PDA

View Full Version : How to start?

mrs_scottydog
14-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi,
I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me some idea how to start putting my mindee's journal together.
He 2yrs old and started with me at the beginning of September and I've been writing down observations since then. I got his mum to fill in a form about his sleeping, likes and dislikes and routine etc when he started which I thought I\d use as starting points but looking back at form now there isn't that much information on there, eg he likes cars and programmes on TV. Is this information supposed to go in the 'All About Me' section at the front.
From the observations I have taken, I know I need to link them into the 6 areas of learning but is it enough just to link it one of the areas or do I need to be more specific and link it to the different age group and part of the area, eg if I had an observation which covered writing would I put it as CLL or CLL writing 22-36months.
I really hope this makes sense, I'm getting really confused and worried as I just don't know where to start.
Many thanks,
Helen

naomiesian
28-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi, at the front of every childs LJ I have a picture of them, an all about me form which has been completed by parents, and then I put my obs in, when I link my obs I put the areas they link to, the aspect and also the age they fall into, I also use a tracking grid as this helps me to identify which ares I may need to work on a little more. I also put any art work or photo`s in the Lj. For the younger children in my care, 4 and unders, I give parents a new all about me sheet every 3 months as I find that they change routines and habits very quickly, this just helps me stay up to date and is also a great way to comunicate with parents about their child.
The trick is try to keep things as simple as you can, when I first started CM in march 2010 I spent my evenings and weekends surrounded with paperwork and was up until silly oclock writing and typing :eek: , now I print the forms I use so they are at hand and fill them in when I have time, either when children are sleeping or playing happily or in the evening after my own children have gone to bed.
Hope that helps a bit hun, it will get easier once you find a way that works best for you. Naomie xx

sarah707
28-12-2010, 07:39 PM
A learning journey starts with a child's photo because it is their book.

Then I always put their 'all about me' form because it shows parents they are the most important contributors to the learning journey.

Then I have a list of the Eyfs information taken from the guidance document for the child's age and stage of development.

I do my Learning Journeys monthly and put in observations followed by individual planning... plus info from parents and other settings as appropriate.

Every 6 months I write summary assessments which I use for planning the next 6 months.

I hope that helps :D