PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Paypal!

Tinglesnark
16-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Apparently the paying site that tells us it is "the safest way to pay online" is not quite so safe after all!
In the past few months i have been a victim of fraud and the fraudsters have managed to clone my card details through Paypal - dont ask me how! They have tried to buy Eurostar tickets (£180) Designer clothes (In excess of £200) :eek: and other things but luckily for me, the HSBC are on the ball as far as fraud goes and they stopped the payments before the money was taken from my account..I dont know how they do that either...

Please be careful when buying online and make sure you keep a close eye on statements!

I have now closed my Paypal down as the customer service lady is shockingly rubbish. Both times i have repoted the frsaud she has told me she cannot help as it was down to my own personal error :idea: quite how it is MY fault that i have used a "trusted" site to pay for goods online in good faith and then been a victim of fraud through that site is beyond me!

Lucklily it was attempted fraud - thank GOODNESS i didnt have the money! It would have been a lot of hard work to recover it!

:panic:

Be careful ladies and gents!

Pauline
16-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Are you sure they have done it through PayPal and not through a virus on your computer? There are some very clever viruses out there that can steal bank details and even find the card numbers you enter on your computer. :(

Always have a really good anti-virus installed. :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
16-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I have also closed my Paypal account as I had a problem with my account - it was only when I received an email from them telling me that the"new address" I had asked to be added to my account had been done successfully that I knew anything about it :eek:

Turns out someone had ordered £300+ from a skate/snow boarding shop and arranged for it to be delivered to my "new address" in London!!! I live in the midlands and don't know anyone in London. Luckily it got sorted and I had a refund, but won't use it now - if sellers wont accept a cheque I don't buy!!!!

Mind I think I am just unlucky cause I have also had the same happen with Play.com and 2 orders both of £99 were placed with them:angry:

gigglinggoblin
16-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I would also advise not accepting money through paypal. People can reverse payments and you will get no reason or help, when it happened to me I was advised to 'treat it as theft because most people expect that'. As if that makes me feel any better!

Adiamond
16-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi, I am the most suspicious person in the world I check things time and time again before I will buy anything online.
I use paypal quite alot as I am sure alot of other people do. I have never had a problem with payments. I much prefer using paypal and feel safer when I see the paypal sign to pay for things online rather than putting my card details in time and time again, I think thats when it can get a bit dodgy.

When you pay for things through paypal you have to put in your user name and password, how do these fraudsters get these?

Like Pauline said you do need a good anti virus running as these clever viruses can steal your details.. x x

teacake2
16-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Someone tried to access my paypal account yesterday:eek: :eek: I have reported it and paypal have suspended my account for the time being, it was only for $10.00 but it is still scarey.
Teacake2

linnij
16-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi, I had an email from Paypal the logo box and everything saying that I needed to verify some details so they could refund some money into my account as I'd been overcharged - not a chance had I been overcharged as I'd bought nothing for anywhere near that amount which made me suspicious as to who was trying to get my details hmmmmm?:confused:

Mookins
16-11-2010, 04:12 PM
we dont have anything to do with paypal now, last year we had our account suspended for 180 days due to "fraudulent use" Thats all we kept getting told, they held onto my money which i had in the account and had the cheek to tell me that i may be charged interest for them holding onto it:angry:

so just before xmas we where short £260 something i was furious, thing is its not just paypal its everywhere, everything.....my bank card was cloned beginning of this year someone is slough was using it to top uo their orange phone and someone in London was trying to buy jewellery!!

thank god im skint i say, although i must admit my bank was hot on the heels after i said about the phone top up and then they were the ones who contacted me about the jewellery!!

i check my bank account statements reguarly and often change my password for my online accountjust in case and only shop online with a card that i transfer the money into that account, put in enough to cover what i want then no one can get to my many millions elsewhere;)
xxx

Pauline
16-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi, I had an email from Paypal the logo box and everything saying that I needed to verify some details so they could refund some money into my account as I'd been overcharged - not a chance had I been overcharged as I'd bought nothing for anywhere near that amount which made me suspicious as to who was trying to get my details hmmmmm?:confused:

PayPal always include your real name in emails, so then you know it is from them. Scammers will try anything to get you to log into a fake account and get your password.

So, no real name = fake email = DELETE!! or report it by forwarding the entire email to spoof@paypal.com :)

christine e
16-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I have also closed my Paypal account as I had a problem with my account - it was only when I received an email from them telling me that the"new address" I had asked to be added to my account had been done successfully that I knew anything about it :eek:

Turns out someone had ordered £300+ from a skate/snow boarding shop and arranged for it to be delivered to my "new address" in London!!! I live in the midlands and don't know anyone in London. Luckily it got sorted and I had a refund, but won't use it now - if sellers wont accept a cheque I don't buy!!!!

Mind I think I am just unlucky cause I have also had the same happen with Play.com and 2 orders both of £99 were placed with them:angry:

I too had problems with Play.com last year. Received two emails confirming orders I had not placed sending to an address in Liverpool (I too live in Midlands). Play.com totally useless, promised to ring back and never did. Credit card company were great, cancelled payment and issued me with a new card.

Trouble
16-11-2010, 06:40 PM
not only is it not fair on the people who have been affected but it beggars believe how people get this information :eek: :eek: :eek:

shelly2012
16-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Never had a problem with Paypal use it all the time.

Tinglesnark
16-11-2010, 08:23 PM
It is great if you haven't had any trouble with it all i am saying is that i HAVE had trouble with it, I do have a good antivirus but alas there are still rather clever hackers out there. Of course not everyone will be affected i believe fraud is done randomly in most cases
I would just be careful and make sure that you check your statements - i have used it ever since it first started but unfortunately have recently had these occurances.
I like the idea of using a pre loaded card - i have an O2 money card that i will use to buy online in future - thanks for the reminder :thumbsup:

Hebs
16-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Never had a problem with Paypal use it all the time.

me too, even my bank told me that Paypal is the safest way to pay for things online when i had to go down about my bank card being cloned at an asda cashpoint

Tinglesnark
16-11-2010, 08:31 PM
me too, even my bank told me that Paypal is the safest way to pay for things online when i had to go down about my bank card being cloned at an asda cashpoint

Well thats good....
Not quite the case for me though which is a shame :thumbsup:

Hebs
16-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Well thats good....
Not quite the case for me though which is a shame :thumbsup:

i think as things stand we have to be extra careful, these are desperate times :(

Tinglesnark
16-11-2010, 08:38 PM
i think as things stand we have to be extra careful, these are desperate times :(

Yes, i agree. I think as long as you are vigilant then you are safe - that was the reason for my post really. Just to give everyone the heads up to be extra vigilant. I think we can all get a little complacent at times and thats when the tricksters get ya! :thumbsup:

Hebs
16-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes, i agree. I think as long as you are vigilant then you are safe - that was the reason for my post really. Just to give everyone the heads up to be extra vigilant. I think we can all get a little complacent at times and thats when the tricksters get ya! :thumbsup:

yeah and it's amazing what they can do :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
16-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Thank you for the warning. We have been cloned twice via a petrol station. :angry:

Both times banks picked it up.:thumbsup:

So many rogue :censored: out there.