PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling a contract before it starts!?

Schnakes
17-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to ask a question - has anyone ever cancelled a contract before it even starts?! The reason I ask is that Ive just signed contracts with a family (the same one on the varied times thread, if anyones interested!) and Ive just sat down and worked it all out and after getting them to school, which I'll need to do on the bus, I am hardly going to make any profit at all. (About £20 a week on a late start!!! :panic: )

Also, they have just casually thrown in to the mix that they "may" need some weekends (both days) and wont be having ANY leave over the Xmas holidays. I said that I dont usually work over Xmas and they got quite...argumentative...and then made it seem like I should cancel my entire Xmas leave cos it would only be a few hours. Well....I know its silly because I COULD do it...but I dont wanna!!!

My mind is spinning, as the whole meeting has thrown me. They seem a lot more demanding than first appearances would have it, and Im thinking it may not be worth the effort! I would feel awful though, cos Ive only just signed the ruddy thing!

I would be grateful for any advice etc.

Cheers,
Sx

Spangles
17-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Blimey! They sound like they're going to be nightmares to work with!

I'd cancel and quickly too if it were me!

I can't see why you can't cancel, they would if it was them I'm sure. Do you have the four weeks when either side can cancel with no notice? If so, I'd go for it!

I'd do it urgently so they have time to sort another childminder out and also try to do it really nicely because they could moan about you to potential future clients if you see what I mean.

angeldelight
17-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree with Lorri

What a cheek expecting you to work over christmas too

Do not make that mistake of letting them tell you how to run your business if you do not cancel this contract

I have done the same in the past - I had parents a few years ago who EXPECTED me to fit in with them a lot more than they fit in with me - I always moaned about it but not to them if you know what I mean

Start the way you mean to go on

I would cancel though are you having a 4 week settling in period ?

Angel xx

Trouble
17-12-2007, 08:48 PM
on contracts isnt the first few weeks trial and error with out notice also can you not tell them you have gone over your numbers by accident not that i encourage lying but a little white one wont hurt will it? especially if it makes you sleep at night!!!!!:)

Schnakes
17-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi - thanks for all your replies. Good to know Im not being high strung or something!! Thats what I felt like I was being!

I do have a four week settling period, so I think I'll see how it goes. Ive only cancelled a contract once (been minding 2 years now) but that was only cos the little lad really wasnt settling in, and I spent all my time dealing with him grizzling/having tantrums and it wasnt fair on the others - and even then I felt bad cos I thought "he only misses his mummy"!!! Argh!

I think I will first and foremost tell them that I AM having my time off, and they will have to pay for their childrens transport to school. Then I will see how it goes. I think that I was intimidated by the fact that there was two of them (usually I deal with the woman on her own. Not by choice, btw!!) and was so suprised by it all. Now Ive had time to calm down, I think that I need to remember my assertiveness training (!!) and remember a phrase I keep seeing on these boards - its your business - you make the rules!!!

Sx

ajs
17-12-2007, 09:32 PM
it's your business you make the rules

if you don't want to work christmas then don't
if you want to cancel the contract do it sooner rather then later though, better to get rid of them before they settle

Rubybubbles
17-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Never had it happen but have a 28 day settling in peroid were at any time either myself or the parent can pull out

Emma

angeldelight
17-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Good luck when you speak to the parents

We are all behind you

Angel xx

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi - just in case anyone is interested...I cancelled!!! I woke up at 3:40am today because I couldnt sleep for thinking about it, so I wrote them a letter explaining why I didnt feel it would work and dropped it round to them this morning...the chickens way out! But its done and I feel much better for having done it!

Sx

angeldelight
18-12-2007, 01:27 PM
You must have really wanted to do that if you went and did it

Hope they are ok with you

Glad you feel better now

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
18-12-2007, 01:38 PM
well done sometimes if it doesn't feel right it's not!!

I remember telling someone I wasn't going to have their dd after a really good visit it hurt her, but after I had worked out ages ect is wasn't worth the hassel or money!!

Feeling like a weight of your shoulders yes??

oakie dokie
18-12-2007, 01:44 PM
must admit glad you cancelled from your post it did not sound good, i do not like to be manipulated. well done

hazelx

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi - thanks for all your messages. I love this website - everyone is so...understanding!! (in both meanings of the word!)

Definately a weight off my shoulders. I do feel bad because they are going to have to start looking all over again, but I just had to do it. Phew!!!

Thanks again,
Sx

Rubybubbles
18-12-2007, 01:51 PM
S I think sometimes we forget to keep ourselves happy and want to please everyone else instead!!

;)

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes - by our very natures we are the kind, loving and giving types!!! :thumbsup:

Sx

angeldelight
18-12-2007, 02:33 PM
That is very true Emma

Sometimes I have been so stressed like when I ended a contract a few mths ago I just kept thinking of the parents and their child but in the end they did not think of me at all so I am glad I did what I had to do

It is a shame that the parents have got to start looking again but not your fault

You can have a lovely christmas now without all the worry of it

Yes we are understanding because we all know how you feel

Angel xx

emler
18-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi Schnakes

I've just caught up on this thread and wanted to say I think you have definately done the right thing. Well done - always trust your instincts.

Emler x

Schnakes
18-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi Elmer, thanks for the thumbs up! I just LOVE your cat pic! Heh!

Sx

Blaze
18-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I agree...I think you've one the right thing as well...:thumbsup: Hope you find some nice parents next!
Tasha:)

nannysue
18-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Well done, youv'e done the right thing. In my experience you know if it feels right and if it dosen't there must be a reason. I have a short term contract which i use for the first 28 days enabling either side to cancel without notice.This works well for me. Good luck in your future minding.

Sue x

miffy
19-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi Schnakes

Just catching up and def agree with everyone (and you) that you did the right thing - also much better to have done it now than started having the child and then cancelled IYSWIM

Think these parents could have been a real nightmare if expecting you to cancel your christmas to look after their child for a few hours was anything to go by.

Hope you are now getting a good nights sleep again!

Miffy x

wellybelly
01-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Ive wrote a list of my holidays to give to parents with my welcome pack and it also says when im off at Christmas. This then clarifys what i do before being asked. JUst thought it might help a situation arising.

Schnakes
02-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Katie - the last two years Ive worked right over Christmas, mainly to facilitate a midwife I have been working with. Thats why I have my charges etc for Xmas day and so on on my fee sheet. However, this year I decided to take leave...damn me and my insolence!!! ;) :p

Sx