PDA

View Full Version : advice needed please

SMullin
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone

Im contracted to look after a child on a thurs and fri. The mother has informed me with 3 months notice that on a fri which is a bank holiday her office is closed and therefore doesn't need me to mind her child. I said thank you for letting me know but i will still be charging you full pay as im available to look after your child but you are choosing not to bring him. She thinks that she doesn't need to pay as given me more than the 4 weeks notice. Please clarify that i am correct and how do i make her understand??

Thanks Sue

Mouse
02-01-2011, 05:17 PM
What does your contract say about bank holidays and about parent holiday?

It sounds as if she is booking it as a holiday, so what would you charge for that?

mufftie
02-01-2011, 05:21 PM
i dont know it depends what you have set out in your own contract , i wouldnt charge for that myself as i would take it as holiday , my contracts state they get 4 weeks free holiday if they book in advance

SMullin
02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
She isnt taking it as holiday, although i would also charge her for that. She just thinks that it is ok not to bring him and not pay. She just pays an hourly rate, no extra on b/hols.

Sue

Mouse
02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
How is your contract worded for bank holidays?

Mine says that if I am available to work, but parents decided no to bring their child then full fee is due. If parents need me to work I will charge double fee and if I am not prepared to work, then there will be no fee.

If yours is spelt out clearly like that, then show her the bit on the contract that explains it. As it is a contracted day and you are prepared to work, then full fee will be due. You can tell her that you appreciate being given plenty of notice, but it doesn't change that fact that she will have to pay.

SMullin
02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
There is nothing about b/hols. Charges for absence; due to child/parent/guardian illness/ occasional days off i have written in the rate and "full pay must be paid". She knew from the start that if she doesn't bring him for whatever reason it is still full pay. Realise know that i should have considered b/hols, but told her if im available i expect to be paid.

flowerpots
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
i would explain that as you are available to work you are charging her full fee. i would also maybe type up a sheet to explain clearly bank hol charges and give that to her aswell. hth :thumbsup:

Mouse
02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
There is nothing about b/hols. Charges for absence; due to child/parent/guardian illness/ occasional days off i have written in the rate and "full pay must be paid". She knew from the start that if she doesn't bring him for whatever reason it is still full pay. Realise know that i should have considered b/hols, but told her if im available i expect to be paid.

All you can do is tell her again and show her where it says it in the contract. You need to stress that you are available to work the bank holidays and that is why she has to pay.
What do your contracts say about your own time off? I don't charge for my time off (holidays, illness or occasional days) and explain to parents that those are the only times they don't need to pay me. For all other times I am available for work, so they need to pay.

SMullin
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you everyone, it's good to have it clarified. Sometimes the parents drive me mad questioning things and changing things around! They think that i am a babysitter! :angry: