PDA

View Full Version : 2 car families

devoncm
07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi, just wondering who has 2 cars in household? does it make a big difference with money being spent on 2? and whats a cheap car 2 run?

Just need to see weather we can afford a 2nd car now ive passed my test, thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
07-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I think you need to look at what group insurance is for the car that you are looking at

Try small cars such as Micra, Corsa, Peugeor 206 etc...

TheBTeam
07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes we have two cars, we have 2 seven seaters, not by choice initially but by progression of our galaxy getting a bit older and being worth more to us than to sell, so when our other Mondeo got tatty we got a Grand Voyager and kept the Galaxy.

We are both childminders though and so sometimes it is needed all the seats!

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
we have 2 cars mine is a 7 seater s-max hubby has a ford focus. He works shifts and i have to be in lots of places in a very short time so we couldnt cope with 1.

Alibali
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
We have 2 cars, necessity, but it does cost an awful lot of money - petrol, insurance, road tax, tyres, repairs etc. Wish we could get by with one.

amanda1309
07-11-2010, 06:32 PM
we have 2 cars.
Always have and probably always wil.
Hubby works shifts and is on call so he needs to be able to go whenever he gets a call.
It is expensive but we have always had 2 so its covered in our budget.

babs
07-11-2010, 07:32 PM
we have 4 vehicles in our household ... i have my car, hubby has his car and a van cus he runs a disco at weekends and son has a car....i rarely use my car theses days but wouldn't get rid as its my independence....

Lou
07-11-2010, 07:50 PM
We have 2 cars, we have no choice, we have to as we both work full time out of the home.

We have a renault scenic which is our "family car" and then we have a little fiesta as it is loads cheaper to run, and whoever leaves for work first take the first car on the drive!
It is really expensive running 2 cars, but like i say we have no choice.

Look out for cars that are low on road tax, economical to run etc.

paula walsh
07-11-2010, 08:02 PM
hi marie we have two cars a vw tauran and a vw polo as second car its only a r reg but we,ve never had no problems with it weve always had vw,s has they run forever, when i first passed my test i got a vw golf an old an and it had got loads a miles on but the old thing never let me down.. all i can say to you if be very carefull as they are a lot of con men and women out there take someone with you who knows about cars.. goodluck

miss mopple
07-11-2010, 08:10 PM
We have two 7 seaters too :blush:

I have a Previa, which I love, but does cost quite alot to run. DH now has a Verso (toyota) which costs less to run as its diesel. Before the verso his car was an Aygo, which was fantastic as only cost £35 a year to tax and was uber fuel efficient, but we had to change it as we got a dog and needed to be able to take her plus the kids in his car sometimes. I like the fact now that if I have a problem with mine that I can use his in an emergency for work :thumbsup:

karen m
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
i agree with their being dodgy people out there,i traded in my espace for a zafira loved zafira but after 4 weeks engine has gone bang garage saying not there fault i should of taken the highest warranty instead of middle one as this only covers a few things not what went wrong on my car so at the minute i am using mum',s, daughter's and walking a lot

charlie potato
07-11-2010, 08:43 PM
i agree with their being dodgy people out there,i traded in my espace for a zafira loved zafira but after 4 weeks engine has gone bang garage saying not there fault i should of taken the highest warranty instead of middle one as this only covers a few things not what went wrong on my car so at the minute i am using mum',s, daughter's and walking a lot

was it bought 'as seen'? i'd speak to Citizens advice bureau or trading standards and see whether theres anything you can do. xx

george
07-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Congrats on passing your test, wonderful independance, you will wonder how you coped without a car now?

We have two cars, an eight seater that is fantastic for childminding but uses a lot of diesal and costs a fortune in car tax etc.. but as I say well worth it for taking the children out and about and lots of room for prams and wheelchair which is great, and a Citroen C1 that is brilliant to get you from A to B, its also low emissions so the yearly car tax is only £35!
I bought it new three years ago so only just had to have my first MOT which it passed no problem,

You just need to budget first, ie get insurance quotes and work out estimate you can allow each week for petrol for both of them, if you can cope with that you will work the rest out as u go im sure,

I love having my own car wouldnt want to be without it, ever!

LOOPYLISA
07-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes we run 2 cars, was 3 ! :eek:

Hubs has a van for work and I have the shogun , it is expensive but needs must x

Annie_T
08-11-2010, 08:32 AM
congrats on passing hun :thumbsup: :jump for joy: :clapping:

we have 2 cars and a van

my car - My work car
his car - The toy (only out weekends really)
the van - His work van

we have 1 policy for all our cars (which covers both our work use :D )
as for fuel he pays for his and i payfor mine (i put in £40 week- give or take useage every week - soemtimes it lasts 2 weeks)
his van is Diesel so is really cheap to run really

our insurance is £170 over 9 monhs
x

Roseolivia
09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
We have 2 7seaters, only because hubby runs his own business so has had a shogun for a while and i needed one for childminding so got a Zafira. The shogun is expensive to run as to fill the tank it's nearly £100 but they are both used a lot.

LOOPYLISA
09-11-2010, 05:19 PM
We have 2 7seaters, only because hubby runs his own business so has had a shogun for a while and i needed one for childminding so got a Zafira. The shogun is expensive to run as to fill the tank it's nearly £100 but they are both used a lot.

Yes our shogun is £100 for a full tank :panic:

Trouble
09-11-2010, 05:22 PM
We have 1 x 7 seater mine
1 hubby work car
1x camper van ours
1 mini sons project in garage
and we did have another but it bust and a long story

my neighbours hate us :laughing: