PDA

View Full Version : Is it Me?....

rickysmiths
04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
or has the world gone mad?

Unless I have fallen asleep and lost a week it is only the 4th November today?

It is Bonfire Night tomorrow and Remembrance Sunday on Sunday Week 14th November.

Why oh why do the Christmas Lights in Oxford Street and Regent Street in London have to go on today?

What is wrong with waiting until at least the 1st December?

What do you all think.

IndigoMoon
04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I think part of the reason that Christmas no longer seems like Christmas is because it starts in September when all the gifts hit the shops as soon as the children have gone back. I hate it and wish it could all wait until December so we could have the magic back.

ajs
04-11-2010, 07:18 PM

It is Bonfire Night tomorrow and Remembrance Sunday on Sunday Week 14th November.

Why oh why do the Christmas Lights in Oxford Street and Regent Street in London have to go on today?

What do you all think.

i quite agree lets get rememberance sunday over first

RachelE
04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm glad its not just me then! :)

I'm sick of hearing and seeing adverts wish me a happy Christmas! - its like wishing me a happy birthday almost 2 months early! - you just wouldnt do it would you?! :panic:

I am not doing any Christmas art and craft before 1st December.

I am not a religious person, but also not a hypocrite and do not get the whole hype!? I am not a total bah humbug, I realise its magical for small children and they love it, but why do we go so over the top? (I have today found stuff in my dd's room that she hasnt even opened the packaging on from last year - not bought by me I hasten tpo add!)

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox, or I'd be here all night! ;)

Rachel x

rickysmiths
04-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm glad its not just me then! :)

I'm sick of hearing and seeing adverts wish me a happy Christmas! - its like wishing me a happy birthday almost 2 months early! - you just wouldnt do it would you?! :panic:

I am not doing any Christmas art and craft before 1st December.

I am not a religious person, but also not a hypocrite and do not get the whole hype!? I am not a total bah humbug, I realise its magical for small children and they love it, but why do we go so over the top? (I have today found stuff in my dd's room that she hasnt even opened the packaging on from last year - not bought by me I hasten tpo add!)

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox, or I'd be here all night! ;)

Rachel x

No I agree. I only do Christmas stuff the week they break up from school. I think the majic has gone.

The Juggler
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM

What do you all think.

:clapping: :clapping: i am def. in the Christmas is in December club too honx

FussyElmo
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM
We were laughing that someone round here already has their christmas decorations up.

Way too early and wouldnt they drive you mad seeing them. I love christmas I really do and I love putting the tree up etc but wait till its christmas.

Keep christmas in december totally agree :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
04-11-2010, 07:41 PM

What do you all think.

I agree - Christmas starts to early - we wish away our days. As soon as Xmas is over they start on the Easter stuff. Again wishing away our days.

It takes away the magic and fun - IMO

PixiePetal
04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I am happy to leave Christmas till December :thumbsup:

Adverts are driving me nuts and I want bonfire and Remembrance day first - my dad and FIL died on 13th and 14th Nov (in 2005 and 2006) and I like to remember them first too.

No Christmas crafts till Dec :thumbsup: then as some mindees are only 1 day a week we have 3 or 4 days to do things :D

breezy
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm fed up with Christmas already!!!! BAH HUMBUG :p

Fed up of mindees " Iwant that, I want that" and on and on and on............

sarah707
04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
It's not just you ricky I totally agree! :D

mummyof3
04-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Christmas in December that is how it should be our local christmas lights switch on was last week :eek:

Ripeberry
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Some stores even have Xmas carols blasting out! It was so bad in one that I just had to walk out, even though they had something I wanted :(

miffy
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
i quite agree lets get rememberance sunday over first

I think so too!

Miffy xx

Gizmo
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I agree Christmas in December, lucky us had Jedward switching on the lights tonight mmmm decided to stay at home ITS NOVEMBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cammie Doodle
04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I agree with you all.:angry: I love Christmas but not in Oct:angry:

Playmate
04-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Strongly agree preparation for Christmas should begin at the begining of advent and not before :D

LOOPYLISA
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Totally agree :thumbsup:

charlie potato
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
It spoils it putting the lights on so soon. Blackpool illuminations doesnt even finish til sunday. The illuminations to me signal autumn. xx:rolleyes:

ORKSIE
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I totally agree....its far too early to start thinking about Xmas.
I have a laff on FB and put how many days until.....
but i think adverts should not be allowed until December.

Cazz
04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I agree Christmas in December, lucky us had Jedward switching on the lights tonight mmmm decided to stay at home ITS NOVEMBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of our city shopping centres had Bob the Builder switching the lights on this evening - I didn't bother :laughing:

I LOVE Christmas but I'm not going to do anything relating to Christmas until the first full week of December - I think it just gets the children hyped up and over excited too early.

I'm taking my own children and one mindee on a santa special train ride - I've purposely booked it for 22nd December as I think it's fine for them to start getting really excited around then!

sue m
05-11-2010, 04:47 AM
I agree too. :cool: I noticed this year that people were also wearing poppies in October. Is it me or are they supposed to be worn in November? I'm a miserable old moo, Christmas means nothing to me, it seems to get earlier and earlier. I don't see any family cos we all live in different parts of the country so it's just another day to me. I haven't bought any presents or written cards yet so I suppose I ought to start. :(

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree too. :cool: I noticed this year that people were also wearing poppies in October. Is it me or are they supposed to be worn in November? I'm a miserable old moo, Christmas means nothing to me, it seems to get earlier and earlier. I don't see any family cos we all live in different parts of the country so it's just another day to me. I haven't bought any presents or written cards yet so I suppose I ought to start. :(

Goodness up early again Sue.

Yes I agree. Poppies are for the week before and up to Rememberance Sunday. I'm sure when I was little they were only worn for a few days. I suppose they sell more and raise more money. Even over a few days we always seem to loose some of ours and need more! At least it goes to a very worthwhile cause.

sue m
05-11-2010, 03:36 PM
[COLOR="Red"]

Goodness up early again Sue.

Yes I agree. Poppies are for the week before and up to Rememberance Sunday. I'm sure when I was little they were only worn for a few days. I suppose they sell more and raise more money. Even over a few days we always seem to loose some of ours and need more! At least it goes to a very worthwhile cause.

I was up early, earlier than ever and to crown it all, I was having blood tests at 9:25 so couldn't eat or drink till after those! I woke at 3:42. To be precise :o and couldn't get back to sleep.

I got a poppy in Tesco today, I'm happy to put money in the box, I stand there twice a year with my Alzheimer's box and people are so generous. Now I shall go and look for that poppy cos I have no idea where it went! :blush:

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I was up early, earlier than ever and to crown it all, I was having blood tests at 9:25 so couldn't eat or drink till after those! I woke at 3:42. To be precise :o and couldn't get back to sleep.

I got a poppy in Tesco today, I'm happy to put money in the box, I stand there twice a year with my Alzheimer's box and people are so generous. Now I shall go and look for that poppy cos I have no idea where it went! :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: I always get 2 and put them on the fridge with a magnet that way I have some hope of finding one when I want it.

the happy house
05-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I used to work on oxford street. It was enough to put me off christmas for years.
Crimbo songs played in the shop 2 months before... interspersed with Frank Carson shouting 'it's a cracker'! Manic buying at last minute too.
I've done most of my shopping already - can't stand the thought of fighting my way through the crowds.

i like to get all the madness (I hate shopping with a vengence) out of the way now, so that christmas can be fun without the stress.

Have to say, as much as I detest early Christmas advertising, I really do like the M&S ad!

sue m
05-11-2010, 05:27 PM
[/COLOR]

:laughing: :laughing: I always get 2 and put them on the fridge with a magnet that way I have some hope of finding one when I want it.

I got two lol, can't find either of em! :laughing: :laughing:

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I got two lol, can't find either of em! :laughing: :laughing:

ds has just shown me the one he got at school today! He said by the end of the first lesson with it he looked down and only the green stem was attached to his shirt. :laughing: :laughing: Not the elusive scarlet pimpernel but the elusive poppy!

Pipsqueak
05-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Poppies do have a habit of disappearing don't they!

coming back to Christmas to early..... blooming stoopid Sofa ads with the Xmas jingles...... sofa that generally are FOUL and that they couldn't get rid of in their last sale...... october half term sale.......easter sale...... february half term sale....... big summer sale........ basically all the sofas that they shoudl use on bonfires at this time of year lol

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Poppies do have a habit of disappearing don't they!

coming back to Christmas to early..... blooming stoopid Sofa ads with the Xmas jingles...... sofa that generally are FOUL and that they couldn't get rid of in their last sale...... october half term sale.......easter sale...... february half term sale....... big summer sale........ basically all the sofas that they shoudl use on bonfires at this time of year lol

:laughing: :laughing:

Have you put this on the 'Room 101 Thread? Sounds to me as if thats where they need to be.

TheBTeam
05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Christmas in December I say, our town had its christmas tree up last week and lights switched on! Horrible!

loocyloo
05-11-2010, 08:16 PM
:eek: i spent the morning sewing christmas stockings with yr R :eek:

i don't do anything christmassy till advent sunday ( which is 28th nov this year ) i'm still up to my eyes in firework crafts! you have never seen so much glitter glue on one piece of paper :rolleyes: there was no way it could go home yesterday! barely dry tonight !

then a couple of weeks of calm ...

(although i have done most of my christmas shopping as i loathe going round the shops trying to decide what to buy along with everyone else!)

rickysmiths
05-11-2010, 08:51 PM
:eek: i spent the morning sewing christmas stockings with yr R :eek:

i don't do anything christmassy till advent sunday ( which is 28th nov this year ) i'm still up to my eyes in firework crafts! you have never seen so much glitter glue on one piece of paper :rolleyes: there was no way it could go home yesterday! barely dry tonight !

then a couple of weeks of calm ...

(although i have done most of my christmas shopping as i loathe going round the shops trying to decide what to buy along with everyone else!)

Please please come and support me on the Room 101 Thread. http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=811299&highlight=room+101#post811299

They are trying to get rid of glitter (along with sand and chalk). You are obviously a supporter please come and help.

Pipsqueak
05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Please please come and support me on the Room 101 Thread. http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=811299&highlight=room+101#post811299

They are trying to get rid of glitter (along with sand and chalk). You are obviously a supporter please come and help.

ahaha - trying to drum up support. Two can play this game

PARSLEYPETAL .... we need help - you have recent first hand experience of glittery ladybits...... glitter and sand gets everywhere.

Chimps Childminding
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM

I'll support that I HATE glitter and sand!! Bought a wooden sandpit with funding money, then realised that they would be able to actually get in it to play with the sand and it would be EVERYWHERE :eek: Sandpit it still in the box in the shed :blush:

As for Christmas - I love it in December (not October) and once I know what I am getting everyone, cause at the moment I have 4 teenagers who don't NEED anything and can't give me any idea of what the would like!!! Can't do with having to race round last minute - I like my shopping done early enough that I can laugh at everyone getting stressed nearer Christmas :D

charlie potato
07-11-2010, 12:16 AM
our christmas lights tend to go on the last wk in november. My boys were chatting about it tonight as we stood watching the fireworks over our town (we live on a hill and overlook the town). I think they're going to start getting excited now bonfire night has been and gone. It will be the build up thats the best. xx

Pipsqueak
07-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I don't hate Sand as muchh as i hate glitter!
Sand - sand belongs at the beach and in a sandpit.
I just can't stand sitting on a sandy beach getting sand in your sarnies and in placess it doesn't belong.
If the kids want to play with the sand in the sand pit - thats great - just don't bring it indoors.

Bah humbug! :laughing: