PDA

View Full Version : Do we have to use NCMA Contracts?

Chatterbox Childcare
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
I went to the NCMA conference a couple of weeks ago and there was a Solicitor representing NCMA there and I asked the question.

In short the answer is NO but it is easier for us to be represented if we do as they know that their contracts, if completed correctly, are airtight.

They tell me that they will represent any NCMA member who needs to claim for £150 or more.

They are also aware that there have been problems with advice being given by the help line and there are actions underway to stop this.

Also at the conference was NCMA asking for ideas for online training and I suggested a course on how to complete the contracts so that they are airtight, so lets see what they do!

rickysmiths
07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I went to the NCMA conference a couple of weeks ago and there was a Solicitor representing NCMA there and I asked the question.

In short the answer is NO but it is easier for us to be represented if we do as they know that their contracts, if completed correctly, are airtight.

They tell me that they will represent any NCMA member who needs to claim for £150 or more.

They are also aware that there have been problems with advice being given by the help line and there are actions underway to stop this.

Also at the conference was NCMA asking for ideas for online training and I suggested a course on how to complete the contracts so that they are airtight, so lets see what they do!

Thats a great idea. Lets wait and see what happens.

Playmate
07-12-2010, 05:48 PM
We will watch this space :D We have looked at designing our own contracts, because I'm not entirely happy with all the blurb on third page of NCMA contract. I personally think the parents don't read it because it is to over whelming. Only problem is just don't seem to have the time to sit an write one :rolleyes: , so just carry on using NCMA's because its easier.

miffy
07-12-2010, 05:55 PM

While there are boxes on the contract for people to write in their own terms and conditions I can't see how an NCMA contract is any more water-tight than one you've written yourself.

Good idea about the on-line training course though

Miffy xx

Playmate
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Mick is going to bring this up at next NPF meeting in February. Never hurts to re-enforce these things :D

Penny1959
07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't use NCMA contracts because do not meet my needs and if going to have to hand write own bits and tick / not tick various boxes - I think would be confusing and have potential to not be water tight.

I write my own and tailor each one to each parents needs.

However well aware that will not get same level of support as if used NCMA contracts.

Would LOVE to see some online training / guidance - as a former DO new cm's were often confused and asking for clarification.

Penny :)

aly
07-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Maybe they can give the welsh minders short term contracts....they are available for the english minders but not us welsh ones and I cannot understand why when short term care is often needed and not just by region etc.

x

Chatterbox Childcare
10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
While there are boxes on the contract for people to write in their own terms and conditions I can't see how an NCMA contract is any more water-tight than one you've written yourself.

Good idea about the on-line training course though

Miffy xx

I think it is put that way because they are tried and tested in court.

miffy
10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
I think it is put that way because they are tried and tested in court.

I understand what you're saying Debbie, but still can't see that they are watertight when childminders are adding their own wording to them.

Will be interesting to see what Mick gets back from NPF.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I watch this space keenly. I still really have no faith in NCMA at all - renewal is due start of Jan.

To be honest, if you are writing your own contracts it would always be wise to get them checked over by a solicitor I suppose but I do think NCMA are still giving it the hard sell by almost brainwashing their customers (us) - the contracts are 'watertight' and 'tried and tested in court'. The contracts are no more 'watertight' than any other contract (bearing in mind we have verbal contracts and what one solicitor told me - ANY agreement written down on paper and signed/dated by all parties is a contract that can be used in court).
NCMA and their hard sell.

I am glad that things are afoot to rectify their 'service' (I use that term loosely) and frankly it cannot come soon enough.

I think the online training and information would be a fabulous idea.