PDA

View Full Version : Grandma, granny, nana, nanny or mommar?

Graham
14-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Following on from the mum, mam or mom thread. What about Grandmother's there seem to be lots of different names.

I never knew my grandparents but our kids called their grandmothers Grandma. Our Grandchildren call Pauline Granny and their other Grandmother Nanny.

Some of our mindees call theirs mommar (sp?). So what is your experience?

RachelE
14-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I had 2 Nannas - both called Nanna xxx (their surname)

I also had a great grandmother whom we called Grandma.

My own children have MIL - she wanted to be called Nan (to sound younger!) and My mum is Nanna. My grandmother is still alive, so the children call her Great Nanna.

Rachel x

jelly15
14-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I had a Grandma and a Granny. My children call my mother Granny now and my MIL was Mamgu (Welsh pronounced Mamgee) but she is no longer with us. In the very distant future I hope to be Nanny.

Twinkles
14-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I had two nana's followed by surname.

my own kids call my mum nana and my mil grandma.

WHEN I ever get grandchildren they will call me nana.

Mouse
14-11-2010, 12:46 PM
My own grandparents on my mum's side were called by their christian names. When their first grandchild was born (my elder sister) my grandmother decided she didn't want to be called granny or anything like that, so both grandparents were called by their actual names.
My grandad on my dad's side was "grandad".

My children have/had granny & grandpa on DH's side and granny & grandad on my side. DH's mum tends to be just granny, whereas my mum is granny xxx (surname).

PixiePetal
14-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I had 2 nannas followed by their surname like Twinkles :thumbsup:

when I had my kids they called my mum 'nanny at the seaside' and MIL 'nanny at the farm' - or both nanny for short! obviously because that is where they lived. If we were visiting and I said we were going to see nanny, they asked at the seaside or farm :laughing: The same with the Grandads too.

My nanna 'T' became Old Grandma to them - she was 90 the year I had DD and lived for another 6 years :thumbsup:

Our nephew called nanny at the farm Nanny E.I as in old Mac Donald :laughing: :laughing:

One day (at least another 10 years from now!) I would like to be Nanny or Nanna - not Grandma, unless I get to be a Great Grandma! Or I could be Nanny at the farm as we are living here now :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
14-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Mine were nan to me

Dd calls my mum nanny and she used to call my nan ..nana :thumbsup: :D

Sadly i don't have any left now rip nans x

nannysue
14-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I have always been "nanny" but as the grandchildren are have got older it seems to be "nan" now :) i don't mind whatever they call me its such a joy to hear them say it !!!! i just wish i could hear it from our 2 estranged grandchildren .

mamasheshe
14-11-2010, 01:29 PM
i called mine granny donny and gran my girls call theirs granny jenny and granny Stevie easy xx

Hebs
14-11-2010, 01:44 PM
i never had a grandmother as they had both died before i was born

but my kids call my mum Nana, and when their fathers mother grandma

i used to call my granda .......... fat granda (cos he was) :blush:

crazyXstitcher
14-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Our have a Nana and a Granny, makes it easier to know which one they are talking about.
We have 2 grandads though which usually end up being "Nana's grandad" or "Granny's grandad" when we get confused who they kids are talking about.

beccas
14-11-2010, 01:58 PM
well my mum is mammar to my kids
my gran (mums mum) is nannan to my kids

his mum is begie to our kids

so no fuss easy done lol

charleyfarley
14-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Mitchell and Charley call there Nans, Nanny in Stoke and Nanny in Birmingham :thumbsup:

I'm nanny although little Harrison can't talk yet :D

Carol xx

ajs
14-11-2010, 04:47 PM
both the mothers have and still are grandma
and i will be grandma too can't bear anything else

loocyloo
14-11-2010, 04:52 PM
when my step neice was born ( 24yrs ago! ), my mum decided she was too young to be a grandmother, so called herself grandy ( her name is andy ).

all my nannied children, mindees as well as DD & DS have called her grandy!

my MIL is called gran.

i had a nanna and a granny ( who became great granny to my DS before she died )

Tinglesnark
14-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I had a grandma
Frances (step granny)
and i am lucky enough to still have a granny.

my boys call my mum "Ma" and my dad "Pa" which we always giggle about at bedtime as it sounds like we're the Waltons :laughing:

'G'night Ma, G'night Pa.....G'night John boy!'

:laughing:

My dad's ame is John so i have always said that to them at bedtime
:laughing:

used to adore the Waltons as a nipper hahah!

littlemiracles
14-11-2010, 05:03 PM
When i was younger I called my grandparents nanny followed by their surname. Now i have children of my own they call my mum Nana and my mil Grandy (she decided she wanted to be called that after reading a woman of substance) :D

Pipsqueak
14-11-2010, 05:07 PM
My kids call my in-law Grandma and my mum Nan/ny/nanna

cher25
14-11-2010, 05:19 PM
My mam's, mam was nanna and my dad's mam is Gran. No confusion that way. My mam will get called nanna when i eventually have kids.

Alibali
14-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I had a Gran and a Nana (Nana was in London and I think it is more common down south)

My own children have a Gran and a Granny.

Annie_T
14-11-2010, 06:02 PM
i used to say (but they passed away years go)
grandma (my mums nan)
nan (my mums mum)

my kids
nanny,nanna, nan (my mum)
grandma (their dads nan)

we dont have many old relatives to be calling grandma etc x

louise
14-11-2010, 06:18 PM
My Nan is erm Nan. I don't see my other one.
Mys ds calls both Nans Nanny followed by my brother or bil name. Ds made this up when trying to work out which one we were goign to see and it has stuck but when he sees them he says just Nanny. MIL did complain one time she heard him say it as she is Nanny, well ds has 2 and its his way of saying it.
Ds call my Nan, Nanny Brenda. Dh Granny is just Granny. The great bit has never stuck with him.

Adiamond
14-11-2010, 07:23 PM
My mum is - nanny, my step dad is - grandad

My nan is nan to all her grandkids and great grandkids my grandad is Gran to all.

my mother in law is - grandma x x x

babs
14-11-2010, 07:57 PM
only had one nan when i was growing up mums mum died when she was 2... we called dads mum nan.. my son calls my mum nan and hubby's mum nan ... hubby had a nan and a gran....

RainbowMum
14-11-2010, 08:50 PM
My Nan is Granny to my children, My mum is Nanna, they have 2 granma's on hubby's side (step mum)

One Mindee called his granma GaGa :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
14-11-2010, 08:52 PM
My Nans were both Nan followed by their surname.

My sons call hubby's mum Gran as she already had grandchildren who called her that and my mum is Nan (Nanna when they were little)

nell57
14-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Both mine were Nana followed by surnames too. With DS, Niece and Nephew it's Nana followed by thier christian names:thumbsup:

Twinkles
14-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I had a Gran and a Nana (Nana was in London and I think it is more common down south)

My own children have a Gran and a Granny.

Who are you calling common?? :eek:

Actually you may have a point :laughing: :laughing:

Lick'le Oakes
14-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Mamma and Daddad xxxx

RachelE
14-11-2010, 09:38 PM
- One of my mindees has 2 Grandmothers.

She calls them Grandma on the farm (local) and Grandma in Devon.

Its funny as we get the whole title!
Grandma in Devon comes up quite often and collects and mindee will say - Grandma in Devon is here! (although obviously she's not in Devon!!)

Rachel x