PDA

View Full Version : Letter to parents regarding contract changes - does it sound ok?

FinleysMummy
03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi all.

Here's a bit of background on what i work:

I childmind for 2 familes. 1 has a 6 year old who does before and after school 3 days a week. The other has a 5 year old who does 3 before schools and 5 after schools. His 3 year old sister used to be full time, so mum asked to have her fees reduced which i did (-40p an hour). She started pre-school 4 mornings a week as of September just gone, so while she is there mum is charged £2 an hour as im on call. She starts school next September so i presume will be doing the same hours as her big brother - 3 before schools and 5 after schools. Both familes only require term time only.

I have 3 changes i want to make once i return of maternity leave in May. Both familes will be due a contract review my then. The letter i have put together is as follows (ive deleted kids names):

Dear parents

As stated in your contract an annual review will take place. This is to ensure all the childs needs are met, as well as changing fees and hours.

As of 1st April 2011 my fees will increase to £4.10 per hour in line with other childminders in the area. This is to help cover rising hikes in fuel, petrol costs, food costs and VAT. J fees will increase to £3.70 per hour while in my care and stay at £2 per hour while at pre-school. Once J starts Richard Hill her fees will increase to £4.10 an hour along side all other before and after schoolers as her hours will drop dramatically.

During the childrens school holidays a 50% retainer will be required to keep the childs space available for the next term. This does mean that you will be entitled to use the hours in the holidays if required, with 4 weeks notice. This will mean that E can use 4 ½ hours per week if required and J can use 12 ¾ hours per week. Hours can not be rolled over to other weeks.

Payments made will need to be CLEARED by the 1st of the month, not received by the first of the month. This is because sometimes i dont receive a payment until the last day of the month and then it my take a day or two to get to the bank and then when its a cheque it takes 5 days to clear. This is causing bank charges. Payments can be made by standing order if this is easier. Please ask for my bank details if you choose this method.

I am available to discuss any of these changes with you, should you wish to do so.

Thank you

Rachel
xx

So what do you think? Does it sound ok? Also i finish work in 2 weeks to go on maternity leave. Do i give them the letter before i finish, or send it in the post while on maternity leave - in March say. I return back to work on May 2nd.

Any advice would be great x

little chickee
04-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm assuming each parent will get a letter stating only their own kids details?
Not one letter with the payment details of everyone?

It sounds fine and i would give it to them now before you go on maternity leave so that if they have any queries you can get them all sorted out.

FinleysMummy
04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm assuming each parent will get a letter stating only their own kids details?
Not one letter with the payment details of everyone?

It sounds fine and i would give it to them now before you go on maternity leave so that if they have any queries you can get them all sorted out.

Yes, each parent would get their own childrens details on. Thanks for your comment. x

Goatgirl
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Dear parents

As stated in your contract an annual review will take place.

As of 1st April 2011 my fees will increase to £4.10 per hour in line with other childminders in the area. This is to help cover rising hikes in fuel, petrol costs, food costs and VAT. J fees will increase to £3.70 per hour while in my care and stay at £2 per hour while at pre-school. Once J starts Richard Hill her fees will increase to £4.10 an hour along side all other before and after schoolers as her hours will drop dramatically. I'd leave out the bit in red: you don't need to justify the change. You can always explain verbally if asked: the reduction was in place because the child was attending full time.

During the childrens school holidays a 50% retainer will be required to keep the childs space available for the next term. This does mean that you will be entitled to use the hours in the holidays if required, with 4 weeks notice. This will mean that E can use 4 ½ hours per week if required and J can use 12 ¾ hours per week. Hours can not be rolled over to other weeks.

Payments made will need to be CLEARED by the 1st of the month, not received by the first of the month. This is because uncleared payments are causing bank charges. (thought this would sound better shortened) Payments can be made by standing order if this is easier for you. Please ask for my bank details if you choose this method.

I am available, as always, (just a bit friendlier) to discuss any of these changes with you, should you wish to do so.

Thank you

Rachel
xx

So what do you think? Does it sound ok? Also i finish work in 2 weeks to go on maternity leave. Do i give them the letter before i finish, or send it in the post while on maternity leave - in March say. I return back to work on May 2nd.

Any advice would be great x

I think its a great letter Rachel :thumbsup: Very clear and to the point. Not sure when I'd send it out... Not before maternity leave... I think the march idea is a good one, that gives them a couple of months to get used to the changes... Just so long as you don't think they'll run a mile?! And possibly leave you in the lurch? In which case, maybe give them letters now and then you can guage reactions and re advertise if it looks like you'll need to.

Good luck,
hope all goes swimmingly with your happy event :)

best wishes,
Wendy