PDA

View Full Version : Begining to think I've made the wrong move. Aaagh!

Clever Clogs
10-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Feeling a bit sorry for myself just now as nothing seems to be going right and beginning to think I've gone down the wrong path by leaving a secure job of 18 years to childminding. Please reassure me thta I'm wrong!! Only just been told by my neighbour that she's not going to be using me from 5th May. She has wee boy 2 months older than mine so since us both being pregnant it has kind of been a dead cert that I would be going through the childminding process and would look after her son. Because we had to wait until he is one he has been in a nursery since Jan and she now feels cost wise although I'm a bit cheaper, he has settled well there and she has the constant reliability that should I get sick or ill then at least at nursery she has constant back up (see her point there I suppose). Also with holidays etc she feels it would be rather costly having to pay me and then having to find other childcare when I am not working. I can see where she's coming from but wish I had known last week when I've turned away two full timers! I could scream. Now don't know what's going to happen. In April I got my final pay which sees me ok till the end of this month but was relying on having some childminding income by now adn so far not a lot. I have a mum coming tomorrow to see me about part time care so hopefully that will go okay. I need the phone to ring for a full timer now though!!

Sorry for sounding off, just feel as though my head is going to burst thinking about it so best to get it out angrily on my keyboard.

Tracey

Twinkles
10-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh no what a shock. I hope you get the lo tomorrow. Will cross fingers you get more enquiries.

Blaze
10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Can you not ring back the full timers enquirey's & tell them you now have a vacancy?
Blaze:)

Banana
10-04-2008, 08:13 PM
just wanted to say chin up and i hope that things fall into place for you soon

xxxx

katickles
10-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh I'm really sorry that this has happened. On a brighter note - your details are out there as you said you've already turned away 2 so hopefully you'll get some more calls very very soon!!

I know its hard turning away - i have turned most of my enquiries away as they are for babies & my baby place is taken from Sept 1st, until then i'm skint!!!

Do you go to any childminders groups - I got a mindee from a recommendation at mine, maybe this is worth a try?

Good luck!:)

Kelly
10-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I agree with Blaze, do you still have the full timers phone numbers? call them and say you have an unexpected vacancy and would they like to visit. Sometimes it does feel like a waiting game when you first start out. I think in the long run I think you are better off not having your friends child, it is much easier is you do not mix business and pleasure.

Good luck, tell everyone you meet you are a childminder, you never know who's looking!

Kelly

Clever Clogs
10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Aaw thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately I only have one of the numbers but will phone her anyway.

I'm sure something will turn up.

Cheers
Tracey

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh what a shame this has happened and annoying too?

Hope you managed to get hold of the one person that had called before ?

Good luck with the part timer also let us know

Dont hold out just for full timers though - sometimes you can end up with lots of part timers but they soon make your money up - it can be difficult sometimes to get hold of full time children

Good luck and hope you get some calls soon

Angel xx

Noodles
10-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Something will turn up eventually just keep your chin up and good luck with the part timer:)

sarah707
10-04-2008, 09:06 PM
What a let down! I really feel for you... good luck with the interview! :D

LittleMissSparkles
11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
It may feel like the wrong decision now as things are not lloking good as your neighbour has let you down but I promise it will be ok long term and things will work out well, sometimes it just takes time to get to your goals iyswim, I have lost one mindee so am very quiet in the week now other than before and after school i just have B on mon's and fri's but gives me 3 days with my lo and am enjoying the peace mid week before the storms come again .... lol

xxx

Keep your chin up babe xxx

ruby
11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
so sorry you have been let down
good luck with the part timer

hope the phone rings soon

cathy

NikNak
11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Please dont worry. Believe me things will change and you wont know what has hit you!

I was in similiar situation when I first started minding and had no income for a month. I was just begining to panick when the phone started ringing and I have been extremely busy ever since. I truly believed I would never get any mindees!

I couldn't believe it would all work out and that I could make enough money compared to my old job as a Teaching Assistant. I earn nearly twice as much now!

It's hard work though mind you. My husband says he goes to work for a rest after spending the day at home with us lot! :laughing:

Niknak.x

Clever Clogs
14-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi there

Just thought I'd update you on my other 'prospective mum'. She seems interested - gave her my info brochure to take away etc. She doesn't know when her start date is but will phone me as soon as she does know - and only if her mIL won't watch her son - so maybe maybe not. Was about to phone the other mum to tell her I have an unexpected full time place but just so happened she phoned me then came to see me. She is going to use me just now for her driving lessons but only on demand (have explained may not always be poss). Once she has passed test etc she will be looking for a job so will keep me in mind for that.

So still waiting for phone to ring to give me some regular income. Thinking positive though!

Thanks for your support
Trace

miffy
15-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed this works out for you

miffy xx

Rubybubbles
15-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi there

Just thought I'd update you on my other 'prospective mum'. She seems interested - gave her my info brochure to take away etc. She doesn't know when her start date is but will phone me as soon as she does know - and only if her mIL won't watch her son - so maybe maybe not. Was about to phone the other mum to tell her I have an unexpected full time place but just so happened she phoned me then came to see me. She is going to use me just now for her driving lessons but only on demand (have explained may not always be poss). Once she has passed test etc she will be looking for a job so will keep me in mind for that.

So still waiting for phone to ring to give me some regular income. Thinking positive though!

Thanks for your support
Trace

thinking positive for you hunxx

samgeordie
15-04-2008, 04:19 PM
sorry to hear you have been let down, im hoping things become better for you very soon and you get a great full timer

Monkey1
15-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Keep positive hun, things will look up soon x

deeb66
15-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Keep positive hun, things will look up soon x

I agree

I am sure that everything will fall into place for you soon

Keep your chin up!