PDA

View Full Version : How to make reindeer food?

mummyjo
08-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I want to make a bag of reindeer food for each child to sprinkle on their garden on christmas eve and I have found a poem to go with it, the only problem is I have heard that you are not supposed to put glitter in it as the birds may eat it?

Is this correct? What can I use instead to make it sparkle? What exactly do you put in your reindeer food?

rickysmiths
08-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I want to make a bag of reindeer food for each child to sprinkle on their garden on christmas eve and I have found a poem to go with it, the only problem is I have heard that you are not supposed to put glitter in it as the birds may eat it?

Is this correct? What can I use instead to make it sparkle? What exactly do you put in your reindeer food?

You can buy edible glitter which is used on cakes etc. I think Waitrose/Tesco sell some now but if not google it and you will find laods of online sites that sell it.

PixiePetal
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I used 100s and 1000s. very pretty if not sparkly, kids didn't seem to mind. I had some out of date in the cupboard :blush:

mummyjo
08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you. They are great ideas.

So what else do you put in the mixture?

PixiePetal
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Thank you. They are great ideas.

So what else do you put in the mixture?

mixed wild bird food - small bits of squashed corn etc - from supermarket, pet shop or probably cheapest in Wilkinsons if you have one nearby:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I use oats.

Trouble
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
add some glitter to make it sparkly:clapping:

Curly Quavers
08-11-2010, 08:22 PM
I make Reindeer Dust.

Oats
Glitter
Salt

Oats for the birds
Glitter to make it magic
Salt to grit the path

miffy
08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
This is a recipe someone gave me

half a cup of oats
half a cup of granulated sugar
quarter cup of red or green sugar crystals (used in cake decorating)

Mix together

This is the poem that goes with it

On Christmas Eve Santa's reindeers travel miles before the dawn

So be sure to take this magic food and sprinkle on the lawn,

The smell of oats and the glitter path will guide them on their way,

And you'll wake up to Santa's gifts next morn, on Christmas Day.

Miffy xx

charlie potato
09-11-2010, 09:44 AM
This is a recipe someone gave me

half a cup of oats
half a cup of granulated sugar
quarter cup of red or green sugar crystals (used in cake decorating)

Mix together

This is the poem that goes with it

On Christmas Eve Santa's reindeers travel miles before the dawn

So be sure to take this magic food and sprinkle on the lawn,

The smell of oats and the glitter path will guide them on their way,

And you'll wake up to Santa's gifts next morn, on Christmas Day.

Miffy xx

Thanks miffy xx :thumbsup:

angeldelight
09-11-2010, 09:58 AM
This has been in the forum a few times

Think it was Manjay who put it here last year

Angel xx

amanda1309
15-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for this.

Just busy getting my christmas activities finalised as as always you lot make it easier.

Thanks again.

newandlearning
25-11-2010, 02:48 PM
thanks a lot for the poem and print out that is fab xx:jump for joy:

Tazmin68
08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
i am just making up the risk assess for this activity. I have listed eating the food, choking on the food, spilt on table or floor but i cannot think of anything else. Have I missed anything

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't RA all my activities! Not enough hours in the day or trees in the woods :panic:

When i was inspected in Sept I got outstanding for my RAs with a 'rarely seen such comprehensive ones'. I hadn't RA one single Craft Activity!

PixiePetal
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't RA all my activities! Not enough hours in the day or trees in the woods :panic:

When i was inspected in Sept I got outstanding for my RAs with a 'rarely seen such comprehensive ones'. I hadn't RA one single Craft Activity!

nor do I - most RA are done automatically in my head, life is one big RA!

LittleMissSparkles
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
This has been in the forum a few times

Think it was Manjay who put it here last year

Angel xx

Thanks Manjay I had this somewhere but couldnt find it xxxx

Tazmin68
10-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I was inspected Tuesday of last week and I was asked fully risk assess every activity and also get a copy of the RA that every childminding group or S&P group that I attend that the venue will have done on the morning that we attend.:panic:

Ripeberry
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I prefer glittery carrots :D ;)

tashaleee
10-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I prefer glittery carrots :D ;)

OK... Im gonna ask... how do you do glittery carrots? :blush:

Ripeberry
10-11-2011, 08:19 PM
You fell for it! I was going to say roll a carrot in glue and glitter, not very nice for the reindeer though :laughing:

Reindeer food is fun to make, but they tried to sell some at the school last year and wanted £1 for it! And anyway I've got some carrots to use up ;)

tashaleee
10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
You fell for it! I was going to say roll a carrot in glue and glitter, not very nice for the reindeer though :laughing:

Reindeer food is fun to make, but they tried to sell some at the school last year and wanted £1 for it! And anyway I've got some carrots to use up ;)

Now I bet I only did what everyone else was thinking by asking :laughing:

Am already set up to do the reindeer food - kiddies loved it last year (and parents were happy with the idea too) :thumbsup:

maisiemog
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Never thought about doing this before! What a brilliant idea! All my mindees who still believe will love this! Guess what we're going to be doing this year!!!!

Thanks!!!

stardust
11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Now I bet I only did what everyone else was thinking by asking :laughing:

Am already set up to do the reindeer food - kiddies loved it last year (and parents were happy with the idea too) :thumbsup:

Dont worrie i was like what? how on earth.............. lol im glad you asked cuz it would have been me x

Maza
11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Love the idea of reindeer food, but knowing my luck it would encourage rats/mice instead of birds! You've got me thinking about glittery carrots though! Can you get edible glitter glue? (I can see hubby's eyes rolling already!)

JulieA
11-11-2011, 09:14 PM
The children make the reindeer food here every year - jumbo porridge oats, hi energy bird food and some coloured sugar crystals for sparkle. Please don't use glitter as it isn't good for the birds. We mix it all together in a big bowl and make Christmas wishes. Then the children spoon some into a bag to take home. Parents and children love it.

Now - glittery carrots! Could you make like a sugar solution like you would use to make crystalized flowers? Or you can buy a spray lustre by Silver Spoon.

Dragonfly
11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I use bird food with crushed up sparkley sugar , comes in large pieces brown and sparkley meant for coffee and you get it from waitrose:thumbsup: (not a clue what its called:blush:

Toothfairy
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks, will have a go at that this year. :thumbsup:

Cherry-Anne
16-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Hello mummyjo,
Yes you’re quite right about the dangers of putting glitter (including edible glitter) in reindeer food!
Unfortunately glitter can cause long-term damage to small animals’ digestive systems. If it’s left on a plate indoors (out of reach of pets!) it can be used. How about wild bird seed with a few bright red pomegranate seeds as a festive treat for reindeer 🦌😉/ birds 🐦 instead? 🎄😃

bunyip
18-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Surely there’s an evolutionary argument for using glitter if it removes the stupid creatures from their respective species' gene pool before they breed?

Any chance it might work on education ministers? :rolleyes:

FloraDora
18-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Whatever happened to a carrot?
It can be put back easily into the veg rack once Santa has visited.
Easy peasy preparation, good role model for eating vegetables, do not need to buy in specially, doesn’t make a mess......

mama2three
18-12-2017, 05:27 PM
My mindees ;);)take home a carrot for the reindeer , I usually get some with the greenery still attached