PDA

View Full Version : word count advice please

nannymcflea
28-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know if things like (Appendix 1) or (Wing 2002 p5) are counted in the final word count?

It's a fd at normal uni. I know that quotes are now included but don't know about referencing within the essay.

I have emailed the tutor but if she doesn't get back to me I won't know until next Tuesday.

I have a word count of 1500 (+ 10 %) and with references included its gone to 1690.

not counting the refs might just do it.(I hope)

Thank you. hope that makes sense.

manjay
28-10-2010, 03:21 PM
I always count them tbh. It's too much of a pain not to:D

nannymcflea
28-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I always count them tbh. It's too much of a pain not to:D

I have and thats taken me over the limit.:panic:

miffy
28-10-2010, 03:45 PM
You're not far over - could you take a couple of quotes out?

Miffy xx

The Juggler
28-10-2010, 04:08 PM
I have and thats taken me over the limit.:panic:

i always took mine out - I had to (I have verbal diarrhea on paper:laughing: :laughing: ) I used to take out my quotes too in years 1 and 2 but they were counted in my third year. I always took out bracketed referencing - in my dissertation this accounted for 4,000 of my wordcount and in my 3,000 words essays was often 600+.

I used to do a copy of the document and save it then delete everything not in brackets then wordcount it. Then take that wordcount of the original. WE did not have to count titles or contents pages either hon:D

nannymcflea
28-10-2010, 04:40 PM
i always took mine out - I had to (I have verbal diarrhea on paper:laughing: :laughing: ) I used to take out my quotes too in years 1 and 2 but they were counted in my third year. I always took out bracketed referencing - in my dissertation this accounted for 4,000 of my wordcount and in my 3,000 words essays was often 600+.

I used to do a copy of the document and save it then delete everything not in brackets then wordcount it. Then take that wordcount of the original. WE did not have to count titles or contents pages either hon:D

Juggler, thanks. I hope that right. Quotes count now, we have been told.:(

I never thought 1500 would be not enough!

Miffy, it's a bit sparce on quotes in places so I need to leave them in.;)

This learning milarkey really takes it toll on your brain.:D

thanks girls xx