PDA

View Full Version : Am i making the right choice???? plz advice x

Rain or Shine
13-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi guys
I am newly registered and currently have no children. I have been approached by a lady with 2 children who is looking for cae before and after school for them both 4 days a week. She came to visit me and a few days later called and said she would like the kids to do 2 settling in days this week and then MAYBE some more hours in the new year.

Having these children i will need to use my car as there school is inconveinient to me 2 miles away, 3 other schools are just around the corner. Its costing £80 for business insurance and thats if My Dad becomes a partner in my business and a driver. I will only make £60 from the taster sessions and then wll have to pay for insurance that i may not need again.

Am i making the right descision to say i am unable to take on her children for this time period as its not financially viable???

So confused???????? :panic:

Goatgirl
13-12-2010, 05:12 PM
HI :),
I don't really understand about the insurance costs etc... but if you are supposed to be collecting the children from school for these 'settling in' sessions, then they sound more like actual work to me, then settling in. I wouldn't do it if it was costing me loads to do and I didn't at least have a contract stating there was a 4 week notice payment that would have to be paid if they decided not to continue...

Are you likely to get more work from this school do you think?
The money's tricky as its either side of a holiday, but my instinct says If they're not prepared to make a commitment and it'll possibly rule out work from closer schools it might be best to say no. Would they make a deposit against the spaces? You are quite entitled to refuse. You don't need a reason, but explaining that its not financially viable would be fine :).

Its hard to say no when you're desperate for work, but your gut will be telling you what's right. Listen to that.. Good luck :)

bws,
Wendy

sarah707
13-12-2010, 06:00 PM
I try not to accept work that will leave me at a disadvantage if other work comes along.

So I advertise for the 2 schools I can get to easily and say no to work from others.

I think you are right in what you are thinking :D

gigglinggoblin
13-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I think the bit that worries me the most is about your dad. Why does he have to be a partner? Does that mean he gets a share of the profits? Will your insurance company expect him to do most of the driving? WIll you expect him to do most of the driving? What if he wants time off or is ill? Or is it just a name on a bit of paper in which case have you any evidence he really is a partner incase you have an accident? Will they pay out if he isnt actually involved in the business?

It can take a while to get the right mindees but it is really worth the wait and they will come along.

Penny1959
14-12-2010, 04:13 PM
You have already had good advice

just 2 thoughts from me

Doing a school run is NOT settling in/ Settling in is when they come to your house to get used to you and your setting.

If car insurance going to cost too much - try to plan your business around the schools you can walk to - and manage without a car until you are earning enough to justify the cost.

Penny :)

PinkPrincess
14-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Having minded before I wouldn't take on anyone who MAYBE needs you in the New Year-this happened to me- was just needed to cover xmas shopping! If they had beem honest enough to say it was adhoc work then it wouldn't have been an issue but they didn't and I lost potential mindees!

I would agree settling in sessions need to be at your house for short periods only not collecting from school.

Whatever you decide hope it works out for you x

Dawn x

jane5
14-12-2010, 06:04 PM
You sound unsure about these mindees and I think you should trust your instincts.
I would wait to see if someone from a closer school comes along.
I know its hard to turn this money away and I have had 3 enquiries which were not the right school but now I am glad I turned them away (even though I still havent got mindees yet).

good luck
:thumbsup:

Rain or Shine
14-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys, i have turned them down as i can't justify the cost against the income.

All your messages were helpful and thought provoking, ta xx