PDA

View Full Version : help with diversity please

jmorgan
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi and Happy New Year..

I have made up a scrap book for Multiculture & Diversity, I have put pictures in from the oxfam website of a girl who lives in Ethiopia she is doing day to day things etc. I am struggling for things under the heading of diversity.

Any ideas????

Julie:panic:

PixiePetal
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
look for books/toys/pictures of children and adults - in wheelchair, wearing glasses etc - any diverse situation. These are not meant to be singled out more integrated into all that you do/play with over the days.

Books should be on the shelf with all books, dolls with glasses etc in with all other dolls so everything is 'normal'

I have Topsy and Tim books - bought from Amazon (use forum link :thumbsup: ) with all sorts of people/situations . The children in them have different disabilities, hair colour, multicultural etc My mindees love Topsy and Tim :)

I have multicultural crayons and pens for different skin tones as funnily enough we are not all pink!

It takes time to build up resources - make a wish list to buy things in the future and add to the list as you think of things or gather ideas from the forum and by looking about in general life.

hope that helps

jumpinjen
01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I built up by looking up awareness days and then planning a day of activities for the children and talking to them as we learned together, for example, with school aged children having one be the 'guide dog' and one be a visually impaired person and go round an obstacle course then say how it felt etc, charities will often send resources such as a few sheets of braille for children to feel and then you can look for products in the supermarket with braille on (like cleaners especially and talk about why it is so important that they have braille on), it doesn't have to be really complicated.... i see it more as helping children to appreciate the experiences that others might have, by talking about why it might be hard not to see/hear/run etc and how people adapt to their impairments so that they are not impaired by them! books as part of the normal collection are useful for this too..... you can't do everything at once and no one expects you too! You can add photos of your activity days into your scrapbook along with quotes of what the children said/thought. You could draw up a 12month planning sheet with 3/4 events like this onover the year to mix in with individual/theme/celebration planning. personally i haeva scrapbook that covers all that we do so it isn't singled out.... this is what the children enjoy looking back on and what parents view when they come to see the things that we get up to!

HTH, Jen x