PDA

View Full Version : Here we go then....

melfish
17-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Got APPROVED today. Feel a bit odd - spent so long waiting for that certificate, now it's here I'm not sure what to do! does anyone put up ads in shops or do you get mindees from word of mouth? It has taken soooo long i'm not sure it's true...

sarah707
17-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I get a lot of business from word of mouth - if you can go to the local toddler groups with a brochure it will really help!

There is a lot of free advertising out there, I wouldn't recommend paying for it.

The local shop might be a good place to start :D

SaijaM
17-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Well done :clapping:
I also think word of mouth is the way forward... I have never had to advertise and I'm having to turn people away... Hope that lasts :)

Good luck xxxxx

melfish
20-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks I will need to sort our something to take to local toddler groups, do you take a flyer or a whole prospectus / brochure. PS I thinkthe other childminders at the group are a bit competitive - has anyone found this? Maybe I'm just paranoid...

sarah707
20-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes they can be a bit like that in most areas I think, especially til they get to know you.

Try going to the groups and chatting to people, you may find they pass on calls if they are full.

Good luck! :D

handeme
26-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Yes, I agree. I am just starting out and I find that the other childminders in my area are so rude to each other.

I will talk to anyone and are such a friendly person but now the childminders that I did used to speak with have found out that I am going to start minding barely talk now

c x

Andrea08
26-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I would put a card or poster up in your local children's centre,, mention to local nurseries your are registered...(some can be nice and pass on your info)..tell local schools your are available for morning and afternoon school runs esp if their after school club is full,..put cards up in local paper shop, spar etc... go to drop ins and introduce yourself..

:clapping: well done and good luck hun xx

melfish
26-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for that...went to a group today and met a lovely childminder, I think the difference is that she has only just registered as well. The ones who have been doing it for ages are v unfriendly. Dunno why! I plan to be friendly even when I have been doing it for years, especially to newly registered childminders cos i know how it feels!

melfish
26-11-2010, 05:56 PM
PS I am sure they are not all like that, just a few who stand out because of it...

mrs_scottydog
26-11-2010, 10:22 PM
We were advised that we can't put posters up at our Children's Centre unless it's been approved by the NCMA. I'm not sure if it's the same at all the centres, probably worth checking with the manager.
We also advertised in local shops and the village notice boards aswell as the village magazine. Have had some enquiries through word of mouth too Hx

melfish
26-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I put a poster up in a shop today, and one in a cafe....feel a bit shy about doing it but I know it's a good way to get the word out! I would never make it on the apprentice, too cowardly!

Penny1959
27-11-2010, 05:39 AM
I got several of my mindees through Childcare.co.uk - and this week had an enquiry through them for full time twins.

Also got car sticker and had T-shirt printed (small logo on front - huge one on back and website address and phone number) wore it everywhere when needing to fill places.

Our children's centres do not let anyone advertise - but can't stop me wearing my T.Shirt!

Good luck with filling your places - It took me 5 months from registration - which semed like forever - but now full and just registered an assistant due to demand.

Penny :)

melfish
27-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes we get people looking at us on childcare.co.uk, but not sure if its worth paying to message people? I spose one of us needs to pay or its just window shopping. Did you message them or they you?

PS went to shop where I put the poster and no-one has taken one of the little cards i supplied booo

Penny1959
27-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes we get people looking at us on childcare.co.uk, but not sure if its worth paying to message people? I spose one of us needs to pay or its just window shopping. Did you message them or they you?

PS went to shop where I put the poster and no-one has taken one of the little cards i supplied booo

I paid - so could message them - tbh I would have tried anything that within my limited budget - paying for childcare.co was worth every penny.

Penny :)

melfish
27-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Right maybe I will fork out then!