PDA

View Full Version : Handmade cards

pinklady
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I stopped making my cards to sell when I started childminding but I'm getting back into it and will have a table at ds1's School Christmas shopping event.

I'm really not sure how much to sell them for. I used to sell them for around £3.50 each which is pretty cheap when when you consider how much work goes into them. People really don't want to pay that any more though when there are shops like the card factory selling really cheap cards.

What I'd like to know is how much you would pay for a handcrafted card?

littlestar
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
hi i would pay £2.00 a card if i really liked it as you say there are these shops that do them too and i think it means more to the person buying the card than receiving they just bin it after the day unfortunetly :panic:

pinklady
10-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks Littlestar :)

This is my card blog so that you can judge for yourselves what you would pay.

http://diecuttingdiva.blogspot.com/

caz3007
10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I sell mine for £1.50 but definately undersell myself. But and a big but I mainly scrapbook so it allows for me to do some of the main thing must of us papercrafters do........stash shopping :laughing:

Mcgons
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I would pay around £2.50 - £3.00 for a handmade card.

When do you fit in crafting? I haven't done any in a year but really want to get back into it (I like scrapbooking) :)

caz3007
10-11-2010, 05:25 PM
McGons - I struggle to find the time, but its my downtime and I enjoy it, so am trying to factor some crafting in to my week.

pinklady
11-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I would pay around £2.50 - £3.00 for a handmade card.

When do you fit in crafting? I haven't done any in a year but really want to get back into it (I like scrapbooking) :)

I felt I needed to go back to it because it just takes my mind off everything. I craft in the evenings mainly.

sue m
11-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Can I ask if there is a magazine or something for beginners - card making that is? I've watched a few you tube vids but would like a magazine to keep referring to. I'd love to do card making and scrapbooking and I do keep having a go but I'm pretty hopeless. :blush: :o I've bought loads of stuff but I'm such a beginner, I don't know what I'm doing. Sometimes I think I won't bother cos I obviously haven't got the knack. :(

LOOPYLISA
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Can I ask if there is a magazine or something for beginners - card making that is? I've watched a few you tube vids but would like a magazine to keep referring to. I'd love to do card making and scrapbooking and I do keep having a go but I'm pretty hopeless. :blush: :o I've bought loads of stuff but I'm such a beginner, I don't know what I'm doing. Sometimes I think I won't bother cos I obviously haven't got the knack. :(

You would prob find one in smiths or hobbycraft :thumbsup:
Its something im looking into too :D

I would pay £3.00 for a handmade card x

Dizzy Ducklings
11-11-2010, 11:28 AM

I've got a subscription with PaperCraft Inspirations - which has done me quite well... always get not bad freebies for your stash.

Although I have bought others in the past which were good to but just had to decide on one so I wasn't buying them all! lol

Dizzy Ducklings
11-11-2010, 11:29 AM

LOVE the 'His&Hers' Anniversary card!!

sue m
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I've got a subscription with PaperCraft Inspirations - which has done me quite well... always get not bad freebies for your stash.

Although I have bought others in the past which were good to but just had to decide on one so I wasn't buying them all! lol

Thanks Hollie-Beth, I'll go and have a google! x

sue m
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
You would prob find one in smiths or hobbycraft :thumbsup:
Its something im looking into too :D

I would pay £3.00 for a handmade card x

Bet you're better at it than me Lisa, I'm hopeless at any crafts! :o xxx

sue m
11-11-2010, 11:36 AM

They are gorgeous, I'd pay £3 for a card for family or friends.

LOOPYLISA
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Bet you're better at it than me Lisa, I'm hopeless at any crafts! :o xxx

Dunno about that Sue :D x

pinklady
11-11-2010, 12:49 PM

It really depends what sort of cards you want to make. I've been making cards for about 14 years and started off rubber stamping but now I'm more into die cutting. Crafts beautiful and papercraft inspirations are both good. See if any of your craft shops hold classes or if you have a friend that crafts ask her if she'll hold a craft party. Watch Dawn Bibby on QVC or create and craft tv for ideas.

Most of all have fun!

Thanks for the lovely feedback :blush:

PixiePetal
11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I felt I needed to go back to it because it just takes my mind off everything. I craft in the evenings mainly.

I really NEED to get back into my craft room - so relaxing, LJs and accounts seems miles away when I have lovely papers in my hands :blush:

got a few I must get done before Christmas - few new babies and a 21st :thumbsup:

Mcgons
11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I really NEED to get back into my craft room - so relaxing, LJs and accounts seems miles away when I have lovely papers in my hands :blush:

got a few I must get done before Christmas - few new babies and a 21st :thumbsup:

Craft room? I'd love to have one of those! I used to buy Creating Keepsakes Magazine for scrapbooking and they used to put pics in of people's craft rooms, some of them were huge. Maybe one day when my kids have left home I can convert a room!

pinklady
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I had to give up my craft room when I started childminding :crying: It was only an cupboard in my hallway but it was big enough for a desk and storage. It's now a toy cupboard :(

PixiePetal
11-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I recently bought storage towers from storage4crafts :thumbsup: added 6 drawers last week - so expensive but they had an offer on :)

Used to have loft room then moved house - now have the spare room or rather people sleep in my craft room :laughing:

Bit messy but I love it!

pinklady
13-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I love it PixiePetal....If I had the space I'd definitely get some of those.

My dream is to give up childminding and teach people to make cards. Well, we can all have dreams can't we?! :rolleyes:

caz3007
13-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I am also lucky enough to have our box room as a craft room. But at the moment its got xmas pressies and lots of other stuff in. Love your storage Pixiepetal (I am sure I may know you from a cardmaking forum several years ago)

sue m
13-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, it makes my little box look a bit pathetic! :o What a lot of stuff PP!!!

Do you all buy things from the same site or do you use different ones? There are soooo many!

PixiePetal
13-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Pinklady - would love to do it full time but you just can't earn the money CM does :rolleyes: The tower drawers hold so much and so neatly :thumbsup:

caz3307 - not been on any forums, got enough with this one and FB!

sue m - I started with the cardboard storage drawers on the table about 8 years ago and it grew from there - watch out! still, I think it's a healthy hobby (if a little expensive :blush: ) and I am never short of crafty bits for the kids to use or a card to send :laughing:
I buy stuff from everywhere - love The Range, my local shop is The Glitterpot (also online) QVC, stationery shops and basics from Craft Creations online (card and cellophane bags etc)

sue m
13-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I keep whingeing on about this but I don't think I've got 'the knack'. I really really want to do it but I have no ideas of my own and have no idea what to do anyway. Pink Lady is very helpful :thumbsup: and has given me some info. I sent my first card yesterday to nannysue, she's my mate though and was of course very polite about it! :o I bought a mag this morning which I haven't had time to read yet, it's called Quick Cards.

I love to look at other people's work and try to get some ideas from them.

I've ordered some stuff from Craft Creations. And Mad About Cards. I'm buying all this lovely stuff and don't know what to do with it!

PixiePetal
13-11-2010, 02:24 PM
I keep whingeing on about this but I don't think I've got 'the knack'. I really really want to do it but I have no ideas of my own and have no idea what to do anyway. Pink Lady is very helpful :thumbsup: and has given me some info. I sent my first card yesterday to nannysue, she's my mate though and was of course very polite about it! :o I bought a mag this morning which I haven't had time to read yet, it's called Quick Cards.

I love to look at other people's work and try to get some ideas from them.

I've ordered some stuff from Craft Creations. And Mad About Cards. I'm buying all this lovely stuff and don't know what to do with it!

I started off with very simple cards - looking back, they were probably a bit boring! I made them to sell at school christmas fair and donated half the money - now I do a cards and cake sale when I can for my local hospice where MIL died 4 years ago - have donated over £500 so far (not kept any money from sales - that's my donation). The next one I do in the spring/summer will be for alzheimers :thumbsup:

Quick cards is a good one to start off with - with the freebies on the front they usually give you ideas of what to do with them. Watch craft on QVC and Create and Craft (ideal world) shopping channels. I don't buy much from there now as it is often in bulk but you may get ideas to use what you have. You learn as you go along. Have fun!

sue m
13-11-2010, 02:32 PM
But you must have had this 'knack' for it lol. I seriously don't think I have it. :panic:

I've got loads of free paper stack with the mag. whatever will I do with it?!

Great to hear you're donating to the Alzheimer's Society! :clapping: :thumbsup:

xx

PixiePetal
13-11-2010, 02:45 PM
But you must have had this 'knack' for it lol. I seriously don't think I have it. :panic:

I've got loads of free paper stack with the mag. whatever will I do with it?!

Great to hear you're donating to the Alzheimer's Society! :clapping: :thumbsup:

xx

I suppose we are a crafty family all round - I do my cards and scrapbooking, DH builds 'scratch models' (don't ask - he sells to members/friends on a farm toys forum :rolleyes: ) DD is at college doing photography and Imedia (designing adverts etc on mac) and got A in GCSE art and A* in GCSE photography DS is thinking of doing photography next year when he goes into yr 10. My mum used to do watercolour painting (before dad got ill and her Alzheimers :( )

I have always liked crafts - I am more 'crafty' than 'arty' I think! Love Decoupatch too - decorating old things with special decoupatch papers and glue :o

sue m
13-11-2010, 02:49 PM
No hope for me then! No-one is arty or crafty in our family! :D

pinklady
13-11-2010, 03:24 PM

Don't put yourself down Sue!

Will get back to you I promise...busy trying to get my stock ready for the christmas shopping event at the mo! My friend that I'm sharing a table with is amazingly talented and has made so many gorgeous things. Don't want my things to look naff next to hers!

sue m
13-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Don't put yourself down Sue!

Will get back to you I promise...busy trying to get my stock ready for the christmas shopping event at the mo! My friend that I'm sharing a table with is amazingly talented and has made so many gorgeous things. Don't want my things to look naff next to hers!

Oooh, she's telling me off! :blush:

Don't worry, there's no rush, I'm here for a while yet I hope. :laughing:

And don't put yourself down either!!! x

PixiePetal
13-11-2010, 03:39 PM

I agree with pinklady - the fact that you want to have a go is enough, enjoy it :thumbsup: Handmade with love is so much nicer than a bought card :D

pinklady
13-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Oooh, she's telling me off! :blush:

Don't worry, there's no rush, I'm here for a while yet I hope. :laughing:

And don't put yourself down either!!! x

I'm not telling you off...well maybe a little bit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
My friend is a dressmaker and her bespoke handbags sell for around £150 she's mega talented.She's made gorgeous little girls bags from Laura Ashley fabric, scented hanger bags, bunting and goodness knows what else since I saw her last, lol. So I am upping my game big time!

Will take pics of some of the things I've made and put them on my blog.

sue m
13-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not telling you off...well maybe a little bit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
My friend is a dressmaker and her bespoke handbags sell for around £150 she's mega talented.She's made gorgeous little girls bags from Laura Ashley fabric, scented hanger bags, bunting and goodness knows what else since I saw her last, lol. So I am upping my game big time!

Will take pics of some of the things I've made and put them on my blog.

I would LURVE to be talented. In any way! :blush:

I can't show you any cards cos one I made I sent to 'nannysue' and the other is a Christmas card that I've stuck 3 things on! Not exactly great.
I will look on your blog - again.