Hi

I have one little mindee for the following hours

Mon 1-3pm
Tues 1-3pm
Weds 12-3pm
Thurs 1-3pm
Fri 9-3pm
15 hours in total a week.

How many obs would should I be aiming for a month.
At the moment I am doing (about) 2 photo obs with possible next steps and (about) 6 small obs, just a note of what he is achieving with no next steps, but linking it back to the development grids.

Is this enough?

After Christmas I am going to lose him on a Friday as he will be going to Rising five's all day, so what amount of obs should I be aiming for then?

Thanks.

sarah707
16-11-2010, 07:17 PM
It's up to you!

If you are happy with the amount you are writing and you can show evidence of how the child is progressing then you are doing enough!

If you are finding it a bit of a strain, then slow down a little and look for 3 mini obs a month instead of 6...

It's really important to find a balance which suits you :D

Trouble
16-11-2010, 07:19 PM
i even write them on the back of paintings they all count:D :D :D

curlycathy
16-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I look after siblings A (3) and B (15months) on Mondays and Fridays, both full days but A goes to preschool on Friday morning.

Last month I was writing up my obs and updating the LJs. I had loads for A and only a couple for B.

Last week I updated again - only a couple for A and loads for B!!! Including one afternoon where I'd jotted down 6 obs!!!!

So I think a lot just depends on the child anyway and that it will ebb and flow depending on what you are doing.

I hope....!!!

MaryMary
17-11-2010, 01:42 PM
It sounds to me like you are doing a great job! :D
My tutor for DHC5 (which was abouts obs & planning) said we probably only need to do one a month, plus any 'wow' moments. So, if you are happy and coping with the amount you are doing, carry on. If it's too much, I would say you have leeway to cut it down :)

Andrea08
17-11-2010, 01:47 PM
i even write them on the back of paintings they all count:D :D :D

i have started to do this.. bits that go into file and not home i may add a few obs notes,, all mine are part time now and as soon as we get going its home time or only 2 days a week..

as mentioned we know what we are doing its recording it to prove to others we are providing for child's next steps... dont personaly agree with it ... never had to write up about any of my children for over 15yrs and now im not working well enough if i dont record my findings... like dwho else is going to read it? but thats EYFS so we have no choice so do as much as you feel you need to show your understanding of each child and record next steps etc

your doing gr8 xx

sindy5
26-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Sounds like what you are doing is great. I try to aim for 1 long observation every 6 weeks and then 1 a week. Guidelines state that so long as a child is progressing and this can be shown, observations are not vital. It is the children who are progressing very slowly or not at all where observations are more important to show the experiences and opportunities you are providing these children to help progress. Hope this helps. xx

Angie
18-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I look after 1 child for 15 hours a week. I do one observation each week adn recently I had my inspection and Mrs O was very plesed with that:clapping:

So I assume 2 observation in a week for full time and 1 observation for part time children would be fine