PDA

View Full Version : Teacher threatened letter Home over Spellings!

oakie dokie
26-11-2010, 07:21 PM
My daughter who is in the Beat Dyslexia Group, the teacher said if they don't get more than 6 spellings right next week then she will send a letter home to parents! :angry: :eek: my daughter was very upset and anxious about this threat!.....me well i'm so angry they threatened this, what are they thinking? do you think i'm over reacting?.. I called the school and relayed my anger to the secretary because the head was not available....yet again!!
I don't think this is the way to teach children how to spell!

Hebs
26-11-2010, 07:26 PM
My daughter who is in the Beat Dyslexia Group, the teacher said if they don't get more than 6 spellings right next week then she will send a letter home to parents! :angry: :eek: my daughter was very upset and anxious about this threat!.....me well i'm so angry they threatened this, what are they thinking? do you think i'm over reacting?.. I called the school and relayed my anger to the secretary because the head was not available....yet again!!

not a chance!!
i'd be livid, i remember my niece (who has dyslexia) was given lines by her teacher mum went mad and the head put him under disaplinary action :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
26-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Spelling tests are pointless, it has been proven so, so why do schools keep doing them?:rolleyes:

I'd be livid too especially for a child with dyslexia that could be lacking in confidence.:mad:

jue
26-11-2010, 08:03 PM
bet you cant wait for her to leave that school

charlie potato
26-11-2010, 09:01 PM

I'd go in and demand to speak to the head teacher. I've been fobbed off by the secretary and learnt that to get any sort of discussion go straight to the school and stand my ground. xx

Pipsqueak
26-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I would be straight into school, requesting a formal meeting with the head and the teacher and putting in a formal complaint.
Where is the differentiation, where is the treating each child on their own merits, grrrr this really pees me off.

westbrom44
26-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I think this is disgusting! My son is dyslexic and has always struggled with spelling. If your daughter is getting her spellings wrong then she should be supported by the school.
I would put your grevience to the school in writing so that it is on record and they will have to do something.

ORKSIE
27-11-2010, 12:46 AM
!

neither do I....this is bullying!!:panic: :panic:

Penny1959
27-11-2010, 04:47 AM
For goodness sake - what was the teacher thinking of?

My daughter is dyslexic - and struggled all through school without any support or even being tested.

She was told at 12 to stop dreaming about doing exams and think about working in a supermarket because she was THICK!

Luckily my daughter has my stuborn streak and would not give up on her dreams.

She did her GCSE's - passed - told not worth doing A levels - but told head she was doing them - and passed.

Applyed to go to uni - failed extra tests to get on her course - appealed - took re test - passed - got onto her course.

Then she met a lecturer who recognised her needs and got her tested for dyslexia (was extreme in 2 of 4 areas and moderate in other 2 areas - had reading age of 12 year old )

Finally got the support she needed.

Last month we went to her graduation.

She is now a qualified TEACHER (got a 2.1) - so please all of you with dyslexic children or mindees - tell them to dream - tell them they can achieve anything if they try enough .

Penny :)

Pipsqueak
27-11-2010, 08:05 AM

My daughter is dyslexic - and struggled all through school without any support or even being tested.

She was told at 12 to stop dreaming about doing exams and think about working in a supermarket because she was THICK!

She did her GCSE's - passed - told not worth doing A levels - but told head she was doing them - and passed.

Applyed to go to uni - failed extra tests to get on her course - appealed - took re test - passed - got onto her course.

Then she met a lecturer who recognised her needs and got her tested for dyslexia (was extreme in 2 of 4 areas and moderate in other 2 areas - had reading age of 12 year old )

She is now a qualified TEACHER (got a 2.1) - so please all of you with dyslexic children or mindees - tell them to dream - tell them they can achieve anything if they try enough .

what a determined and inspiring young lady you have there Penny. You must be so proud and she is a credit also to YOUR support and hard work input.
My son is Dyslexic and we work really hard together to not see 'barriers' and 'can't do's'.

Tell your daughter - well done:thumbsup: :clapping:

Bear23
27-11-2010, 09:08 AM

you must be so very proud of her!!

oakie dokie
29-11-2010, 01:01 PM
spoke over the phone to head today, she is very upset that I said it was a threat and bullying!...she said there was no mention of 6 but relayed what the teacher did say which was addressed to the whole class (which i didn't deny!) thats what my dd said. teacher said "if you continually get less than 2 spellings then she will have to send a letter home to parents" which to me is a threat to send home a letter! am I wrong?????? and to me that she is also bullying/scaring them into doing them at home by threatening to send home letters! am I wrong again??????
I didn't get chance to say much more as she said that she was going to end it here, thank you ,goodbye!!!! as she put the reciever down I said "your so rude"!!! she didn't hear that as the reciever had already been put down :angry:
Please if i am wrong please tell me!... and why would my daughter lie? she has no reason to, but they do!!!
Of course I am so angryand upset about all this, this women is so out of her depth!!

Pipsqueak
29-11-2010, 02:18 PM
No you are not wrong and for the teacher to threaten that - it would put the fear of god into many children and for some children that could be a pivotal moments between them being able to go home (what I am trying to say is that some parents are not rational about these things).

Think you need to put the complaint in writing hun - pointing out where it contravenes ECM and the like and how its directly affected your daughter.
I would also explain what you want the outcome to be.
Also then complain about the head putting the phone down etc.

If you get no joy start going up the chain.....

oakie dokie
29-11-2010, 05:08 PM
further update, and thank you pipsqueek.
I asked 2 children (seperatly) out of the same spelling group "can you remember how many spellings the teacher said you had to try to get right before they would send a letter home?" both answered 6 :eek: the head has not only now lied but she has made my daughter out to be a liar :eek: :angry: :angry: :angry:

the head told me quite bluntly, there was no mention of 6 spellings and that it was 2 spellings, i know why because my dd got 3 right.
this head is seriously out of her depth (her 1st post).
sorry but i am so cross because this has happened so many times!!!!

Pipsqueak
29-11-2010, 07:16 PM
sorry but i am so cross because this has happened so many times!!!!

take action now and quickly:thumbsup: