PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to the 02? What do I do about this?

Cazz
04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm in a real dilemma here and don't know what to do - sorry this may be a bit long!

My daughter was a massive JLS fan and back in March/April my friend phoned on her mobile and said she had got through on her landline and could get tickets for a JLS concert in January 2011 at the O2 - she needed to know there and then whether I wanted tickets. Dh and me agreed we would buy 2 and it would be part of dd's Christmas present.

However, I found out afterwards that the tickets are on Level 4 and I don't know if I would be able to cope with the height. I think I may have developed Vertigo because we got free tickets to a football match and we were right at the top of the stadium - I was shaking and felt dizzy, sick etc for about half an hour until I got used to it.

This brings me to my question - does anyone know roughly how high and steep Level 4 at the O2 is? I would imagine it's considerably higher than that football stadium!

Anyway, a couple of months ago my dd commented that she doesn't really like JLS anymore so we said we'd give it a little longer and if she doesn't get "back into them" we would sell the tickets and put the money towards another Christmas present for her. This seemed to be the case so we thought we'd try and sell them and not tell her we'd ever had them.

Here comes my dilemma - my friend's daughter posted on facebook tonight that she has 2 tickets to a JLS concert and dd saw it. She said she'd really love to go (I said but you don't like them anymore and she replied she does and would love to be able to go to a concert and to London as she's never been to either :rolleyes: ) She even said before she went to bed that she'd pay for the tickets herself out of her bank account :)

I really don't know what to do now because I feel bad. As far as I can see my options are:-

1. Sell the tickets as we planned to and never tell her (but I would feel guilty because she obviously would love to go)

2. Give her the tickets and grin and bear it if I don't like the height - but I'm scared I may become really ill and pass out or something!

3. Give her the tickets and invite one of her friends along (I'd obviously have to pay for their ticket as well) and I would accompany them on the train and sit somewhere in the O2 while the concert was on. My friend doesn't mind having 3 teenagers with her in the concert but I couldn't expect her to take responsibility for the whole day. I'd look like billy no mates sitting outside though and am not even sure if you can get into the 02 if you don't have tickets for a concert?

Dilemmas - any opinions and information would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry it's long!

ajs
04-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm in a real dilemma here and don't know what to do - sorry this may be a bit long!

My daughter was a massive JLS fan and back in March/April my friend phoned on her mobile and said she had got through on her landline and could get tickets for a JLS concert in January 2011 at the O2 - she needed to know there and then whether I wanted tickets. Dh and me agreed we would buy 2 and it would be part of dd's Christmas present.

However, I found out afterwards that the tickets are on Level 4 and I don't know if I would be able to cope with the height. I think I may have developed Vertigo because we got free tickets to a football match and we were right at the top of the stadium - I was shaking and felt dizzy, sick etc for about half an hour until I got used to it.

This brings me to my question - does anyone know roughly how high and steep Level 4 at the O2 is? I would imagine it's considerably higher than that football stadium!

Anyway, a couple of months ago my dd commented that she doesn't really like JLS anymore so we said we'd give it a little longer and if she doesn't get "back into them" we would sell the tickets and put the money towards another Christmas present for her. This seemed to be the case so we thought we'd try and sell them and not tell her we'd ever had them.

Here comes my dilemma - my friend's daughter posted on facebook tonight that she has 2 tickets to a JLS concert and dd saw it. She said she'd really love to go (I said but you don't like them anymore and she replied she does and would love to be able to go to a concert and to London as she's never been to either :rolleyes: ) She even said before she went to bed that she'd pay for the tickets herself out of her bank account :)

I really don't know what to do now because I feel bad. As far as I can see my options are:-

1. Sell the tickets as we planned to and never tell her (but I would feel guilty because she obviously would love to go)

2. Give her the tickets and grin and bear it if I don't like the height - but I'm scared I may become really ill and pass out or something!

3. Give her the tickets and invite one of her friends along (I'd obviously have to pay for their ticket as well) and I would accompany them on the train and sit somewhere in the O2 while the concert was on. My friend doesn't mind having 3 teenagers with her in the concert but I couldn't expect her to take responsibility for the whole day. I'd look like billy no mates sitting outside though and am not even sure if you can get into the 02 if you don't have tickets for a concert?

Dilemmas - any opinions and information would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry it's long!

can't naswer questions on the o2 although i did go to the stadium when it was the millennium dome i couldn't possibly remember that far back

but i can tell you that they won't allow you in to the arena without a ticket i often allow my dds to got to concerts and they allow me to seat them but i have to come out again from the same exit and to the same person

i often meet a friend and go and see a film or have a drink while i am waiting for them

Cazz
04-11-2010, 11:00 PM
can't naswer questions on the o2 although i did go to the stadium when it was the millennium dome i couldn't possibly remember that far back

but i can tell you that they won't allow you in to the arena without a ticket i often allow my dds to got to concerts and they allow me to seat them but i have to come out again from the same exit and to the same person

i often meet a friend and go and see a film or have a drink while i am waiting for them

Oh pants!! So number 3's probably not an option then!

I don't know London at all so I wouldn't trust myself to go anywhere else while the concerts on, unless I can find someone else to come with me who's a bit more clued up!

Stormy
04-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I don't like heights either but have been to O2 and was ok, sat in level 4 before, feels high up as you are going to your seats but once seated didnt feel queasy, I dont like deep escalators, glass lifts, glass floors or looking over the edge of a high building, but the atmosphere seemed to make me forget where I was.
Not sure if this helps, if you have ever been to wembley arena or stadium I felt these were steeper.
You could enter the building and eat in the restaurants in the surrounding area but needed tickets to enter the venue section.
Not sure if any of this is helpful I will be there in December as seeing Scissor Sisters and Simply Red so can give you more info then x

Cazz
04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi,

I don't like heights either but have been to O2 and was ok, sat in level 4 before, feels high up as you are going to your seats but once seated didnt feel queasy, I dont like deep escalators, glass lifts, glass floors or looking over the edge of a high building, but the atmosphere seemed to make me forget where I was.
Not sure if this helps, if you have ever been to wembley arena or stadium I felt these were steeper.
You could enter the building and eat in the restaurants in the surrounding area but needed tickets to enter the venue section.
Not sure if any of this is helpful I will be there in December as seeing Scissor Sisters and Simply Red so can give you more info then x

That's very helpful thank you!

I haven't been to Wembley arena or stadium (led a very sheltered life lol!) so I can't compare.

I don't know if it's possible to get anything from the doctors to help with the height issue?

It would be great if I could go as planned - it's my best friend and her daughter and it would be so nice to have a girls day out and a change of scenery!

Could you give me as much info as possible after you've been in December - if I've decided to keep the tickets it would be useful :thumbsup: Which level are you on for those concerts?

Stormy
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Both sets of tickets are in level 4, I'm not sure now if you can get into the venue even to the restaurant without a ticket, funny how I have been there a few times and dont remember.
Could you look on youtube to see if you can see any clips and get a better idea of the height? I was more aware of the height at wembley stadium as it was a daylight concert, maybe the darkness helps as i cant see where I am

Cazz
04-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Both sets of tickets are in level 4, I'm not sure now if you can get into the venue even to the restaurant without a ticket, funny how I have been there a few times and dont remember.
Could you look on youtube to see if you can see any clips and get a better idea of the height? I was more aware of the height at wembley stadium as it was a daylight concert, maybe the darkness helps as i cant see where I am

I've just done that and don't like the look of it. Read some reviews and it seems that people who don't normally have a fear of heights had a problem with it. The 02 website does actually say people with a fear of heights should not purchase tickets in Level 4!

I think it's definetly not an option for me to go to the concert :(

The Juggler
04-11-2010, 11:59 PM
can someone else take her???

wendywu
05-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Their is a cinema, exibition hall and many restaurants and even at christmas an indoor skating ring. So you could loose your self while JLS are on.

It is an entertainment centre not just a concert hall. :)

peanuts
05-11-2010, 05:19 AM
is there not a seating plan on their website so you can roughly see where it is

the_raisons
05-11-2010, 07:48 AM
The O2 has a seating plan on line if that helps.

There are loads of restaurants out side the arena, so sending teenagers in and waiting in one of them wouldn't be a problem.

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 07:51 AM
can someone else take her???

Thats what I was going to saw. An aunt or Godparent or and older cousin perhaps. With regard to you being able to go in and sit somewhere. Phone 02 and ask!

berkschick
05-11-2010, 07:57 AM
It is steep! Sorry :blush:

We made the mistake of being first in and it felt so high up (cant remember what level we were though) but as it filled up it wasnt so bad and I soon forget how high it felt to start with.

If I were you I would be last in, make sure you have been to the loo, got your drinks etc so that you dont need to go up and down the stairs during the concert and you will be fine.

I saw JLS in January and am seeing them again in December at Wembley and they were brill!

Cammie Doodle
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
see GP , you can get something to help with dizziness. Then go and enjoy the experience with your daughter :laughing:

Pipsqueak
05-11-2010, 08:46 AM
We have been to concerts were it feels like you are up in the Gods.
Once teh stadium fills up its not too bad - the height and vastness isn't so apparent. I get vertigo and had to not look down and hold onto my seat until the stadium filled up.

Get soemone else to go with her - thats proberly the best i can suggest.

Pixie dust
05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
you will definatley be able to get in the the complex as like others have said there is lots of other stuff to do. I think you should go with them letting your daughter take someone else in with her and you can get yourself a coffee and wait maybe take a good book, you will probably find there will be others doing the same thing.

angeldelight
05-11-2010, 08:58 AM
It is high up but once you are seated you do forget that

Hubby hates hights and he was also dreading it but he was ok once in there

Can no one else take her

I dont think I would not mention the tickets thinking that she would never know - say if it ever slipped out ie your friend or her daughter

If you have to go with her and you find it too high once you are there then leave her with your friend and go and sit outside and have a coffee or something ( best take a book too )
At least you will feel happy that your daughter is close, you will be warm, and you will still be able to hear the music
I know its a waste of a ticket but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Also I would email 02 and give them a right sob story ha ha just on the off chance they can suggest something haha but thats me

Hope you sort it out your daughter will love it

Angel xxx