PDA

View Full Version : Baby coming for just one day.

ma7ie
11-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I am looking after a 9 month old baby on Monday just for the day as her regular childminder is on holiday.

I understand that I have to fill out a contract, record form and permission slips, but do I have to give her a copy of my policies? It's a huge file and I can't see the point for one day.

What do you think?

I haven't met the mum or baby either because it's a last minute thing so she will be doing all this when she comes on Monday so won't have time to read my policies anyway.

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't bother with the policies, just tell her they are available to view if she wishes too!

sarah707
11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Do you have a precis of policies? Just a few lines stating the most important bits of each? It's a great way of saving ink and showing you mean business at the same time...

Otherwise, I would give her your welcome booklet... for one day, it seems daft to waste a tree :D

ma7ie
11-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I will give her the option of reading my policies and leave it at that. I'm sure that as soon as she sees the "Book" she'll not bother;)

angeldelight
12-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I would let her read them

Then get her to sign to say she has read and undertands them

Good luck Marie

Angel xx

Schnakes
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM
TBH, I wouldnt even bother with a contract. What on earth can you say???
Its a waste of time and materials, IMO.

Sx

miffy
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM

Sx

Errrrr you agree the hours, the rate of pay, when you want paying etc etc

I understand your point but it's best to avoid any confusion later and it puts everything on a professional/business footing

miffy xx

Spangles
12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
I would defo get her to complete a temporary contract or whatever they're called, they're only one page long and it takes a matter of minutes to go through.

Better to be safe than sorry I say!

angeldelight
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Even for a day things can go wrong so yes it is def worth having a temp contract so you both understand and you are covered for your own peace of mind

Angel xx

Schnakes
13-04-2008, 09:53 AM

Well obviously!!! I just wouldnt be bothered doing the paperwork. Not for one day...then you have to store it, do registers, etc...not worth the bother, imo.

miffy
13-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Well obviously!!! I just wouldnt be bothered doing the paperwork. Not for one day...then you have to store it, do registers, etc...not worth the bother, imo.

Whether you complete a contract or not is your choice - you do have to record the time the child is on the premises so yes you would need to do a register

miffy xx

Spangles
13-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I had a little lad for one afternoon and I asked his mum to read through my policies and procedures and to sign the usual form to say she had - she was happy to do this.

I also went through the temp contract with her and she signed it - this took about five mins!

I didn't give her a welcome book or anything like that although I did give her my business card so she could contact me easily if she wanted to during the day.

I asked her to complete all the information that I needed though the same as normal and sign the permission forms. It didn't take long.

I then did a daily diary sheet for him as normal as I felt it was just as important for her to have the information for one afternoon as for someone who comes more often.

I also typed a quick A4 sheet that just said his name, DOB then
underneath it had a space for his arrival time and then for his departure time and for his mum to name, sign and date. That was it.

I explained to her beforehand that she would need to do all of this and she was fine, plus, it has led to a few more days here and there so a lot of the information I have on file.

It's totally up to you what you do though.

manjay
13-04-2008, 12:40 PM
It's totally up to you what you do though.

Is it though? What happens if OFSTED turn up unannounced. Would they be happy you were looking after a child with no contract or permission forms completed. Does your insurance cover you if anything goes wrong.

Not sure of the answers to these as I am not registered with OFSTED but I don't think my inspector would be too impressed

Better to be safe than sorry imho

amanda xx

ma7ie
13-04-2008, 06:36 PM
I have every intention of filling in a contract, record form and permission slips.

I have a temporary contract which is only a page long and doesn't have much to fill in.

I was under the impression that by law we have to have all the above anyway.

My only query was whether to give a copy of policies and procedures. Anyway I've decided to give her the option of reading them but either way she will have to sign to say she has. :)

Spangles
13-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Hooray! All sorted!

It is a pain when you have a really small job like that and there's so much you have to print and keep for it but there you go!

Some of these small jobs can sometimes lead to more or a recommendation to someone so you never know!

Hope you have a lovely day!

miffy
13-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow

miffy xx

ma7ie
13-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Thank you. Really looking forward to it. Will be nice to have a baby in the house. He's 9 months old but only the size of a 6 month baby because he was prem I think.

Will be fun trying to get 3 children under 2 and a half to playgroup though.:eek:

manjay
13-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I have every intention of filling in a contract, record form and permission slips.

I have a temporary contract which is only a page long and doesn't have much to fill in.

My only query was whether to give a copy of policies and procedures. Anyway I've decided to give her the option of reading them but either way she will have to sign to say she has. :)

Sorry! Should have made it clear I was replying to someone else about no contracts.

Hope you have a good day

ma7ie
14-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Baby came this morning at 8.55 am and we went to playgroup. All went smoothly and baby is a dream. Didn't cry or whinge and is a real smiler.

12.30 "T's" mum collects him and is a bit of a fusser anyway. Baby was shattered and I'd put him in his pram for a nap.

Now in my opinion any normal person would have picked their child up and left quietly - not my parent. She decided that she would get "T" excited and acting daft. He started screaming, my Poppy started screaming and baby who had actually fallen asleep then started screaming.

Why don't some people have more sense?:angry:

sarah707
14-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Poor you! And poor baby

Some parents don't seem to have been born with sense! :(

Rubybubbles
16-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Baby came this morning at 8.55 am and we went to playgroup. All went smoothly and baby is a dream. Didn't cry or whinge and is a real smiler.

12.30 "T's" mum collects him and is a bit of a fusser anyway. Baby was shattered and I'd put him in his pram for a nap.

Now in my opinion any normal person would have picked their child up and left quietly - not my parent. She decided that she would get "T" excited and acting daft. He started screaming, my Poppy started screaming and baby who had actually fallen asleep then started screaming.

Why don't some people have more sense?:angry:

glad it went well in the end for you and :angry: to the other mum!!

Oh and for the record, you did the right thing in doing everything but not give P&P!!:D

ma7ie
16-04-2008, 12:35 PM
glad it went well in the end for you and :angry: to the other mum!!

Oh and for the record, you did the right thing in doing everything but not give P&P!!:D

Thank you.

angeldelight
16-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Well done Marie

Glad it went ok also

Angel xx

Schnakes
16-04-2008, 06:14 PM
What I do for things like that is similar to Spangles. I email them my P&P and get them to sign a form to say they have read, understood and agreed blah blah. I also get a contact sheet filled in and a permission form. I just wouldnt bother with a contract. Payment up front and thats it, as far as Im concerned. Cant see what issue Ofsted could have with that - as far as I know contracts are only recommended - not actually a statutory requirement. But then Im a lazy wee ****** when I want to be! :) Glad it went well (up to pick up anyway!!).

Sx

littletreasures
16-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Glad it went well

littletreasures

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Sx

sorry don't agree You need to have a contract of some kind. I just don't use my full one bit have a simple on. you need to state who is paying sometimes in cover the childminder pays you and not the parent. It sets things out

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 06:19 PM

You are right it is in one of the Standards (SarahNev help me out on this one please is it Standard one)

Jinx
17-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I did some very temp, last min minding for a friend earlier this year and rang Ofsted to check what I do about contracts.They told me they have nothing to do with contracts, thats between us and the parent. They only insist that permission forms are signed etc.
Mind you, just cos some pleb at Ofsted said it, doesn't mean its right does it!!!!:censored: We all know what they're like for giving duff information.:rolleyes:

Glad it went well with the baby. I love the little ones.:littleangel:
Jinx. x