PDA

View Full Version : online first aid course

hev
02-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi, i have been registered since Aug 09 and still have to do a first aid coarse. It has been a nightmare trying to get on one, i was booked for Nov but since been cancelled. I have found an online child carers first aid course for £20 which comes with certificate, has anyone done one of these? i have no idea how good it is, i know it wont be hands on but something surely is better than nothing?
Sorry for waffling on!!

Thanks Hev xx

Cammie Doodle
02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry never done one on line, but Im sure someone will be along and give you advise soon

Mollymop
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
You have to do a 12 hour paediatric first aid course, so an online one won't be enough for ofsteds requirements I am afraid

Pauline
02-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi, i have been registered since Aug 09 and still have to do a first aid coarse. It has been a nightmare trying to get on one, i was booked for Nov but since been cancelled. I have found an online child carers first aid course for £20 which comes with certificate, has anyone done one of these? i have no idea how good it is, i know it wont be hands on but something surely is better than nothing?
Sorry for waffling on!!

Thanks Hev xx

Hi Hev

You will have to do the full 12 hour course I'm afraid.

You really ought to check that you are covered by your childminding insurance to work without first aid because having a first aid certificate is a requirement for registration and therefore insurance might be affected if you don't have one - not saying it is, but well worth checking. :)

Do you have any local childminding support that you could contact? or try your FIS? for courses in your area.

Blaze
02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
As above! :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Hev

You will have to do the full 12 hour course I'm afraid.

You really ought to check that you are covered by your childminding insurance to work without first aid because having a first aid certificate is a requirement for registration and therefore insurance might be affected if you don't have one - not saying it is, but well worth checking. :)

Do you have any local childminding support that you could contact? or try your FIS? for courses in your area.

I agree with the above and over a year is a long time to not have done it, especially as it is a condition of Registration. It is your responsibility to do it. Have you tried local St John Ambulance, Red Cross. It can cost up to £80 or £90 but you can put it down as an expense.

jellybean cc
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi can you post link for on line course please. I have done the 12 hour course but it might be useful to do it as a refresher as i panic that i have forgot important stuff. I did the course back in March and am only just ready to start minding.

Also might be good for my husband who is registered as my assistant/ we have been told he does not have to do the full 12 hour course so this might be good for him.

Thanks Elaine

rickysmiths
02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi can you post link for on line course please. I have done the 12 hour course but it might be useful to do it as a refresher as i panic that i have forgot important stuff. I did the course back in March and am only just ready to start minding.

Also might be good for my husband who is registered as my assistant/ we have been told he does not have to do the full 12 hour course so this might be good for him.

Thanks Elaine

He will have to do the full course if he is going to be left alone with mindees.

Mouse
02-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry for waffling on!!

Thanks Hev xx

Are you in Scotland? I'm not sure that it's a requirement there, but I think a minimum 12 hour course is still recommended.

hev
02-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi thanks for the replies, i am in scotland so it is not a requirement to have first aid just good practice. The waiting lists are horrendous to get on a course, so i thought this would be better than nothing,

Thanks Hev xx

CHEEKY BEE
02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Do u have an extended schools group near u? We have one run from the local secondary school and they offer lots of different courses, including first aid at a reasonable price?

:)

karen m
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
my hubby is from scotland and we have decided to move back up there i think lol keep changing mind could someone pm and let me no if i have to reregister and start from scatch or or is it just some things that are differant

tulip0803
02-11-2010, 11:48 PM
my hubby is from scotland and we have decided to move back up there i think lol keep changing mind could someone pm and let me no if i have to reregister and start from scatch or or is it just some things that are differant

Yes you will have to re-register as you would be covered by the Care Commission not OFSTED.