PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Caps On

Ms WG
01-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Had a lady telephone me with complicated working hours.

She's on maternity leave due to return in March. Cabin crew for Thompson Airlines and will be returning part-time.

However, part-time means that she will work one month and then have one complete month off and so forth. During the month that she does work, she will require different days every week as well as different hours.

So

1 What would you charge for the whole month the child doesnt come. Dont think I should be expected to have no payment for a month, as I cant really fill the plaement

2 During the months the child does come, they are by the sound of it, expecting care on any given day of the week according to her rota, so again am keeping days open just for her.

Need to come up with a fee structure so that mum doesnt think she's paying full time hours for a part-time placement, but so that I am not losing out financially when the child is not with me

Any help much appreciated

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
before you decide to do this I think you need to figure out the minimum number of hours per day and per week that you'd be prepared to be paid for. I would then set that as the contract structure and anything over and above that per week is charged on top.

I would not offer a month payment free or on a retainer, I couldn't afford to.

Ms WG
01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I totally agree with the month off on a retainer. Its the working month part I'm struggling with

The Juggler
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I totally agree with the month off on a retainer. Its the working month part I'm struggling with

def. go with the minimum hours that works for you then hon, charge it and charge extra for any longer days you do.

Penny1959
02-11-2010, 07:32 AM
I have mum who works shifts and for agency - so never know what days / hours.

I charge a set fee every week for a set number of hours - her choice if uses or not - can use for any reason not just work.

Then pays for any additional hours - works for me as mim amount is enough and when extra hours get extra money.

Penny :)

Ms WG
02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Thank you ladies !

Any more suggestions before my head explodes :o

clio0602
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I think if it was me I would charge Full time for 1 month then half fees for the month off with her having the option of using odd days hours if she needs to do shopping etc

Also a month is a long time for lo to be away from your setting presume its a baby? So, if it was me, I would suggest lo came to me a few hrs a wk anyway so they are more settled? HTH

Mouse
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Also a month is a long time for lo to be away from your setting presume its a baby? So, if it was me, I would suggest lo came to me a few hrs a wk anyway so they are more settled? HTH

I agree with that. I would suggest that baby comes to you at least one day a week even when it's mum's month off. It would be like settling in all over again if you have a complete month without mindee.

Parents really need a full time place, so I would tell them that that's what most childminders would charge. If you're happy to take half fee for the month off, I'd say full fee for the month on & half for the month off

gigglinggoblin
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM

definately would be better for the child that way, maybe even 2 x 2 hour slots per week in the off month.

I would probably charge 50% for the month off but work out the cost for two months and split it, so if you charge £400 for the working month and £200 for the non working month I would ask for £300 both months and make sure I charge up front. If she gives notice before a working month she would have to pay the higher charge for that month. Only if you can afford to charge 50%, she might get help with childcare for every month anyway