PDA

View Full Version : learning times tables

Hebs
28-12-2010, 08:09 PM
does anyone know a good website that can help my son learn his times tables??

i'm slowly loosing the will to live and think he'll learn better with something online thats more game like :blush:

Tam's Tribe
28-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi - www.primaruresources.co.uk and we have another one that is great coz it has great games to learn but DS and I can't remember off hand, away for a couple of days but will check when I get home - hope that is OK!!

Tam's Tribe
28-12-2010, 08:26 PM
www.primaryresources.co.uk

nannymcflea
28-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Makes me mad when kids have to learn this c**p by rote.:mad:

I go over them with dd (7)at bed time. We learn them by clapping them.

Once 7 is 7 etc etc.

Personally I think it's pointless unless the brain is ready to understand why it's learning them.

Mine never reached that level and yet I can still do sums.:D

E (11) is still pants at them yet in the highest math group at secondary!:rolleyes:

good luck with them xx

Hebs
28-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Makes me mad when kids have to learn this c**p by rote.:mad:

I go over them with dd (7)at bed time. We learn them by clapping them.

Once 7 is 7 etc etc.

Personally I think it's pointless unless the brain is ready to understand why it's learning them.

Mine never reached that level and yet I can still do sums.:D

E (11) is still pants at them yet in the highest math group at secondary!:rolleyes:

good luck with them xx

I had them drummed into me yet was always rubbish at maths,
Melissa wasnt made to learn them yet is in the top set for maths
Mark's new head has insisted they learn them, and he has been told he MUST learn them over the christmas holidays, this kinda peeved me cos they get paid to teach him not me :mad:

The Juggler
28-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Hebs, Lewis has same problems (same with left/right and time on the clock). Hence me being convinced still (untested) that he has dyslexia.

However, one thing that helped was a CD we played on repeat all night. not sure if that's classed as brainwashing though:laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
28-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Hebs, Lewis has same problems (same with left/right and time on the clock). Hence me being convinced still (untested) that he has dyslexia.

However, one thing that helped was a CD we played on repeat all night. not sure if that's classed as brainwashing though:laughing: :laughing:

OMG dont even get me started on telling the time :panic:

what CD is that??

miffy
28-12-2010, 09:59 PM
There's some games on here

http://www.teachingtables.co.uk/

Miffy xx

singingcactus
29-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Which tables are you trying to learn. If you google 'skip counting by (whatever number)' there are loads of online games, activities and even songs.

The Juggler
29-12-2010, 11:21 AM
OMG dont even get me started on telling the time :panic:

what CD is that??

lol, it was a Carol Vorderman set I got of Amazon I think, had magic x table finder, cd and chart with stickers:laughing:

kindredspirits
29-12-2010, 01:00 PM
how about brain training for the DS???
Have you tried the old fashioned way of telling him to count on his fingers - thats how i still do it :blush:

Hebs
29-12-2010, 01:18 PM
how about brain training for the DS???
Have you tried the old fashioned way of telling him to count on his fingers - thats how i still do it :blush:

all this kids in his class have been told they need to be able to recite it off the top of their head :rolleyes:
they have a chart on the classroom wall and as he uses his fingers to do the 9 times table they wont mark it off, i have asked why cos last time i checked the use of fingers was allowed in exams :laughing:

kindredspirits
29-12-2010, 02:30 PM
all this kids in his class have been told they need to be able to recite it off the top of their head :rolleyes:
they have a chart on the classroom wall and as he uses his fingers to do the 9 times table they wont mark it off, i have asked why cos last time i checked the use of fingers was allowed in exams :laughing:

what a load of rubbish! I have never been taught my times tables and I got As in my Maths GCSE!! :laughing:

Hebs
29-12-2010, 02:41 PM
i think i'll print out this thread and take it in :laughing:

Ali56
29-12-2010, 02:54 PM
BBC Bitesize! DD uses it all the time!
Does your school use mathletics.co.uk? ours does and its fab, kids have a pin, sign in and have fun. They can compete with other kids around the world at their level of ability! Not sure if you can use it as an individual but may be worth a try.:D

Hebs
29-12-2010, 04:21 PM
yeah his school use mathletics x

flora
29-12-2010, 06:09 PM
We got a Harry a tape Hebs and played it some nights as he was going to bed,like mark H is severely dsylexic and can't retain the tables once he has learnt them. He was the first to get"signed" off for learning them at primary but if you were to ask him now he'd be stumped :(

FussyElmo
29-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Dd's teacher used to say there was no point in learning the tables if they didnt understand them. She recommended that you did the reverse so when learning a table ie the 7's to do the multiplication but then every so often put in a division to see if they have learnt them.

Got to admit both dd and ds know their tables both ways :thumbsup:

Annie_T
29-12-2010, 07:04 PM
its not online but you can buy off line

a maths wrap

my kids school sold them when they had someone promoting it

and my kids actually enjoy it.

http://www.mathswrap.co.uk/

x

Cammie Doodle
29-12-2010, 07:09 PM
lol, it was a Carol Vorderman set I got of Amazon I think, had magic x table finder, cd and chart with stickers:laughing:

this is a brill one , my son's school had his off him when he moved onto middle school. I have looked for it without much sucess for my mindees:( Will not give up looking though