PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone advise on DD aged 4 still wetting?

mummyjo
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
As the title suggests my lovely DD is 4, nearly 5 and she has just started school. The problem is that she still constantly wets herself throughout the day. The teachers are great about it and they change her with no fuss, but should I be concerned?

My inlaws are constantly shouting at her because of this 'issue', even though I have told them not to! I don't know whether she will just grow out of it or whether this a concern at her age?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Pipsqueak
05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
As the title suggests my lovely DD is 4, nearly 5 and she has just started school. The problem is that she still constantly wets herself throughout the day. The teachers are great about it and they change her with no fuss, but should I be concerned?

My inlaws are constantly shouting at her because of this 'issue', even though I have told them not to! I don't know whether she will just grow out of it or whether this a concern at her age?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I think first things first - sort the in-laws out and tell them in no uncertain terms to back right off. I would be going lite if my in-laws done that to my child.

If the teachers are ok about it - perhaps you could be formulating a plan with them - ie she goes to the loo between class. Is she wetting at home too?

Perhaps you need to speak to your health visitor as they can guide you through better but she is still only little.

michellethegooner
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
My son suffered from wetting when he was younger (till he was about 6)

I took all pressure off him, and I didn't make an issue out of it, also advice we got from the clinic was to encourage him to drink more, and to encourage him to hold his wee for as long as he could then whilst at loo release hole release etc to encourage better bladder control, also more reminders to use the toilet, sure you do this anyhow

It helped a lot, firstly and most importantly the in laws need to back off, as the pressure and stress are only going to make it worse, if they can't control it how can shouting etc make it stop?

Good luck

Polly2
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
My son also wet until age 6 or 7 he is 8 now and stil wets at night. It is really common and I found this web site helpful - maybe you could show this to your inlaws http://www.eric.org.uk/

Totally know where you are coming from with unhelpful family - I nearly came to blows with my sister and brother-in-law :angry:

I spoke to the school nurse about it as it was a problem at school - she was fab and sorted out some strategies with his teacher at the time.

Helcatt
05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I took all pressure off him, and I didn't make an issue out of it, also advice we got from the clinic was to encourage him to drink more, and to encourage him to hold his wee for as long as he could then whilst at loo release hole release etc to encourage better bladder control, also more reminders to use the toilet, sure you do this anyhow

Good luck

This was pretty much what we were told. My DD is 5, almost 6 and still wet at night and we were told that she should drink more and not be reminded to go to the loo so often, so that it gives a chance for the bladder to expand and therefor, able to hold more overnight before emptying

HTH

HX

Pipsqueak
05-11-2010, 04:39 PM
James still wets at night - he turns 6 in December. Apparently its a bi-symptom of being lactose intolerant - the hormone that is needed to help process the sugars -- that is missing is the same one that helps 'wee training' or something like that. there are key points this kicks in and around 7yr old is when it can kick in again and the next time is 13yr old.

We struggle getting James to drink during the day though - he has never been a big drinker and we have to remind him to drink as he can go all day without a drink. I get really concerned about him at school as when he was on packed lunches and I could monitor what he was eating/drinking you could guarantee EVERY single day - his drink would come back untouched.

venus89
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Same as Polly and Michelle - my son wasn't dry at night until he was 7, and wet himself occasionally during the day until about that age, and was still wetting daily all the way through reception, though not to the extent that your daughter does.

We saw the school nurse and got the same advice as the others - plenty to drink, reminding about going to the toilet. We were told to send him to the toilet every 2 hours.

And punch your in laws in the nose. Putting pressure on your daughter isn't going to help at all, she can't help it.

littletreasures
05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Please go to the doctor and ask for a referral.

I have a mindee who is now 8. She was potty trained at 2 (by me!) and was dry during the day, but still wet at night. About 6 months later Mum and I both noticed that she kept having wet knickers. We put this down to her getting so involved in doing something that she couldn't be bothered to go to the toilet.

During the next year it still went on, I suggested to Mum on a few occasions that she should get her checked out.

She took her to the doctor who suggested getting her to drink more, not making a big issue out of it etc. but there was no change.

Fast forward to when she was 5/6. Eventually Doctor sent O to see a consultant and have a scan. It showed up that she has a hypersensitive bladder. The bladder doesn't contract, shutting off the wee. She is on medication for it and it had got better, although she still has to wear nappies at night and they are very full in the morning.

We have to make sure she drinks loads during the day (this is no mean feat given the school are so unhelpful in reminding her to drink her water). She was also on a low dose of antibiotics as she kept getting urine infections as well.

She went back to the hospital 3 weeks ago and they changed her medication. She is now back to wetting herself. We feel she is not even aware that she is doing it. She won't change her knickers at school so I now keep a little box full of knickers in the toilet along with nappy sacks and as soon as she comes in she goes to the toilet and changes herself.

Mum has spoken to the consultant yesterday and they have upped her dose, so hopefully it will sort itself out and she will stop wetting.

I have said to Mum what is the next step if the medication is not going to work, she hasn't asked the consultant this question, which I would have done so we just have to wait and see what happens.

Your daughter's situation may not be the same, but I, personally, would get her checked out.

Adiamond
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
My Ds (8) still wets at night and occasionally in the day. We are under the paediatrician and he is on desmomelts, they asked us if any of us wet when we were younger and hubbie wet until he was about 13 and the doctor said well expect T to wet until he is 13 :eek: They say that the majority of children who wet in the day or night will find that 1 or both of their parents did the same. x x x

mummyjo
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all your help.:)

I may take her to the doctor just to get her checked out.