldn't have that either, meaning no matter what days you work or hours, or even if it's a weekend we can't go over what it says on the regisitration? If that's the case then I need to go by the rules but I honestly wasn't aware it applies at all times. Am I just being thick or does anyone else feel the same?

Thanks
Tracey

sarah707
16-04-2008, 06:34 AM
It's a really tricky one for a childminder who has their own children within the numbers, but yes it is right - during minding hours you cannot go over the amount of children on your certificate. It's for insurance reasons and legal for Ofsted ratios of adult:child.

So if you have 4 minded children under 8 and your 2 under 8s come home, you are up to your limit - your children cannot bring friends home.

Same with babies (under 1s) - if you are minding and take your friends baby for a favour but you already have your own baby (under 1) then you are breaking the rules / law / cover on your insurance.

It doesn't always seem fair on your own children and believe me over the years my 2 have had their moans about it... but it's the rules.

I hope this clarifies :D

miffy
16-04-2008, 06:35 AM
I agree with Sarah

miffy xx

Tatia
16-04-2008, 06:51 AM
But that's only on days you have mindees. It certainly should not impact on what you do in your own time, with family. Or friends of your children visiting outside of mindee hours. I'd call and clarify that. I think (I hope and pray) that you have maybe misunderstood? It's only to do with times when you have minded children.

sarah707
16-04-2008, 06:56 AM
But that's only on days you have mindees. It certainly should not impact on what you do in your own time, with family. Or friends of your children visiting outside of mindee hours. I'd call and clarify that. I think (I hope and pray) that you have maybe misunderstood? It's only to do with times when you have minded children.

Yes, it is only 'within minding hours' ie when you are actually working, for Ofsted, as far as I am aware...

Tatia's right, a phone call to check if Scotland is different might be a good idea... can you report back please so we know? :D

Clever Clogs
16-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I definitely am aware about the rules during mindee hours that's why I think and hope I have misunderstood. Just that on the e-mail back it's got in bold 'at any time'. I think I will phone to clarify - will let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Tracey

Kelly
16-04-2008, 07:14 AM
I am affraid that my understanding is that Sarah is right, I know that I had this discussion with the local authorities (many moons ago) about a birthday party for my son. I was not minding on the day but they were trying to say that I couldn't have more than 3 children (under 5) at his party!

I think that you could argue what minded hours are though.

Kelly

Twinkles
16-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Surely they can't dictate to us what we do in our free time. I suppose we would have to prove that we weren't minding at that time.
I.e if you had every Friday off and could prove that I'm sure you can have families/friends kids as you are not minding.
As for the party scenario thats is just ridiculous, OFSTED going too far again.

fionamal
16-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I too questioned Care Commission on this matter as I had been reported for being over my numbers, which I wasnt.

During the hours of 8am to 6pm Mond to Frid (which is my stated working days and hours) I have to stick to the Care Commission rules but after that I can do what I want with kids friends coming round etc.

You can always watch your neice/nephew at their own house and they cannot do a thing about it as you are babysitting but it can only be for upto 2 hours per day.

Tatia
16-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I think this is where your attendance register comes in hand, to prove you weren't minding on a specific date or to show you weren't over numbers. I suppose there are people out there trying to pull a fast one and use b-day parties and whatnot as an excuse to overmind but as far as I'm concerned, when there are NO mindees here (whether it's a scheduled day or not), I'll do what I darn well please.

If it ever came to the point that OFSTED could tell me what to do when I'm not working, that'd be the day I quit.:angry:

Not sure why I'm feeling so worked up about this issue.:blush: Think I need a break! Roll on May half-term!:thumbsup: