PDA

View Full Version : Foundation stage degree

squiggle
11-04-2008, 11:29 AM
is anyone doing this?

i have been looking into it but unsure of the workload and what is involved.

any comments gratefully received

Jen x

sarah707
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm doing e123 and e124 with Open university. this gives a level 4 foundation degree...

It's hard work and making me think a lot. I set aside time to do it at the weekends. :D

Tatia
11-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm working towards (officially) a Foundation Degree (unofficially am shooting for BA) and am currently doing E123 and 124, like Sarah. I love it, find it very enjoyable but it is a big committment. I usually work on it in the evenings or week ends. Definitely takes up a lot of time and I have had to learn to organize myself to the teeth in order to fit it in but I don't regret going for it.

squiggle
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM
how long are your courses overall and how many hours a week do you think you spend doing the work??

sorry for more questions

Jen x

Tatia
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Ummm, my courses are running from February through...err...October? And I'd guess I put in 10 hours a week? More when a TMA is due (tutor marked assignment of which there are 3 plus 1 more comprehensive one at the end).

I'm getting my paperwork ready to apply for the next course and that one will run from October to Feb of 2009 (I think off the top of my head).

sarah707
11-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I do about 10 hours a week as well... one good thing about ou is that all the course material is provided and they do produce a good study timetable.

I do the reading in the evenings and put together the essays at the weekend ... I'm learning sooo much, it's definitely been a worthwhile exercise for me to update my skills. :D

angeldelight
11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Just wanted to say good luck if you go ahead with this

Angel xx

Kelly
11-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Jen

I completed the E123 & E124 last year, like the others said it is hard work and time consuming, when I started I was told that you should be able to commit 8 hours per course a week, I found I was doing about 10 hours a week studying (more when assignments were due in). I really enjoyed doing this course but have yet to decide if I will go on and complete the foundation degree or just be content with the level 4 qualification. You do not need to do both courses together I know a few people that did them seperately and they found the going easier.

Good luck with your decision

Kelly

squiggle
11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
thanks for all of your replies.

i was looking at doing nvq level 4 but when i spoke to the development team they said they are not doing the level 4 as such but want people to go for the degree.

i'm doing the city and guilds certificate in the EYFS at the moment and will finish that in june so won't be looking to start it until after that.

Jen x

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I have my N.N.E.B. and my network inspector has tried to get me to go for the degree, but my view is that i see me being a childminder for a long time , just because i have put in loads of hours doing a degree, not to mention putting a strain on family life doesn't mean to say i could charge more per hour!

squiggle
11-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I have my N.N.E.B. and my network inspector has tried to get me to go for the degree, but my view is that i see me being a childminder for a long time , just because i have put in loads of hours doing a degree, not to mention putting a strain on family life doesn't mean to say i could charge more per hour!

i know what you mean monkey.

i have always wanted to teach though and i am thinking this could be a way for me to go into teacher training after. i'm nearly 27 so don't want to leave it much longer.

i have got to give it some thought though as i have to be more organised to have 10 hours spare to do work.

Jen x

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Well if it gives you a pathway into teaching then maybe you should give it a go, especially if you can get funding!:D

miffy
11-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Just wanted to say good luck Jen if you decide to go for it

miffy xx

deeb66
14-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Good luck Jen :thumbsup:

Tatia
14-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Best of luck, Jen. It's a great opportunity, especially if you can get funding. I am interested in either managing a children's centre or owning/operating a daycare or nursery somewhere down the road so my stairway definitely leads to degree level. You should have a chat with either the training officer at your local CIS or your development officer, if you have one?

hoochi
14-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi all im new to the site and since i found it i cannot get enough so firstly thank you all for all the information provided, secondly i have been looking into the open university for the courses E123 and E124 as i ahve NVQ level 2, 3 so figured this is the next step, am i being cheecky asking people how much this costs and if there is any chance of funding how would i find out about this i have looked n the OU site and it baffles me, thanks in advance x

Tatia
15-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I received funding from the Transformation Fund (80%!!!) but that pot of money has gone now. I'm sure there's more funding to be had, though. You need to contact your development worker or the training officer at your local CIS (which is what I did, cornered the poor woman at an unrelated training course, hehe).

If not, then E123 and 124 together cost about £650, something like that. They're £300 and something each.

Julia
16-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I am doing a foundation degree in childcare and education with Newport UNi. I go on a Monday night to my local college for 4 hours in the evening and then spend around 5-10 hours on asssignments, reading and presentations.

The workload is really intensive, but this time next year I'll have my Foundation degree and going onto the BA, which is an extra year.

Think carefully though, its a lot of hard work, if your business is a busy one you may struggle.

Good Luck

Julia

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I am considering it for next year.

Our local college is running the Certificate in EYFS in September and am thinking of doing this first in case it might help me to get my head around the EYFS only problem no cost yet but think it is goingto be around £300 fr a 14 week course with 3 Saturdays hoping local EY will fund it but they are not sure yet.

squiggle
17-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I am considering it for next year.

Our local college is running the Certificate in EYFS in September and am thinking of doing this first in case it might help me to get my head around the EYFS only problem no cost yet but think it is goingto be around £300 fr a 14 week course with 3 Saturdays hoping local EY will fund it but they are not sure yet.

i have found the certificate in the eyfs really useful and i would recommend anyone to do it.

quite a bit of written work but it is interesting and i do understand the eyfs now

I got mine all funded so get on at them to sort it out

Jen x

miffy
17-04-2008, 08:42 PM
How long is the EYFS course Jen?

Is it all written or do you have to be observed like NVQ?

thanks

Miffy xx

buildingblocks
17-04-2008, 11:11 PM
How long is the EYFS course Jen? Is it all written or do you have to be observed like NVQ? Miffy xx

How will you be assessed?
You will be assessed by 3 different methods - assessor observation, walk & talk and reflective task.

Taken from the cache website they did have the handbook on there but I can't find it now typical

One of the visits it said was when thechildren are not in your supervision and you take htem round and explain your information (or somethign like that ) so in our case when there are no children in the setting so depending on the day before 7.30am and after 6.30pm so which assessor is going to do that think that was aimed at nurseries and hte like lol:doh:

go to this page
http://89.234.39.234/cacheDNN/Default.aspx?tabid=194

and then click on the course

this link might do it but not sure
http://89.234.39.234/cacheDNN/Portals/0/pdf/CEYFSP-L3_hb_Nov2007.pdf

taken from page 10

Will I be able to work with children during the walk and talk? No, it will be very difficult to do this and so it is advisable to arrange cover or to show your assessor around the setting at lunchtime or out of hours, for example before the setting
opens.

squiggle
18-04-2008, 12:00 PM
How long is the EYFS course Jen?

Is it all written or do you have to be observed like NVQ?

thanks

Miffy xx

my course is based over 6 months, i have to attend 3 saturdays and 3 evenings - one saturday in jan, march and may and one evening for 2 hours in feb, april and june.

my assessor came out to see me once a few weeks ago and she had a look around the setting and saw how i was with the children and asked me a few questions. when my last training session is completed on 9th of june we will have a few weeks to finish the 3rd unit everything and then my assessor will visit again to collect my work and ask a few more questions if necessary.

the written work is ok, i have to answer the questions finding the relevant parts from the eyfs and then relect on my own practice. i'm finding it makes me look through the pack and it is making me read everything.

its based on 3 units and looks at all of the eyfs framework which is useful.

Another member on here is doing it too, she is on the same course as me.

i should be doing my work now - and guess what i'm on here. nevermind i have a day off!! :clapping:

Hope that answers some questions

Jen x