PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian childminder

Trpta108
28-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I am in the process of registering (Ofsted is coming Tuesday), am a vegetarian and only planning on serving vegetarian food. Wondering if there are any other vegetarian childminders out there, and what your experince might be with parents when you tell them.

Louise B
28-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi Trine, I'm vegetarian too, but I've let my kids choose once they're old enough to understand where meat comes from, and now all 3 of them eat meat. My youngest is nearly 2, and we haven't waited with her, because we went on holiday in June and the food was so bad, there was hardly anything for vegetarians and I couldn't see her starving every night, so she started eating meat and loves it.

I do serve meat to the children I mind, but as I do it for my own, it's not too much of a problem. I must admit though, I gag when I cook mince, the smell is revolting!! And I don't do things that would need lots of handling of raw meat. I do fish fingers, shepherds pie, sausages. I also do lots of Quorn dishes and serve to the meat-eating children, most of them like it.

I think if I wanted my children to eat meat, but the childminder didn't eat it, if it's just one meal a day, or only a couple of days a week, they're not missing out on much meat, so shouldn't be a problem? See what Ofsted say, but I'm sure they come across different religions that have beliefs about certain meats, so can't see why this would be any different. Let us know what they say.

xxx

Trpta108
28-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I am vegetarian for religious and moral reasons, so would think Ofsted will understand but not sure if parents will.

Louise B
28-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure and only a meat-eating parent could comment on how they'd feel... hopefully one will help you out. I don't think I would mind, as long as the child was getting a balanced and healthy variety of food, and I'd serve meat at the mealtimes when the child/ren were home with me. I'm sure some parents will be fine with it. Why not advertise as a vegetarian minder, see what response you get?xxxx

jane5
28-10-2010, 11:55 PM
I would be fine with my dd not eating meat with a cm as long as the food was healthy and plenty of veg etc..

She would eat meat at home so I dont think its a problem plus I think vegetarian parents would like it.

~Grasshopper~
29-10-2010, 10:55 AM
hiya.

as a meat eating mum of 2, i would have no problem with my kids not having meat at a childminders. I dont always serve meat with every meal anyway and if its healthy and tasty im sure the children wont mind.

In fact it could well be a bonus for vegetarian parents.

x

Tazlinacat
29-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm a vegetarian, but am happy to heat up food containing meat supplied by a parent if they prefer to do that. Though fish pie baby food was sent in once and my daughter had to go eat in the other room while i fed the mindee, as the smell made her feel sick. lol
The mindee i have at the moment is vegetarian, so her parents were really happy to find me, i have a parent coming to meet me next week who doesn't eat pork for religious reasons, and is happy that i serve vegetarian food as it saves the hassle of her daughters working out what does and doesn't have pork in. Though any other childminder would serve pork free food anyway.

So after that waffle, being a vegetarian childminding household hasn't caused any problems but been an advantage

gigglinggoblin
29-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I am vegetarian and I only provide veggie food (I do fish sometimes). I have said I am happy to reheat and serve meat if sent by parents but wont do stuff like sausages from raw as I am scared of poisoning someone! I dont charge extra for meals if the child is here for 4 or more hours, no one has yet sent food with their child. The parents have the choice that way.

My own kids have the choice when they get to the right age but I still wont cook it at home. However they can choose it for school dinners or if we go to a restaurant. 2 eat it, 1 doesnt.

FussyElmo
29-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I suppose it depends on whether or not the child is having a cooked meal with you or not.

As a meat eater I would respect a vegetarain family and either serve the food they sent in or provide the veggie option.

So I would expect a vegetarian family to respect my views :thumbsup:

Trpta108
29-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I cannot serve meat for religious reasons. I have raised my own 5 children vegetarian and have said they can choose when they are older, but the older 3 all say they will never eat meat (the of youngest 2 are too young to tell). I serve a balanced and varied diet with plenty veg, lentils, beans, seeds ect. and all my children are perfectly healthy. I will just have to hope parents will understand, or even better appreciate it.

sarah707
29-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I am expected by Ofsted to offer an inclusive menu to all children.

I must take account of their dietary needs, likes and dislikes and parents wishes.

This is how it must be, regardless of my own religion, culture or food preferences.

I think it is very important to be prepared to compromise. For example, at the moment I have a number of menus including...

one menu for me and 1 of my children

one menu for a vegan child

another menu for a child with multiple allergies

another menu for a child who chooses not to eat certain fruit and vegetables

another menu for my daughter who is the fussiest eater in the world

I am prepared to cook vegetarian and vegan meals and meet any other dietary requirements because that is my job. :D

curlycathy
29-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm vegetarian and it has never been a problem with any of my parents. I'm quite open about the fact that I daren't try and cook meat in case I poison anyone! I can just about manage fishfingers and dh got some frozen chicken things I could just put in the oven (probably over cooked cos scared of under cooking!!)

Mostly though I just use quorn in place of meat. Have managed to make the odd ham sandwich by holding it very gingerly and not looking!!!

Don't stress it, really don't think anyone would bother too much as long as you are providing healthy food.

Hth x

funemnx
29-10-2010, 07:06 PM
My Daughter-in-law is a vegetarian and gave up childminding when little'un was on the way. She never had a problem with the parents - they were happy to let her feed them whatever she'd prepared :)

Chell
29-10-2010, 07:23 PM
We're a veggie household. Meals are included in my fees. Parents have the choice of their child eating the homecooked veggie meals that I prepare or sending food themselves.

I've only been minding since March but I have provided food for the five children that I have looked after. Most parents do ask what we eat and I have a sample menu to show them. So far, to my knowledge nobody has had a problem with this.

Trpta108
29-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I am expected by Ofsted to offer an inclusive menu to all children.

I must take account of their dietary needs, likes and dislikes and parents wishes.

This is how it must be, regardless of my own religion, culture or food preferences.

I think it is very important to be prepared to compromise. For example, at the moment I have a number of menus including...

one menu for me and 1 of my children

one menu for a vegan child

another menu for a child with multiple allergies

another menu for a child who chooses not to eat certain fruit and vegetables

another menu for my daughter who is the fussiest eater in the world

I am prepared to cook vegetarian and vegan meals and meet any other dietary requirements because that is my job. :D

I guess you are not religious, since you dont understand there is things one will not do if they have faith in their religion. I would not have a problem ommitting foods from a childs diet if the parent wished so, but as I said, I cannot because of my beliefs serve meat. I do respect that other people choose to serve and eat meat, but I suppose I will have to say I would also expect the parents to respect my choice not to. Would you expect a muslim to serve pork? I would imagine there are muslims who wouldnt be happy doing that.

gigglinggoblin
29-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I guess you are not religious, since you dont understand there is things one will not do if they have faith in their religion. I would not have a problem ommitting foods from a childs diet if the parent wished so, but as I said, I cannot because of my beliefs serve meat. I do respect that other people choose to serve and eat meat, but I suppose I will have to say I would also expect the parents to respect my choice not to. Would you expect a muslim to serve pork? I would imagine there are muslims who wouldnt be happy doing that.

I think the problem you may encounter is that you could be seen as discriminating against the child if you refused to go along with their parents beliefs and wishes because you are putting your own first. What will you do if a child comes who has other beliefs that clash with yours?

As those of us who have posted have never had a problem I would be tempted to try not to make an issue out of it when ofsted come and if it ever crops up with a parent see if you can accomodate them at the time. Creating a problem now probably wont help much. Would you be willing to give a chid their lunch box if it had meat in? What would you do if a child would only eat ham sandwiches and the parent insisted on sending them? You dont have to know exactly what you will do in every situation as you cant guess what may come up but its a good idea have have a think about potential problems. My way around this is that parents can send it and I will put it out without having to do any preparation.

Chell
29-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I think the problem you may encounter is that you could be seen as discriminating against the child if you refused to go along with their parents beliefs and wishes because you are putting your own first. What will you do if a child comes who has other beliefs that clash with yours?

As those of us who have posted have never had a problem I would be tempted to try not to make an issue out of it when ofsted come and if it ever crops up with a parent see if you can accomodate them at the time. Creating a problem now probably wont help much. Would you be willing to give a chid their lunch box if it had meat in? What would you do if a child would only eat ham sandwiches and the parent insisted on sending them? You dont have to know exactly what you will do in every situation as you cant guess what may come up but its a good idea have have a think about potential problems. My way around this is that parents can send it and I will put it out without having to do any preparation.

This is what the OFSTED inspector asked me during my recent inspection. She asked about our meals so I explained we are veggie and she questioned what meals I offer. She asked if I was happy for parents to send a lunch containing meat, I am fine with this.

As I said above, I've not encountered any problems. I think I am one of the few minders in this area offering meals. For working parents it is one less thing for them to worry about.

Trpta108
29-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I think I will ring Ofsted Monday and ask. I dont want to be in the situation where I have to go against my beliefs. Maybe this is not a job for someone with strong religious beliefs. Wish I had this conversation earlier in the process as I am nearly there now.

gigglinggoblin
29-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Have a look through your EYFS guide for inclusive practice. There is also a thread on here you could search for by christian child minder who was concerned about minding and being able to practice her beliefs at the same time, there might be some relevant advice on there.

You have to be willing to welcome children with beliefs that are different to your own and teach acceptance of others religions and cultures. If you are unwilling to do that you are likely to have a problem with ofsted. If you can do that then you will be fine, I guess only you know if that is something you are able and willing to do. Food might be the biggest problem in which case it might be easily overcome, if its the tip of the iceberg you may need to have a think about things before your visit. You can ask ofsted questions when they are with you, the inspectors I have met have all been lovely.

sarah707
29-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I guess you are not religious, since you dont understand there is things one will not do if they have faith in their religion.

With respect, I have very strong religious beliefs.

However I also have a job which requires me by law to be inclusive.

:D

Trpta108
29-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Seems I am being misunderstood. I do most surdenly not have a problem with other religions and beliefs, I just want to have the right to practice my own. If childminding means I have to go against my own beliefs, then it is not for me. Shame though, children really is my passion.

PixiePetal
29-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I can't see a problem in serving only vegetarian food. If it was explained to parents when they visited, it is their choice to have it or maybe go elsewhere. Respect for religious beliefs goes both ways. You may find parents with the same beliefs who will find you are just who they need.

We can all try but can't do everything that every parent wishes - there is usually a happy compromise. :)

Vegetarian food can be as nutritious and varied I am happy to supply it if needed - I am very much a meat eater myself though :)

Trpta108
29-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Thankyou PixiePetal, just hope Ofsted see it the same way.

sweets
30-10-2010, 08:08 AM
i think there is a big difference in a meat eating family that provides veggie food and and veggie family having to supply meat.
Meat eaters do not have to have meat to make a meal, but veggies definately cant have it! 'im not explaining my thinking very well really':blush: :laughing:

As for 'the law of being inclusive' then im sorry but who on earth is going to enforce or fine someone for not providing meat if it goes against thier beliefs!

you are a veggie family and should remain that way. Parents will have a choice in wether to send their children to you in the same way a parent will have a choice to send their children to a minder who has a dog (which is something i would never do) its a choice!

The child that only eats 'ham sandwiches' will have to be told sorry but they cant have them at your house and will have to eat something else. i think we pander to fussy eaters too much and sometimes children just have to be told NO! That makes me sound really hard! i would make a child eat something they dont like but persuasion is sometimes neccessary.

its up to you if you mention it to ofsted, personally i wouldnt as its none of their business, if they see it in your parent pack then i doubt they will even comment. but if they do comment on it then just ask them if a muslim family would be made to serve pork!!

i do eat meat now but was veggie for years and wish i still was really but i got a bit fed up of eating the same meals as i wasnt very inventive! and im not a huge veg fan :blush:

Trpta108
30-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Thankyou! I feel so much better now. Good idea to put it in the parent pack.

haribo
30-10-2010, 10:57 AM
trine , dont worry about ofsted . i am vegetarian but always offered to serve meat if parents supplied it. i didnt really want to do this but thought i had to , luckily no parents wanted it :thumbsup: at my last inspection the inspector asked why i offer meat if its against my beliefs .. she said the last nursery she inspected is totally vegetarian and got outstanding :clapping: and this was under eyfs btw . :thumbsup:

Mouse
30-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I think you can offer a very varied, healthy diet as a vegetarian, without the need for meat. Healthy eating is about supplying the main food groups in the right proportions, not about making sure you include certain foods.

I don't know of any religions or health issues that say you HAVE to have meat, so you're not denying a necessity or preventing a child from following its family's beliefs.

If you went into a vegetarian restaurant you wouldn't expect to be served meat, then moan about them not being inclusive when you weren't!

As long as families are aware that you will be serving vegetarian food, then there is no problem as long as you can demonstrate that the children will still be served a healthy, balanced diet. If they know from the beginning, they can't complain about it at a later date.

And if a family comes to see you & they do decide it's a problem, you would just tell them that you are sorry, you won't be able to care for their child as you are not in aposition to meet their needs.

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 12:06 PM

it is a requirement in law to be inclusive and yes if a Muslim minder refused to serve pork to a child that requires a balanced diet including meat as part of their culture then yes I would expect them to serve it. minders without any particular beliefs are expected to meet the varied needs of children and families, so should minders with specific beliefs be expected to meet varied needs and not disctiminate. I think your reply to sarah was quite rude tbh!!

jen x

Mouse
30-10-2010, 12:11 PM
it is a requirement in law to be inclusive and yes if a Muslim minder refused to serve pork to a child that requires a balanced diet including meat as part of their culture then yes I would expect them to serve it. minders without any particular beliefs are expected to meet the varied needs of children and families, so should minders with specific beliefs be expected to meet varied needs and not disctiminate. I think your reply to sarah was quite rude tbh!!

jen x

But are there any cultures where meat HAS to be eaten?

Trpta108
30-10-2010, 12:23 PM

jen x

I am very sorry If that came across as rude, that was surdenly not the intention. Many apoligies!
I cant help feeling it as discrimination though, if I have to compromise my religion to work as a childminder. And the same for a muslim to have to serve pork.

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 12:25 PM
But are there any cultures where meat HAS to be eaten?

I think that there are some yes...... peoples descended from American Indian heritage have certain religious rites that include the heart and liver of animals but even if no.... why should there have to be?? And where do you stop? Do you refuse to administer medicines that may contain animal products, or refuse to allow the children to wear leather shoes when attending your settings?

Jen x

Mouse
30-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I am very sorry If that came across as rude, that was surdenly not the intention. Many apoligies!
I cant help feeling it as discrimination though, if I have to compromise my religion to work as a childminder. And the same for a muslim to have to serve pork.

I don't believe for one minute that Ofsted would expect a Muslim childminder serve pork. They can provide a perfectly balanced diet without it.

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 12:28 PM

I think it is tricky really..... with childminding there is flexibility to choose one minder over another so if parents really want their child to eat meat then they can choose a minder who is happy to serve it. I just don't agree with all the comments about it not mattering if children who normally eat meat aren't ever served it.... culture is about more than religious requirements and I think that those people should be respected just as much as people with specific requirements and not spoken about as if they don't matter!!

Jen x

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't believe for one minute that Ofsted would expect a Muslim childminder serve pork. They can provide a perfectly balanced diet without it.

But if that child's normal diet contains meat then it contains meat and it shouldn't be an assumption that it's ok to switch meals around to suit the minder.... as I've said in another post parents are free to choose where they send their child so to a certain extent this conversation is irrelevant as we can all make up our own rules for our own businesses but discrimination is discrimination whoever it is applied to and as there are laws that apply, people have to be very careful.
jen x

Trpta108
30-10-2010, 12:32 PM
trine , dont worry about ofsted . i am vegetarian but always offered to serve meat if parents supplied it. i didnt really want to do this but thought i had to , luckily no parents wanted it :thumbsup: at my last inspection the inspector asked why i offer meat if its against my beliefs .. she said the last nursery she inspected is totally vegetarian and got outstanding :clapping: and this was under eyfs btw . :thumbsup:

Made my day:laughing: , there is hope.

Mouse
30-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I think that there are some yes...... peoples descended from American Indian heritage have certain religious rites that include the heart and liver of animals but even if no.... why should there have to be?? And where do you stop? Do you refuse to administer medicines that may contain animal products, or refuse to allow the children to wear leather shoes when attending your settings?

Jen x

So are you saying that if a child came to us from American Indian descent where it was part of their culture to they eat the heart & liver of the animals, then we would have to do that in order to be inclusive :eek: :eek:

But that isn't the debate here anyway. The debate is, should a vegetarian cm have to serve meat. In my opinion the answer is no.

I have a cm friend who refuses to celebrate Halloween as it is against her religious beliefs. Are you saying she is at fault for not allowing any reference to it in her house? Should she be doing Halloween acticities with the mindees as some of their parents love it?

She is very clear from the outset that she will not celebrate it and parents accept this. I see this as being no different to a cm not providing meat because of her beliefs.

As regard to medicine, the cm has made no mention of being vegan and avoiding animal products completely.

Mouse
30-10-2010, 12:41 PM
But if that child's normal diet contains meat then it contains meat and it shouldn't be an assumption that it's ok to switch meals around to suit the minder.... as I've said in another post parents are free to choose where they send their child so to a certain extent this conversation is irrelevant as we can all make up our own rules for our own businesses but discrimination is discrimination whoever it is applied to and as there are laws that apply, people have to be very careful.
jen x

I don't think a vegetarian not serving meat would be seen as discrimination :rolleyes:

Trpta108
30-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Jen x

Good point! No I would not refuse to administer medicines containing animal products as it would be for health reasons, nor leather shoes as it is ofcourse the parent who buy the shoes and their choice, as it is their choice what they feed their children.

Mouse
30-10-2010, 12:44 PM
jen x

What if a child normally eats junk food for every single meal at home. Are we not allowed to assume it is OK to switch meals round to suit the cm? Would we have to carry on providing junk food no matter what our thoughts on it?

haribo
30-10-2010, 01:12 PM
i find it incredible that it could be seen as discrimination if we refuse to serve meat to a child who normally eats meat . anyway this is surely someting that would be discussed and agreed at the contract signing stage so it wouldnt even be an issue . its like saying we should serve mcdonalds if a child normally eats it . im not going to serve up something that has been tortured , beaten then killed in horrific despicable circumstances just to be `inclusive`. :rolleyes: just thought of something else - my food premises inspector wa sdelighted with the fact i kept a vegetarian kitchen as it does away with many potential issues and she said she had never had a food poisoning case from a veggie caterer :thumbsup:

Trpta108
30-10-2010, 02:42 PM
i find it incredible that it could be seen as discrimination if we refuse to serve meat to a child who normally eats meat . anyway this is surely someting that would be discussed and agreed at the contract signing stage so it wouldnt even be an issue . its like saying we should serve mcdonalds if a child normally eats it . im not going to serve up something that has been tortured , beaten then killed in horrific despicable circumstances just to be `inclusive`. :rolleyes: just thought of something else - my food premises inspector wa sdelighted with the fact i kept a vegetarian kitchen as it does away with many potential issues and she said she had never had a food poisoning case from a veggie caterer :thumbsup:

Do you think I should put it in the contract, that I only serve vegetarian meals?

haribo
30-10-2010, 03:15 PM
i never have , but i discuss it in depth before we sign contracts . i do have a healthy eating policy that states i only serve vegetarian food , but only in passing, ie i havent got a specific policy about this . never been a problem :thumbsup: i would hate to think someone may be browbeaten into thinking they have to serve meat when thats nonsense x

gigglinggoblin
30-10-2010, 04:39 PM
she said she had never had a food poisoning case from a veggie caterer :thumbsup:

dont be too sure of yourself, when I did microbiology at uni my professor told us one of the big food scares started with potatoes being used for a vegetarian meal (cant remember which, should have listened better!)

Yes, I think if you feel so strongly you are unable to even put out food provided by parents it needs to be in the contract somehow. I think you need to be very clear but that it might be better in a policy as this would be quite a lot to put in a contract, just be sure to get them to sign that they agree with your policies. The things I would be worried about - if you have a child attending yor setting for a year who then becomes picky and parents want to send a lunch box in what will you do if it contains meat? What if it contains a non vegetarian jelly or sweets? Will you just not serve it so the child is hungry? Or will you replace it with food the parents have said they dont want their child having or the child will not eat so they are still hungry? Or will you replace it with something they will eat which is likely to be less healthy? Will you charge for the replacement food or provide it free of charge? Dont feel you have to answer, this is what I would use to think about when writing my policy as these are the potential problems I can see. Goodness knows I hate being picked at by meat eaters for being a veggie so really dont want you to feel that I am doing so, I grew out of the arguing back stage by the time I was 16 unfortunately too many people are dying to tell me why they dont agree with my view and it does get a bit old. I wouldnt use the argument that leather shoes are ok because its the parents choice - so are packed lunches ad you are not ok with them!

jumpinjen
30-10-2010, 04:49 PM
So are you saying that if a child came to us from American Indian descent where it was part of their culture to they eat the heart & liver of the animals, then we would have to do that in order to be inclusive :eek: :eek:

But that isn't the debate here anyway. The debate is, should a vegetarian cm have to serve meat. In my opinion the answer is no.

I have a cm friend who refuses to celebrate Halloween as it is against her religious beliefs. Are you saying she is at fault for not allowing any reference to it in her house? Should she be doing Halloween acticities with the mindees as some of their parents love it?

She is very clear from the outset that she will not celebrate it and parents accept this. I see this as being no different to a cm not providing meat because of her beliefs.

As regard to medicine, the cm has made no mention of being vegan and avoiding animal products completely.

No I wasn't saying that you should serve heart and liver..... my point was that there are actually cultures and religions that have meat as part of the 'requirements' in response to an earlier comment about there being no religions that actually had meat as part of them, so that was what I was making a point about.

As for the comment about 'the cm never mentioned being vegan so why am i mentioning medicines?'.... the discussion had moved beyond the particular cm in question to wider issues and I was asking where people would draw the line?

there was another point made about of course leather shoes wouldn't be disallowed because that's what the parent's bought for the child...... but if the parents put meat in the sandwiches that wasn't Ok? Double standards?

Finally there was a remark somewhere about feeding the child junk food if the parents did that at home.... I don't think that is a valid argument as if a minder is arguing that they don't want to feed meat for their own preferences, then they are talking about their needs, not necessarily the child's needs and to me it is obvious that a junk food diet doesn't meet the child's needs.

I notice that only my comments that could be riled against have been replied to so just to repeat myself........ it is up to individual cm's how they run their business and it is up to parents to send their child there or not so this argument is irrelevant really.

It is also allowable for anyone on this forum to express their opinion in a polite way....... as I have done, although it seems to have made some people very cross.

In the spirit of this I will be making no further comment on this thread!

each to their own beliefs and best wishes to all!

jenni x

Mouse
30-10-2010, 05:06 PM
It is also allowable for anyone on this forum to express their opinion in a polite way....... as I have done, although it seems to have made some people very cross.

In the spirit of this I will be making no further comment on this thread!

each to their own beliefs and best wishes to all!

jenni x

Aw, don't worry Jen, you haven't made me cross, I enjoy a good debate & think it's healthy that we all have our own views & aren't afraid to say what we think.

As you say, every cm has the choice to run their business as they see fit & every parents has the choice of sending their child to that cm or not.

I think as long as we don't get too hung up on what constitutes "inclusion" and "discrimination" we'll all do just fine :thumbsup:

IndigoMoon
30-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Reading through this with interest.

I was a vegetarian when I was registered. My pre reg inspector said I *had* to be prepared to serve the children meat if that's what the parents wanted.

Maybe they're a little more enlightened now...

haribo
30-10-2010, 05:12 PM

I was a vegetarian when I was registered. My pre reg inspector said I *had* to be prepared to serve the children meat if that's what the parents wanted.

mine certainly was ! if its my moral beliefs versus (so called) `inclusion` i know what would win , however ive been minding a long time and use common sense , something thats served me well , i really feel for new minders faced with these rules and regs which arent even clear cut . :(

manjay
30-10-2010, 05:15 PM

and I guess that is why you will never get a right or wrong on this question because as usual each individual inspector will have their own opinion:rolleyes:

sweets
30-10-2010, 05:19 PM
We worry to much about what Ofsted want!

its our businesses, personally if was still a veggie and refused to serve meat i wouldnt care one little bit if ofsted put it on my report! even of they wrote it as a negative.

most parents wouldnt see it as a negative but just as something they have to think about it when deciding where to place their child.

haribo
30-10-2010, 05:42 PM

its our businesses, personally if was still a veggie and refused to serve meat i wouldnt care one little bit if ofsted put it on my report! even of they wrote it as a negative.

most parents wouldnt see it as a negative but just as something they have to think about it when deciding where to place their child.

spot on sweets :thumbsup:

Trpta108
30-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Thankyou to everybody who have replied. I have learnt a lot from this thread. That I should be able to childmind without compromising my religion, but that I have to think carefully where I will draw the line (if thats the right way to put it). Thanks again!

IndigoMoon
31-10-2010, 08:13 AM

I totally agree (now).

I was just to naive, and too scared to say no to the inspector. She was very nice so I don't want to be disrespectful to her in any way,but I did get the impression that if I didn't agree I wouldn't be registered. Perhaps that was just down to my own nervousness and naivety.

I actually wish that I hadn't said anything to the inspector about it at all as the first few parents I had were fine about me only serving vegetarian food.

flora
31-10-2010, 01:02 PM
If I knnew from the outset that a minder was veggie and therefore would only serve veggie food then I suppose it would beup to me whether I put my lo there or not.

If on the other hand I was dictated to as to what I could send in in a pcak lunch, then I am not sure I wouuld appreciate their beliefs encroaching on to mine.

At the end of the day as with all issue that sem to crop up here.... it's your business and you can (within all the rule and regs) run it how you see fit :thumbsup: