PDA

View Full Version : Contraceptive Implant

Minstrel
17-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm going to have this put in this afternoon. Has anyone any experience of the procedure?

No horror stories please as I am nervous enough already.

I have been told I'll have a local anaesthetic and to ideally take someone with me as it can make some people feel light headed. Since I can't take anyone I have agreed with the doctor I will stay in the surgery for 45 mins after. I will have DD with me so don't want to go fainting! Has it made any of you feel faint? Have also got to walk and push the pram home because I'm not to drive for 6-8 hours after.

Please tell me it doesn't hurt!

SamWilliams1980
17-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I had Implanon in August time after being on the depo for a few years and begining to have probs.

It was the practice nurse who did my procedure. I didnt have to stay for 45 mins, but being an ex practice nurse myself I do understand that different GP surgeries have different policies on such procedures.

So what happened,

I lay on a couch with the back up so i was totally flat and lay my arm turned slightly (they inserted it almost to my inner arm). It was a comfortable position. I had a l;ocal anaesthetic. Which I will be honest I clenched my teeth and tensed up as I hate injections, a slight sting later (honestly thats all) she was testing the area to make sure it was sufficiently numb, then got the implant.

It is inserted by injection too. Please dont be put off byt the size of the needle when you see it. I am not gonna lie cause you will see for your self its pretty damn big (and wide) and I thought OMG that is gonna hurt like hell arrrghh! I promise you on my kiddies life it did not hurt a bit when she injected it. I felt the pushing sensation but that is it!!!!

Obviously cause the needle is wide bore it took a little while to stop bleeding. And my only down side to this is that it took a couple of weeks to heal properly. But that is it. My arm had a bit of a dull ache for a few days too. But now its done and in and I can forget about contraception for 3 years.

Dont be afraid of the procedure and if you are unsure at anything at anytime just ask the nurse or doctor. That is what they are there for.

hope that helps

Sam xx

Mouse
17-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I had some about 15 years ago. I think they were different to the ones they do nowdays, but I'm sure the process is similar.
Mine consisted of about 7 little rods that were inserted into my upper, inner arm. It was a long time ago, but I don't remember any pain or discomfort at all. My arm did bruise up afterwards, but then I'm prone to bruising anyway. I had them in for a couple of years without any problems at all.

They did start to go wrong after a while, and GPs stopped using the sort that I'd had. It was all a new thing back then & when I went to gave them removed the GP did struggle a bit as he'd not had the full training on taking them out!

Minstrel
17-11-2010, 12:16 PM
That helps a lot thank you.

I think the doctor was just concerned that I will have my baby who is only 10 weeks and doesn't want me having an accident whilst carrying her. I'll be collecting my other two from school across the road anyway so I don't mind waiting in the surgery till then.

I'm not scared of injections but the one they use to put the implant in with sounds scary!!

Can you feel it in your arm? One person has said no and another yes. Do you have a scar?

SamWilliams1980
17-11-2010, 12:16 PM
OMG Mouse, that sounds awful, poor you.

Minstrel, the implant is in one part - promise. x

Minstrel
17-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Mouse. I also bruise easily so thanks for the warning!

SamWilliams1980
17-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I do have a very small scar, the size of a small spot on my inner arm. But I think that is partly to do with the fact that it took so long for me to heal. Yes I can feel it very slightly if i run my finger over the area. But nothing horrific tho and there is no big lump or anything. :)

Minstrel
17-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you very reassuring. I'll let you know how I get on! :D

sarah32
17-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I had my inplant put in about a year ago, I had my 2 daughters with me, I didnt feel a thing, I had to lay for couple of minutes afterwards, then went home, no problems.

Does itch sometimes, but dont know if thats me.

Honestly, nothing to worry about.:)

solly
17-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Hope everything went ok with the implant

little miss chatterbox
17-11-2010, 04:37 PM
hope it goes well, let us know how it goes. I keep thinking about having it done too

Minstrel
17-11-2010, 05:21 PM
All done!

It was fine actually, much better than I anticipated. Sharp scratch for the local to go in and waited about 5 minutes for it to take effect. The doctor actually said it was a brand new style (same thing as before but a new shape and instrument to insert it with) and although she had been trained on it a few weeks ago, I was her first 'real' patient. :eek: Absolutely fine though and she explained it has been designed so that it can't be accidently put in too deeply like though other one could have been as it had relied on a good technique.

I was concerned that the local hadn't worked as I didn't feel any different but she asked me to look away and I didn't feel whatever she tested me with! Kept looking away and apart from her fingers on my arm, I didn't feel a thing!

I have a dressing on and a bandage to keep pressure on it. Fingers are a little tingly and weak but no pain or anything.

If you are considering having it done then I say go for it.

Thanks for all your help!

SamWilliams1980
17-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Glad it went fine, now done need to think about it for 3 yrs woo hoo :laughing:

Playmate
17-11-2010, 09:08 PM
just cathing up on posts, glad all went well. Ihad my first one in 3.5 years ago and had it removed and another inserted in april. Best thing Ive had done in my life, no pain, no pms and Ive only had about 5 periods in that time too (that is after initial light bleeding for about 4-5 weeks) :D Sometimes my arm does feel a little sensative, but I do have sensative skin any way.