PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses

sarah707
16-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Ds has decided he wants lenses for his Christmas present.

I've been looking online for options and tbh I am overwhelmed by the choices.

He's been wearing focus dailies trial ones and they are fiddly to get in but ok once they are on his eyes.

I'm not reading particularly good reviews for them though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lenses or an online supplier please? :D

Mollymop
16-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I wear contact lenses all day and then glasses in the evening. I went along to my opticians who knew what contact lenses were best for me. Because I have astigmatism I have to wear soft lenses, they are monthly ones, which you have to clean every time you remove them and they last the month. I am also on a scheme where I pay a few quid more a month and then I get free check ups, care and replacement lenses if one splits/gets lost (which is ideal for me as I always split one it seems every few months!)

Contact lenses can be really fiddly to get in a first but as you get used to them they are easier to put in. My lenses cost £22.50 a month and that is with the aftercare and free replacements and delivery to me every 3 months

Polly2
16-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Same here! I get mine through Specsavers they are monthly and you get regular contact lense checks in with the price.

I would always get them with an opticians as it makes sure I go for my checkups. If not I know I would not find the time. I think it costs me about £12 a month but then I pay a bit more as I also have astigmatism.

You get money off glasses when you pay DD also :thumbsup:

tashaleee
16-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I do use focus dailies and have done for quite a few years - I dont know what 'bad' things you have read about them but I havent found any problems personnally

I used to use the monthly ones but struggled to ensure I cleaned them properly and always wondered if I had - the last straw was when I got conjunctivitis and kept reinfecting myself :blush: :panic:

Downside to the dailies is they are more expensive

Would go through an optician as they do check the lens 'fits' properly rather than buying them off the internet (at least initially) :thumbsup:

kats
16-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi, ive worn contacts for 30 years now and i would say that by far the dailies are the best, there is so much less chance of infection with them because you throw them away at the end of each day. It takes a while to get used to putting any lenses in the eye and especially the dailies because they are quite flimsy compared to the monthly ones but once you get the knack its easy. My 15 year old son has just started to wear them under my supervision, he is just able to put them in himself after about 10 days of wearing them. Always see an optician though because you then get the follow up care :)

Stormy
16-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I got my lenses fitted and prescribed through my optician then when I knew I was ok with them I then bought them on line but always ensured I had annual checks.Mine were two weekly disposables.
I have used www.VisionDirect.co.uk.they were about 60% cheaper than the opticians price.
Prices do compare and some companies ask you to fax an up to date prescription to them before they release the lenses.

The Juggler
16-11-2010, 10:46 PM
i wear acuvue moist dailies as I have very dry eyes. I only wear them now when I go out and put on make up (so not often:laughing: :laughing: ):laughing: but they are very good.

I'd really love an orange pair for going out so I can freak people out:p

Louise B
16-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I've got Acuvue Moist too, they're really good, although a bit more expensive. I buy 3 boxes (3 month's supply if you wear them every day) for £105 (they're about £40 a month I think if you don't buy in bulk). I tried the focus dailies but they were far too dry for me, they were uncomfortable after only a few hours. I think it'd be best to see the optician and have a trial of each if that's possible. I went for the focus ones because they were loads cheaper, but it didn't pay because I couldn't bear to have them in for long.

xxx

sarah707
17-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Thank you all for your advice. I will have a chat with him about it.

It's definitely a good idea to try a few brands before making a decision :D

wendywu
17-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I use monthly extendable wear. You keep them in for one month day and night and then put in a new pair. So easy its great.

I buy them online through tesco. Post optics online are quite cheap as well :thumbsup:

Dizzy Ducklings
17-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I get mine and my b/f's from www.visiondirect.com - we get monthly one's ...

6 months supply (6 pairs each) for £45ish! :thumbsup:

AliceK
17-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I used to use the Focus Dailies but they kept splitting in my eyes and it was agony. I had to take a trip to A&E to have all the bits removed on one occasion. Now I use specsavers soft ones. I wear a pair for a month then throw them out. No cleaning needed just a rub around with the saline solution when I take them out which takes a few seconds. I've not yet had any problems with them.

xxxxxx

Donkey
17-11-2010, 11:12 PM
ryan has a vision plan with boots...

think he pays £15 a month via direct debit and then he gets sent boxes through the post.

he changes them every 2 weeks. its not so much the contact lenses but the solution.

that costs a fortune!!