PDA

View Full Version : Winter Theme planning

terrydoo73
28-11-2010, 06:20 PM
This is what I have so far - I know some things can fit into more than one area of learning but if you think I could add more please suggest!!

Communication, Language and Literacy

12 books based around winter ie The Mitten, Snow Friends, Snowball etc
Poems - Mittens for snow time, Winter Theme Poem, Once there was a Snowman, A chubby snowman
Talking about the changes in weather using pictures

Personal, social and emotional development

Using group activities such as painting, reading, talking etc to share, take turns and learning to express feelings etc

Physical Development

Penguin bowling set
Pass the ice cube (same as pass the parcel!)
Songs to music - Mitten Song, Snow Song, Mittens on My hand, Sing a Song of Winter, Five Little Snowmen
Pin the nose on the snowman

Early Mathematical, Science and Technology Experiences

Winter Puzzles including Postman Pat
Winter lotto matching shapes and figures
Using snowflake pictures counting points

Creative and Aesthetic Development

Using winter clothes learning how to dress appropriately
Igloo tent, sleeping bags, cooking stove, saucepan for role play
Using playdough to make hand prints, snowballs, snowmen
Making clay mitten pieces, snowmen baking activity
Making mitten shapes, snowmen shapes, snowflake shapes with arts and crafts materials
Painting using bell peppers, forks and white paint to create icicles

Knowledge and Understanding of the Environment

Caring for birds by preparing feeders and using pine cones rolled in peanut butter
Talking about winter weather
Using soft toys to discuss how animals cope with cold weather

sarah707
28-11-2010, 08:03 PM
You have some lovely activity ideas to start a winter theme there!

The rest can come from following the children's interests.

For example, if they enjoy finding out about snowmen you can do more on that...

if they enjoy making the bird feeders you can read the robin poem, make hand print robins etc.

enjoy :D

angiemog
01-12-2010, 02:59 PM
You have some lovely activity ideas to start a winter theme there!

The rest can come from following the children's interests.

For example, if they enjoy finding out about snowmen you can do more on that...

if they enjoy making the bird feeders you can read the robin poem, make hand print robins etc.

enjoy :D
Sarah's comment is spot on.... follow the child's interests aswell. I have all under 3s and I used to spend ages planning lots of wonderful crafts and activities linked with lots of themes and found my time was wasted. It really depends on the ages and personalities of your mindees but I wasn't reaching them with MY wonderful ideas. I have a few planned activities ready linked with seasons/festivals/celebrations and the rest are usually last minute. This week I had a couple Autumn crafts planned but they have been put to one side because of the snow. I came up with a few very quick snowy crafts as they all were all loving the snow. We've started on Christmas songs about snowmen........ and we have read stories which have pictures of snow. I don't know how long the snow will last but while it is here and the children are still interested we will go with the snowy theme.
I still search for ideas and print and file when I find ones that I like. I am finding more and more though that I don't use them it's more very last minute grabbing a few supplies and some quick cutting. x