PDA

View Full Version : RIP Theodore the guinea pig

Beetlejuice
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
My DD's beloved guinea pig Theodore died unexpectedly in the night :( Poor DD is utterly distraught - was unexpected as he was only 9 months old. I went to feed him and Simon our other guinea pig this morning and found Theodore 'sleeping' peacefully. Poor little Simon is bereft as they were brothers and we have had them both since they were 9 weeks old.

I sent her to school today even though she was v upset - I thought normality was for the best and it might help take her mind off things. I've said we can make cards and write him a letter tonight to go in his coffin and we can have a burials tonight.

RIP Theodore - you were very cute and cuddly and we loved having you even for a short time :(

miss mopple
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Oh hun, I'm so sorry. Poor little thing :( Big hugs to you and your girls x

p.s- were they outside? I only ask as guineas don't like it outside when it gets too cold. Hope the other one is ok x

LOOPYLISA
03-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Awww rip piggy

We have 2 piggys they are lovely animals x

Beetlejuice
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh hun, I'm so sorry. Poor little thing :( Big hugs to you and your girls x

p.s- were they outside? I only ask as guineas don't like it outside when it gets too cold. Hope the other one is ok x

They were outside lovey but tbh I didn't have room inside for a big cage other than in the garage and I don't think that's much warmer in there. As we only have the one now I am contemplating getting an indoor cage for him and bringing him in as the cage wouldn't need to be too big just for him.

LOOPYLISA
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
They were outside lovey but tbh I don't have room inside other than in the garage and I don't think that's much warmer in there. As we only have the one now I am contemplating getting an indoor cage for him and bringing him in as the cage wouldn't need to be too big just for him.

Our piggys have always lived indoors :blush: not sure why i never put them outside

I would get him a indoor cage and pop him indoors , hope your dd is ok tonight x

miss mopple
03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Definately bring him in hun,as apart from anything else guineas need company and he may feel lonely outside, especially if you aren't getting a replacement. They are such sociable animals. They dont need a massive cage inside as long as you get them out to run around for a bit. Try cheapcycle or freecycle for an indoor cage- I got mine from there :thumbsup:

ETA: Oh, and if you do decide to keep Simon out or in the garage you can get microwavable heat pads to pop in with him at night. I have one and they are great. Can send it to you if you want to borrow it as my piggies are indoors for the winter now

Beetlejuice
03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Wrt getting a replacement I'm worried about it because they were brothers and wonder if Simon (our remaining guinea - my kids like Alvin and the chipmunks lol!) would be aggressive towards a new guinea?

Rubybubbles
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
aww rip Theodore:(

Trouble
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
bless we have 3 and would be gutted if rascal and his chums went

ours are in there winter hutch in the kitchen:D the kids are mesmorised by them at lunch time so are really quiet:clapping: :clapping:

nannymcflea
03-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Hope your dd is ok. xx

nell57
03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry to hear that, hope you dd is okay xx

SaijaM
03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
RIP Theodore...

Beetlejuice
03-11-2010, 07:47 PM
We've brought Simon indoors in the lounge and he's really pining for Theodore :( He's barely touched his food and was moping round the hutch and now he's hiding in the corner of the indoor cage.

My DD is utterly distraught. Her teacher was lovely and came to speak to me after school to say she'd done quite well - I think the distraction of school was good - but she's gone to pieces at home. She broke my heart by telling me she wanted to wish on a wishing well or a star to wish for him back :( :(

Anyway the next few days will be tough but they are jam packed as we've got school, swimming lessons and we're off to stay with my parents to celebrate my nieces birthday so I hope she will keep busy enough to not be quite so sad.

It's tough being a mummy!

LOOPYLISA
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
We've brought Simon indoors in the lounge and he's really pining for Theodore :( He's barely touched his food and was moping round the hutch and now he's hiding in the corner of the indoor cage.

My DD is utterly distraught. Her teacher was lovely and came to speak to me after school to say she'd done quite well - I think the distraction of school was good - but she's gone to pieces at home. She broke my heart by telling me she wanted to wish on a wishing well or a star to wish for him back :( :(

Anyway the next few days will be tough but they are jam packed as we've got school, swimming lessons and we're off to stay with my parents to celebrate my nieces birthday so I hope she will keep busy enough to not be quite so sad.

It's tough being a mummy!

It sure is tough :thumbsup:

Will you get a friend for theodore ?

Helcatt
03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Ah, bless. Your poor little girl - I know E would be gutted if anything happened to Noodles or Bert!

HX

Beetlejuice
03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
It sure is tough :thumbsup:

Will you get a friend for theodore ?

I'm not sure. Seeing the vet tomorrow as the boys were booked in for a groom and nail trim etc so I will ask what he thinks. I'm worried about Simon being aggressive towards a new friend. But I've been told that a dwarf rabbit can live with a guinea pig so will see what the vet says to that as I know the girls would adore a rabbit.

LOOPYLISA
04-11-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm not sure. Seeing the vet tomorrow as the boys were booked in for a groom and nail trim etc so I will ask what he thinks. I'm worried about Simon being aggressive towards a new friend. But I've been told that a dwarf rabbit can live with a guinea pig so will see what the vet says to that as I know the girls would adore a rabbit.

Yes ive heard they can :thumbsup:

Its so sad when we loose our animals, hope your dd is feeling a little better today x

Polly2
04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
hope your daughter is ok - thinking of you xx