PDA

View Full Version : Increasing fees

maisiemog
31-10-2010, 09:32 AM
How would I go about wording a letter saying that I plan to increase my fees from 1st Jan?

I deliberately set them low when I first started minding as I felt my lack of experience didn't merit the fees that some minders near me charge. However, I now have more experience, a better idea of running costs and feel I am providing a quality service so I want to raise them.

How do I explain all this to parents? Was planning to put something about inflation and rising VAT etc meaning that unfortunately I have no choice but raise them. Also it gives me a nice round figure and makes it so much easier for me to work out what parents will owe me each month!!!

sarah707
31-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Do you have a fees policy which says you intend to put your fees up annually by xx amount?

It would be easiest to quote that! :D

rickysmiths
31-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I have in my fees policy that I reserve the right to increase my fees at any time without a huge amont of notice if factors outside my control increase my costs. So food prices rising hikes in fuel, petrol costs and VAT comes under this as well. I am actually looking at an increase for the new year.

westbrom44
31-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I am putting my fees up by 10p per hour in January and gave all the parents a list of my new fees. I just told them that I am putting my fees up without any explaination. They all seemed to accept this.

kymberly
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Or you could say 'i'm putting my fees up to keep in line with other childminders in the area'.

:laughing: :thumbsup:

mrs c
02-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Or you could say 'i'm putting my fees up to keep in line with other childminders in the area'.

:laughing: :thumbsup:

This is what I usually say. It indicates that you are all charging the same so parents are ok with this.

Millenium
02-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I have a clause in my contracts regarding my fees increasing automatically on 1st January each year so I don't have to justify or explain it. On 1st December, I shall give them all a letter confirming the amount of the increase - haven't finally decided how much yet - probably 20p per hour this time round.

miffy
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I just do a letter saying "as from (date) my charges will be as follows........"

Make sure you allow the notice period on your contract before increasing prices.

You don't have to explain yourself.

Miffy xx

Cazz
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I have in my policies that fees are reviewed each April (just thought it was easier with the new tax year) but I reserve the right to increase fees at other times in the event of a significant rise in food or other items purchased for my childminding business.

I was registered in September 2009 and deliberately put my charges at around 20p per hour more than most other local childminders so in April I was able to put in my newsletter that I am pleased to advise there will be no increase in fees at the present time :D I would imagine I will do the same next April because most of them are still lower than me and there's not enough work around here at the moment for me to justify charging any extra.

maisiemog
03-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Cheers. I have a 4 week notice period for increases in fees so I think giving letters out this week when I give parents their reciepts will be plenty of notice. Its actually only 2 parents that I need to notify. When I decided what my new fees were going to be any new starters had their contracts put into place with the new fees on them!

letter all written. Just hope parents are ok with it!