PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried controlled crying with their kids?

devoncm
13-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Ive decided im doing this with Grace as she wakes several times a night as dummy falls out, also taken dummy away totally as this is half the prob. We have done it now for 3 nights and hasnt been too bad through the night as she only waking once, 1st night she took 40 mins to settle and 10 when she woke, 2nd night round 5 mins to settle and 20 mins in the night, 3rd night was about half an hour and again half an hr when she woke, im starting to think its not working, daytime naps are awful trying to get her to settle.

Has anyone else tried this method and has it worked for you? if not what method did you use? im going to keep at it for a while longer yet as i know it can take up to 2 weeks, just feel were going backwards with it, tho the waking once is a gd thing

Tinglesnark
13-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I tried it with ds1 and couldnt bear it. wouldnt dream of using it again because although it did work, it was too distressing and i regret implementing it. I havent used it with ds2 :thumbsup: good luck with it all but be prepared for stress lol

sarah707
13-11-2010, 06:06 PM
A friend of mine used it very successfully with 2 of her children.

She said with the first child it took a few nights... with the second (who is naturally more stubborn even now) it took a couple of weeks.

They both slept through well from then onwards and she would recommend it to anyone.

she followed the method in the Christopher Greene book 'Toddlers!'

I was lucky with my 2, they are like their mother and need their sleep! :laughing:

Good luck xx

The Juggler
13-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I used it with ds (never needed to with dd). However, it was to get him off at night a bit earlier rather than waking in the night.

one of my mindees parents recently did and their lives were transformed. She now settles herself, doesn't wake in the night and settles and sleeps in the day. Prior to that they had to lie with her at night to get her off and she then often woke if they got up. She napped for max 20 mins a day and even that nap was wakeful.

loocyloo
13-11-2010, 07:02 PM
i used it with a nanny charge !!!

(and to a much lesser extent with my own children)

it does work, i find that it takes a while the first night or 2, then gets better, then they throw a dreadful night in, and then it should stat getting better again! ( i think they are just checking to see how tough you are being! ) i read somewhere that you can have up to 3 peaks ( shall we say, dreadful nights! ) before everything settles down.

good luck! xxx

Saranotts
13-11-2010, 07:25 PM
We used it on our ds and it worked a treat, all sorted within a week.

Sara
xxx

Annie_T
13-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Ive decided im doing this with Grace as she wakes several times a night as dummy falls out, also taken dummy away totally as this is half the prob. We have done it now for 3 nights and hasnt been too bad through the night as she only waking once, 1st night she took 40 mins to settle and 10 when she woke, 2nd night round 5 mins to settle and 20 mins in the night, 3rd night was about half an hour and again half an hr when she woke, im starting to think its not working, daytime naps are awful trying to get her to settle.

Has anyone else tried this method and has it worked for you? if not what method did you use? im going to keep at it for a while longer yet as i know it can take up to 2 weeks, just feel were going backwards with it, tho the waking once is a gd thing

nope
both mine slept right thru night from day 1 (if they did wake their dad sorted them and never took long to go off again)
neither had dummys as they didnt accept them!

it may take a while hun, so bear with it for little longer x

mushpea
13-11-2010, 07:57 PM
i used it withmy daughter when we took away her dummy,, she used to stand in her cot at 8months old and throw her dummy so we would have to go and give it back, so we took it away,, nights 1 and 2 were awful and she took about 20mins ther first night and 15 then 2nd by the third she was settled within 10mins then it went backwards on the 4th and back to square 1 she took a good week to completley settle at nights but it was definatly worth it in the end.
I have to say though it wasnt easy and broke my heart hearing her cry but it was for her own good as she got a good nights sleep and so did i so that meant i was a nicer mummy the next day!

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
13-11-2010, 07:57 PM
did it with my ds, would go into him and settle him down after 5 mins then 10 mins then 15 mins etc, never had to go past this.

now he is a fantastic sleeper settles himself and hardly ever gets upset when we put him to bed.

he was 14 months when i did it with him as thats when i gave up breastfeeding and he went into his own room (we were in a 1 bed flat before this) so it was alot of change for him at once but delt with it really well

happytotschildminding
13-11-2010, 08:49 PM
We tried with our eldest (now 15!) who was terrible sleeper, ending up in our bed every night. We tried through our fortnight's annual leave one christmas to do controlled crying and she'd often last till after 2am:eek: . We were just getting somewhere by the end of the two weeks (maybe it was through exhaustion!) but she caught a cold and we were back to square one - it was an awful time for us (and exhausting as we both worked full time) - she didn't sleep through the night until well into her school years. I have to say though, we went on to have three more children and not one of them has been allowed in our bed and have all slept well! (thank goodness!:laughing:
Good luck
Carol
x

Nikki76
13-11-2010, 11:45 PM
It does work if you are persistant and consistant. Anything else will just confuse the child.
As long as you go in at regular intervals to comfort and calm them (leaving it a little longer each time) It will work.

Children are very fast learners. Try having a very busy day so she is really tired at bedtime. This may make the first settling of the evening easier.

You just have to remember that children need their sleep to grow up healthy and sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. You are doing this for their benefit.
Neither they nor you can operate on anything less than a full nights sleep.

I did it with both of my children and they are wonderful sleepers, and very happy children.

Good luck and dont doubt yourself..x
:thumbsup:

smartie
14-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Used this with my own. Would recommend a book called

Solve your childs sleep problems by Dr Richard Ferber

It made a lot of sense and also reasured me that the technique was used appropriately.

Hope you have a good nights sleep soon.