PDA

View Full Version : Wow, what a traumatic day!

manjay
03-12-2010, 06:21 PM
My fantastic hubby only left home 9 hours ago and already I feel like my right arm has been chopped off:rolleyes: . Dd has just tried to work out how many sleeps until he comes home but as we are not sure it is a little difficult. We are guessing somewhere around 115:eek:

He really struggled to keep it together this morning as he took our 4 yr old ds to school and then again when he said goodbye to me and my dd:( His parting words to me were to try not to be as stubborn as normal and accept help from others!! Gosh he knows me so well.

He is at Heathrow at the moment and is just about to board his flight to Cape Town. He has never even been on a plane without me before!

I have set up a blog for him so he can keep us all updated with his expedition progress

I think it is going to be very long few months

Andrea08
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
(((Huggz))) wow can i ask why he going?

hes right you should ask for help if you need it hun xxx

theplayroom
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Wow! Poor you im sure you will soon get used to it my hubby works away all wek but is back at weekends.....blog what a good idea!! :clapping:

manjay
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I am used to him working away a few weeks at a time but never for this long before!. He is off on his dream job to work on a research station in Antarctica! and yes he is mad:D (kind of has to be married to me!)

SamBaker
03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Mine too, week after week, sometimes he's only home one night a week. This week has been really tough as all my friends husbands have been home due to the snow. My hubby's a long distance lorry driver. It is hard but you get to watch what ever you want on telly!!:clapping: I am terrible for asking for help lol so I wont preach to much lol!

Playmate
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
It doesn't seem 5 mins since you started talking about his trip, so I'm so it won't be long before he's home again. sending hugs :group hug:

sarah707
03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
:group hug: :group hug:

singingcactus
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I have set up a blog for him so he can keep us all updated with his expedition progress

Any chance a blog could be set up so you can share pics and stuff with us all. I know I'd love to hear about EVERYTHING there :), and my own kids would tune in daily to hear about it all. Not your family blog cos that is personal of course.

The four months will be gone quicker than you think - honest. The first couple of weeks will be the slowest, then you'll set up a routine and before you know it you'll be tripping over his boots and telling him again to hang his coat up on the hook not the sofa etc etc.

wendywu
03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
One day in the distant future, when all the children have grown up and are happily settled, when you and DH have grown old together. You will both be sitting in your rocking chairs with the grand children playing round your feet.

Then this time apart will seem like one split second out of your long glorious history together.

Chin up girl, why even tomorrow you will be 1 day nearer to him coming home.:thumbsup:

ajs
03-12-2010, 06:46 PM
oh manjay big hugs to you

i know it's going to be hard but remember you've always got us

i know what you mean about asking for help, i never do and get told off for it but i hate being let down so i would rather do it myself and never ask for help then i know i can never be let down.

be in touch if there's anything we can do for you please xxxxx

manjay
03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Mandy one day in the distant future, when all the children have grown up and are happily settled, when you and DH have grown old together. You will both be sitting in your rocking chairs with the grand children playing round your feet.

Then this time apart will seem like one split second out of your long glorious history together.

Chin up girl, why even tomorrow you will be 1 day nearer to him coming home.:thumbsup:

Ah bless you! Not quite ready for my rocking chair and grandchildren yet but of course you are right!

The blog will be for all to see - I have made him promise not to swear:rolleyes:

Trouble
03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Bless you and him and the kids xxxxx:( :( :(

it will be a fantastic experience for him and the kids will love seeing him and seeing what hes up to:)

He will be back before you know it xxxx

tulip0803
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
:group hug: :group hug:

kindredspirits
03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Sending hugs - we're all here for you xx

~Chelle~
03-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Sending you hugs. I hope the time away passes very quickly xx

babs
03-12-2010, 07:48 PM
sending you some hugs...........:group hug: :group hug:

Monkey1
03-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Sending Hugs, and Neil is right...don't be stuborn!:thumbsup:

manjay
03-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Sending Hugs, and Neil is right...don't be stuborn!:thumbsup:

Oh but I can't help it;)

Blaze
03-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Blimey - that came around quick! :eek: ... Bless you all xxx

manjay
03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your support everyone. I have just heard that the plane has finally taken off after sitting on the runway for 3 hours waiting to be de-iced:rolleyes:

Pauline
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
The last few days has been good practice for Antarctica!! :laughing:

Time will fly and he will be back before you know it in the meantime you have us ...... mmmmm I can see your problem :D

So lovely that he will be able to do a blog, this whole internet malarky has its uses eh?

Take care :)

Polly2
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Sending lots and lots of love :group hug: to you and kids. It must have been a really emotional day :(

You know I am here if you want to talk xxxxx

Let us know he got there ok, thinking of you x

Tatia
04-12-2010, 08:35 AM
You are so brave to have encouraged him to take his dream job. :)

OMG, think of the mileage you'll have from THAT for years to come!!!:laughing:

The Juggler
04-12-2010, 09:08 AM
sending a mahooosive hug honeyxx

manjay
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
He has just called from Cape Town to say he has arrived there safely. He has had the search of his bags that he expected due to the tools he was carrying:rolleyes: but they didn't find anything untoward. There are about 10 others with him and half of their bags didn't make it on the flight and are following later today! Which is a bit of a problem since the ship is supposed to be sailing early this afternoon!

I am off to my mums now for the day for some company and to do my washing as my machine couldn't be fixed yesterday. I have to wait until next Friday:(

Polly2
04-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Glad he got there safely. Have a lovely day at your mums, hope kids ok xx

Carol M
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Glad he is there safely.
The time will fly, what an experience he will be able to share:thumbsup:
Carol xx

Ripeberry
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
It's supposed to be warmer in Antartica than it is in parts of the UK at the moment . He is escaping the weather! :D

nannymcflea
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Hugs to you. xxxx

manjay
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
The ship will hopefully be leaving tomorrow once everyones luggage arrives. So that means he has had a day in Cape Town today where he has been wearing shorts it is so hot:D

I have put some of the pictures he has sent me on FB

ORKSIE
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
T

I have put some of the pictures he has sent me on FB

have seen them.:thumbsup:

You are both very brave, big hugs to you both xxx

manjay
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Well we have lost contact now as he is in the middle of the ocean somewhere!!!:rolleyes:

He has made one entry on his blog (http://nejsantarcticantics.blogspot.com/) and you can get loads more information on the trip and his destination here (http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/living_and_working/virtual/travel/halley.php). We have our map on the wall and the mindees are going to plot his journey using the BAS site too.

Polly2
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Thats a great idea to plot his journey :thumbsup: I will be following his blog :)

PixiePetal
05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Feels a bit odd following someone elses husbands blog, but I will be :)

Hope all goes well and chin up, you know where we all are :thumbsup:

keeks
06-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Feels a bit odd following someone elses husbands blog, but I will be :)

Hope all goes well and chin up, you know where we all are :thumbsup:

Agree with both statements! :D

:group hug:

xx

manjay
06-12-2010, 09:13 AM
It's not weird at all!! He set it up for anyone who is interested in his journey. It's much easier than trying to contact all our friends and family.

My mindees have been looking at the webcam this morning but they are not very impressed that all you can see is sea:laughing:

ORKSIE
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I
My mindees have been looking at the webcam this morning but they are not very impressed that all you can see is sea:laughing:

Awwww Bless :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: