PDA

View Full Version : Is croup contagious?

Minstrel
11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
My cousin's little girl (11 months) is in hospital with croup. We spend a lot of time together and I'm wondering if I should be worried about DD (3 months). I'm not entirely sure what it is and so what should I be looking out for?

DS2 has tonsilitus at the moment too so not a healthy family at the moment!

sonia ann
11-12-2010, 01:32 PM
croup is a response to any viral upper respiratory tract infection such as a cold...............you can't catch croup, but any child can develop croup as a result of an infection if you see what I mean

sonia ann
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/croup.html#a_About_Croup

Minstrel
11-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the link. X

sillysausage
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
As previously said, croup is a symptom of a cold, much the same as a runny nose or cough. You can't catch croup but you can catch the cold/virus so normal hygiene precautions you would take with a child who has a cold really.
Cold dry weather can make croup worse.

Minstrel
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Just had a text from my cousin. Poor baby isn't feeding so has a tube up her nose. Very dehydrated so will be kept in a second night :(

Trouble
11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
This is what i was lead to believe

What is croup? What causes it?

Croup is an infectious illness of the respiratory system involving the voice box and vocal cords (larynx), windpipe (trachea), and the airways leading to the lungs (bronchial tubes). It is usually caused by many different viruses, including those responsible for the common cold and influenza. Occasionally, it is caused by a bacterial infection. Croup can result in serious breathing difficulties in children. It is more common in babies over 6 months of age and young children, and it occurs more often in boys than girls. It tends to occur more often in the winter months when the weather is colder.

Is croup contagious?

Croup is contagious, and it is usually spread by airborne infectious droplets sneezed or coughed into the air by infected children. When infectious droplets are inhaled by a healthy child, symptoms can develop in two to three days. The infection can also be spread by infected mucus deposited on doors, furniture, toys, and other objects. A healthy child can become infected by accidentally touching the infectious mucus and transferring the infection into his/her mouth.

What are the symptoms of croup?

Approximately two or three days after being infected, the child notices increasing hoarseness and sore throat. A hacking "croupy" cough develops which sounds like a barking seal and becomes worse at night. Gagging and vomiting can occur with coughing. The cough is usually accompanied by a fever (100.4 to 104 degrees F; 38 to 40 degrees C). The infection causes swelling of the larynx and impairs air passage. A harsh crowing sound ("stridor") during inhaling can be heard when the child's air passage becomes abnormally narrowed. If this should occur, immediate evaluation by a physician is recommended. Even though most children with croup are cared for at home, those with breathing difficulties, high fever, or dehydration may need to be hospitalized. Infants with croup are grumpy, tired, and have poor appetites. The major part of the illness lasts for three days. A wet cough can continue for another two weeks. It is also possible to acquire the infection more than once.

hope she gets better soon xxxxx

Mollymop
12-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Hope baby recovers quickly xx

ORKSIE
12-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Hope baby recovers quickly xx

me too xxx