PDA

View Full Version : Are you a minder with a dog or cat at home

louise2778
15-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone,

Am just getting started and am getting as much info as possible. One area I dont have much info about is pets. Would love to hear from any minders out there with family pets.

I have a dog (small and cute!) and 2 cheeky cats (kittens still really, 7 months old) and would like to hear what ofsted had to say about your pets and any advice you could give me would be great.

Got my first briefing session on 8th May.:thumbsup:

Louise x x x

ma7ie
15-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Louise.

We've got an elderly cat here. She tends to keep out of the way and I teach the children to leave her alone.

Ofsted don't have a problem with pets so long as you can show that they pose no risk to the children.

When I had my pre-reg inspection the Ofsted Inspector asked to see my cats vaccination record, asked me if I regularly wormed her, asked me whether the cats bowls and bedding would be out of the reach of the children.

I just make sure that in the morning before the children arrive, I move the food bowls and put the litter tray round the side of the house where the children have no access.

Good luck on the 8th :D

louise2778
15-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks Marie,

I guess its just common sense really but I didnt think about the vacs as I must admit my cats have not had them, will have to get that done then.

:clapping:

Trouble
15-04-2008, 03:21 PM
my cat is elderly and fast

the dog bless him lives in a different room all day but loves to come in a night time

ofsted were happy with that have a risk assessment

oh and guinea pigs live in the utility room kids love them

tulip0803
15-04-2008, 03:28 PM
When I minded in England I had a dog, 2 rabbits, 4 guinea pigs and 2 rats. OFSTED had no problem provided I could show that they posed no danger to the children, were wormed and the chidren could not get access to their foods.

Pets are a good way for children to learn about caring and animals in general. I had people place their children with me because I had a dog and they did not want their children to be afraid of dogs. The rats even sealed it for one family who loved pet rats:)

louise2778
15-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks everyone,

I had a few people trying to tell me that I could not childmind if I had a dog. Just shows they didnt know what theywere talking about!!

Thanks again x x :jump for joy:

Hopscotch
15-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I have got guinea pigs , they are so cute i love them what you could do is write a policy on pets to show the inspector with things in it like, you will ensure your pets have been vaccinated and that you will teach the children how to look after and care for animals and that you ensure that all children must wash their hands after petting them.

You could also do a risk assessment Ofsted would love that.
Bev X :laughing:

Trouble
15-04-2008, 03:33 PM
When I minded in England I had a dog, 2 rabbits, 4 guinea pigs and 2 rats. OFSTED had no problem provided I could show that they posed no danger to the children, were wormed and the chidren could not get access to their foods.

Pets are a good way for children to learn about caring and animals in general. I had people place their children with me because I had a dog and they did not want their children to be afraid of dogs. The rats even sealed it for one family who loved pet rats:)

ive had people come here because of my pets even a child with asthma and allergys

donnahay0
15-04-2008, 03:47 PM
My Kitten is just 6 months old. She is very good around the children and stays out of their way most of the time.

We covered a topic about pets and how we look after them. The children have learned how to treat her gently, play with her (when supervised) and to wash their hands afterwards. We covered other pets and their basic needs too. The kids loved it.

In previous inspections (had two old cats, sadly both have passed away now) I told Ofsted that I kept cat food dishes out of the way, work surfaces are disinfected am and before any meals are prepared, no litter trays in the house (whilst minding), checked for garden before children went out (would do this regardless anyway), cats are treated for fleas & worms & it is diarized. Parents are given a pet policy.

Ofsted love to tell you "it is your home afterall" (ha ha)

Mind you the cats usually stay out of the way most of the time.

sarah32
15-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I have no problems with my 2 dogs, they have the conservatory and kitchen but the kids can say hello to them through the gate.

Ofsted just wanted to know where they would be kept.

I actually got my last 2 mindess because of the dogs, kids not use to animals and mum wants them to be happy around animals.:)

Mollymop
15-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I have one dog , 1 hampster, tropical fish and 2 bearded dragon lizards and my inspector never mentioned them being a problem.
Just make sure you clean up any poo and litter, etc.

Twinkles
15-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Three cats, one dog , one rabbit , two fish , two rats , and about fifty stick insects.

Like everyone else has said make a pets policy, record their vaccinations , de-fleaing and worming routines.

I have had both reactions to the dog, one said no hated dogs and didn't want her child around one.
One said 'as soon as I walked in and saw the dog I knew I would send my son here.'

Trouble
15-04-2008, 03:53 PM
ive had stick insects so cool

Alibali
15-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I have a dog, up here in Scotland they want us do do a risk assessment and ensure kids don't handle food or bowls, thats about it. The mindees all love the dog and for most of them one of their 1st words is 'Diesel'. You may get some parents who aren't happyto send child to a minder with pets, but that's their choice.

Ali xx

louise2778
15-04-2008, 04:03 PM
So pleased to hear all of this. :o

Its just the same as when my daughters friends come over. The cats usually run off and hide somewhere quiet and I put the dog in the kitchen with the gate shut. All the food bowls and dog bed are in there so the kids cant get to them and I always disinfect the surfaces.

Plus my cats are getting "done" next month then I can let them out so they will prob be outside most of the day!

Louise x x

mum22
15-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi

I had 2 house rabbits for both my pre-reg and 1st inspection, they lived under the stairs and i put a gate up to stop little ones going under - they live outside now happily together and i let them run around the garden when the children are in the garden - again risk assessment and dont leave food or water bowls around and you shoud have no problems.

x
Helen

smithya85
15-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a dog but she'll be shut in the kitchen when im minding. Ive been told to do a risk assessment and have a policy on pets. also pick up poo every morning!! :(