PDA

View Full Version : frustrated with my neighbour

kindredspirits
20-11-2010, 09:45 PM
grrr... I have a very very elderly neighbour - she lives alone and can't move around at all (MS, curvature of the spine, athritus - the list goes on.)
She has her daughter and a helper round throughout the days to help her out but refuses to go into a nursing home etc.
She called me tonight almost in tears - her carbon monoxide alarm keeps going off - she wanted me to go round and take out the batteries. :panic: I told her she needed to call someone to get some help. Her DD is on holiday and she can't get hold of the helper. Shes a very grumpy old lady BUT i refused to go round and just take the batteries out. I called the gas emergency line and they sent someone round - i went over to let them in - i know the code to her keysafe and she has not stopped moaning at me. :rolleyes: The gas people said they couldn't check her CO2 levels so have shut her gas off at the mains and supplied fan heaters to keep her warm tonight until it can be checked properly..
I know 100% I have done the right thing, not just by her - making sure she is safe and doesn't get CO2 poisening, but also by myself - imagine if she died during the night and someone happened to ask how the batteries ended up out of the alarm.... it could possibly be seen as some sort of legal issue and really not worth the risk.
Just wish that the miserable old bag would see that I am trying to help rather than just being a pain. :(

~Chelle~
20-11-2010, 10:01 PM
You did the right thing, imagine if you took the batteries out and something happened to her??

She will just have to lump it! lol x

rickysmiths
20-11-2010, 11:45 PM
You did the right thing and at least they have given her heaters for the night. Does she cook by gas? If she does maybe you could take in a hot meal on a plate as a one off or a bowl of soup.?

Chimps Childminding
20-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I agree you did exactly the right thing. Imagine you had taken the batteries out like she asked and there was a carbon monoxide issue :eek:

Much better to be safe than sorry - even if she doesn't think so :angry:

brightstar
21-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Just a thought, but my CO2 detector keeps beeping when the batteries need changing. I know you wouldn't have known something like that, I think you did the right thing. But how irresponsible of her daughter to go away and not leave a contact number. What if something bad happened to her mum :eek:

CHEEKY BEE
21-11-2010, 09:59 AM
You did the right thing. The detector is there for a reason and if it went off it needs to be checked.

I had a faulty detector once, it was a british gas one and these do not have batteries that can be removed. I contacted National Grid who came out and shut the gas off.

I have British Gas cover so I called them out to check it all, and they were happy the boiler was safe and put the gas back on. Has she got any sort of cover?

Your neighbour should be grateful for your help.

:)

ORKSIE
21-11-2010, 01:05 PM
The detector may be faulty....but how are you to know, rest assured you did the right thing.

Hope they get her sorted soon.:thumbsup:

Erika
21-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Next time she asks for help, refuse point blank on the basis that the last time you helped her, you got nothing but an ungrateful attitude in response.

That ought to make her think twice.

Could always say that your insurance only covers you in your own home and you aren't willing to jeopardise your professional position by doing something that her own carers are responsible for, just in case you do the wrong thing.

By the way - you did the right thing.