View Full Version : Household Insurance

Chatterbox Childcare
01-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I have had my renewal of house and contents insurance Up 71%

Who do you use and why?

sarah707
01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Ouch!!

I use Churchill for buildings and contents because... they insure me for accidental damage, they are competitive, they add on mobile phones / ipods etc for very little extra, they have an English call centre and they have a pretty good reputation.

Hth :D

Pauline
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
SAGA ......... cos we're old :laughing:

tulip0803
01-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Direct Line - Same as Churchill:thumbsup:

Carol M
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Aviva through NCMA.
Carol xx

manjay
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Aviva through NCMA.
Carol xx

ditto :D xx

Twinkles
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM

There have to be some advantages :D

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Debbie. I'm with Liverpool Victoria. I think they are brilliant. They cover accidental to soft furnishings for minders (not sure of exact limits for no. children but I never have more than 10).

We have buildings contents and annual travel with them and we've claimed twice on travel (£2,000 and then £500) and they paid up no problem and our premiums are lower now than they were then:D

We've just claimed for a lucozade spill on my rather knackered, 6 1/2 year old lounge carpet and assessors were here in 3 days with like for like samples and they are sorting everything, ordering etc and fitters will be here as soon as carpet is delivered to the store they are using.

I would highly recommend them.x

71% increase is shocking though:eek: :eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
01-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Ouch!!

I use Churchill for buildings and contents because... they insure me for accidental damage, they are competitive, they add on mobile phones / ipods etc for very little extra, they have an English call centre and they have a pretty good reputation.

Hth :D

Watch out at your renewal as it was Churchill that gave me the renewal!

Chatterbox Childcare
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Hubby has access to SAGA and I assumed that they wouldn't cover us due to the job but will call

glitzygal
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I use HOME MINDER, i found the number in the WHO MINDS? magazine,
i found it quite cheap and covered me with lots of things :)

Heaven Scent
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I use home minder although they have changed their underwriters this year - they gave the most comprehensive cover for minders - Loads don't cover minders and although I was with Barclays and they would cover minders it was for a maximum of 3 children they claim thats the total number of mindees a minder can have so thats all they are willing to insure for.

I went to MM & Home Minder and asked 100's of q's and Motor Minder were the best.

maisiemog
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
We use more than. Never had to claim on the insurance tho so no idea how it would be if we did. They were considerably cheaper for us than most people who we looked at and seemed to offer more than most!

candy cat
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Zurich solutions plus we are covered for accidental damage for childminding...our brokers wife is a cm so that helps! ha!

Mollymop
02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
We're with churchill, our renewals are not too bad, about £1 per year extra. But we never ever claim, touch wood we have not ever needed too

Donkey
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I use morton michel...

loads cheaper than home minder...

cover for me for accidental damage for mindees and up to 10 at anyone time.

result!

rickysmiths
03-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Watch out at your renewal as it was Churchill that gave me the renewal!

I'm with Churchill and they have given me stupid renewal quotes. The first time I went on line and got a quote for just over £220 (the renewal had been nearer £600) they matched the online quote.

Last December they did the same, I got a quote from them on line for just over the £200 instead of £635 :eek: They could only reduce to £435 so recommended cancelling my Policy and taking out a new one. So I did and paid just over £200.

Its all a game. Mine is due mid December so it will be interesting to see what happens this year.

The Juggler
03-11-2010, 07:27 AM
I'm with Churchill and they have given me stupid renewal quotes. The first time I went on line and got a quote for just over £220 (the renewal had been nearer £600) they matched the online quote.

Last December they did the same, I got a quote from them on line for just over the £200 instead of £635 :eek: They could only reduce to £435 so recommended cancelling my Policy and taking out a new one. So I did and paid just over £200.

Its all a game. Mine is due mid December so it will be interesting to see what happens this year.

:panic: :panic: great way to keep your customers - NOT!

rickysmiths
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
:panic: :panic: great way to keep your customers - NOT!

Except once I got online, their quote was the cheapest for us. Hubby is a music teacher and plays the piano. We inheirited his Dads piano a couple of years ago and it made my eyes water when he told me how much it was worth :eek: so we have it as a specifed item along with a couple of other things.

I think 14 miles from London and inside the M25 to get Buildings and Contents cover and be covered for minding for a little over £200 is fantastic. I seemed to be paying around £150 per year more than that for a good few years so it is a real drop for us. I have been with Churchill since they took over the Insurance company I was with in 1998 because by whatever means they have always given the best quote.

The trouble is that no companies give and points for loyalty now. That means we are all left to start fron square one every year. it drives me nuts. I think if you stay with a company for more than 5yrs with no claims you should get a year free as a thank you.

guest2
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Swinton for both Buildings and contents they've been really good and not to bad for renewals either!! Also great when we needed to make a claim recently

The Juggler
03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Except once I got online, their quote was the cheapest for us. Hubby is a music teacher and plays the piano. We inheirited his Dads piano a couple of years ago and it made my eyes water when he told me how much it was worth :eek: so we have it as a specifed item along with a couple of other things.

I think 14 miles from London and inside the M25 to get Buildings and Contents cover and be covered for minding for a little over £200 is fantastic. I seemed to be paying around £150 per year more than that for a good few years so it is a real drop for us. I have been with Churchill since they took over the Insurance company I was with in 1998 because by whatever means they have always given the best quote.

The trouble is that no companies give and points for loyalty now. That means we are all left to start fron square one every year. it drives me nuts. I think if you stay with a company for more than 5yrs with no claims you should get a year free as a thank you.

that's what I meant hon. £200 a year is a very good deal just don't understand why you have to leave and join again to get the deal. Surely they WANT to keep good customers. doesn't make sense to me.

sue m
04-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Oooh, I never thought about Saga Pauline. I will check them out. Cos I am old too! :laughing:

dusky777
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi im trying to sort mine out at the moment and i have had 2 quotes one for £39 a month by santander they wont cover acciental damage for contents!!!or £21 by lv....lv say it doesnt matter that im a child minder as long as i have my public liability?!

The Juggler
08-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi im trying to sort mine out at the moment and i have had 2 quotes one for £39 a month by santander they wont cover acciental damage for contents!!!or £21 by lv....lv say it doesnt matter that im a child minder as long as i have my public liability?!

that's who I'm with. they are ace. though yours is cheaper than mine! where are you based?