PDA

View Full Version : What household appliance do you go through the quickest?

singlewiththree
28-10-2010, 07:28 AM
yesterday I had to buy ANOTHER hoover, I seem to break them so quickly, I also need another telephone, I don't know what I do to them but the seem to break so quickly. My ex-MIL used to break microwaves in the same way.

Is there a household appliance that you go through more than you should?

Happy Bunny
28-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm on my 3rd hoover this year, finally spent a fortune buying a industrial one as the cheap ones never last long lol.

ajs
28-10-2010, 07:44 AM
vacuums for me too although mine were more due to the fact that they would fall down my concrete cellar stairs then i wore them out

now i have a dyson and i don't keep it on the top of the stairs i keep it in the hall
it's lasted ages

Mollymop
28-10-2010, 07:44 AM
vacum cleaners or washing machines - touch wood I have been lucky with my w/machine had it since 2007 and still working fine. I bought a Bosch and they are supposed to be one of the best makes so that's good as I used to get through a w/machine once a year almost:eek:

DAWN44
28-10-2010, 07:48 AM
hoovers, have lost count how many I have had.
Kettles too, Unfortunately never the iron.

mama2three
28-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Thought it was just me who killed hoovers! Ive always put it down to long hair getting caught up in it.

Polly2
28-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Kettles! I think I drink too much tea!! My iron I have had for years!!! What does that tell me??? :rolleyes:

mrs_scottydog
28-10-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree with Polly. Kettles are a nightmare in this house. Bought a new one in January as our old one blew up. As this one has leaked for many months we need to get a new one, just need to decide which one to break next! As for my iron, I had that for about 10 years, still looks like new! Oh dear Hx

mummyof3
28-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Washing machines!!

I've had my dyson for 7yrs :eek: I'm amazed it still works!

Mouse
28-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Washing machine & tumble dryer. I think I'm doing well if I get 2 years out of each!
On average I probably do 4 loads of washing a day - more at weekends when the bed sheets get done. And I dry it nearly all in the dryer, so that takes a lot of hammer too.

green puppy
28-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Kettles here! As for hoovers, we have had a Henry for 6 years and never a problem.:)

Blaze
28-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Hoovers/Irons/Washing Machine's/Tumble Dryers!:rolleyes:

Playmate
28-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Irons, I don't know what Mick does with the :rolleyes:

It used to be hoovers before I got Henry :D

rickysmiths
28-10-2010, 01:27 PM
We must have been lucky.

Have had the Bosch washing machine for 5yrs only do 4-5 loads a week incl all mindees towels sheets and blankets. We must be dirty compared to some -4 loads a day? How do you find time to childmind Mouse? :panic:

Dyson for 7yrs and it has taken a battering in the last couple of months cleaning up after the builders.

Never had a dryer, good old fashioned fresh air for us.

It used to be toasters, until we moved 6 years ago when I lashed out and bought a 4 slice Dualit industrial strength! Still going strong after 6 years. :thumbsup:

Kettles were the other thing, nearly one a year. Solved that one though in the new kitchen we don't have a kettle anymore. We have a Quooker Hot Tap by the kitchen sink. Instant hot water when needed fantastic and well worth the investment. Hoping it will last for years.

Irons we do ok, had the current one for 5 years.

snufflepuff
28-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Microwaves. We are on our 3rd microwave since Jamie was born- he's only 20 months old. I suppose you could say it's our 4th, we swapped microwaves with my Mum because ours was too small for the steriliser. That blew up, we replaced it, and the replacement one blew up a few months ago. We now have a morphy richards, worth £80 but we got it half price. Not that I think that means it will last any longer, lol!
The one we gave to my Mum just before J was born is still going strong!

Daisy1956
28-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Washing machines although i now have a Bosch which has lasted over five years a record for me.

Carol M
28-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Dishwasher and microwave.
We only have space for a slimline and it's on two or three times a day so doesn't live very long!
Use my combi microwave oven lots too.
Dyson still going strong after 4 yrs.
Carol xx

IndigoMoon
28-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Washers! But i think it's because i buy cheap ones because i think they are going to break

mamasheshe
28-10-2010, 05:51 PM
washing machines but i overload!

PixiePetal
28-10-2010, 06:01 PM
hoovers - mine is dead now and under a year old but can't find the receipt :angry:

DH said he is getting a Henry and that's that - I want a dyson but can't stretch to it right now :(

Microwaves last forever :laughing: My white one has turned a bit yellowish in the sun :rolleyes: only the second since moving in with DH in 1989 :thumbsup:

Washing machines - we had one which kept going wrong, was glad to see the back of it!:thumbsup: new one doing ok so far - that's probably me tempting fate saying that!!

maisiemog
28-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Hoovers here. think its the cat hairs!

Also microwaves, we're on our 3rd since we got married 5 yrs ago and thats starting to die now!!!

Our tumble dryer died and we need to get a new one but thats gonna have to wait til we get christmas out of the way!

Gizmo
28-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Washing Machines have had this one for nearly 2 years and think its about to go Quick Wash used to take 1 hr 15 min now its went up to 1 45 and I havent changed a thing :huh: :huh: and the hoover is about to go too not picking up well

and im not putting either of them on my Christmas list :laughing: :laughing:

jelly15
28-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I am lucky it is only kettles and irons I seem to go through quickly. I have had only two each of washing machines (13 football kits a week), tumble dryers, micro waves and freezers and three vacum cleaners in 21 years. The only reason I have had two dishwashers and fridges is because they were built in and we moved house.

Out of the kitchen though I have gone through so many TVs I have lost count.

LOOPYLISA
28-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Irons ! We have had 3 this year , I keep dropping them !

Our dyson has lasted years :-)

Andrea08
28-10-2010, 11:21 PM
well use to be my irons but dont do it any more lol

so because of a house full of pets n kids it has to be my hoover hence investing in a Dyson "Animal" roller ball....and it saves my back too x

The Juggler
29-10-2010, 07:00 AM
well I was thinking ours last ages but our microwave needs replacing and that's the second one in 8 years - I thought they all laste dabout 10 years!

kindredspirits
29-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Umm....Convection Microwaves we got through about 3 in 2 years - then gave up and stopped using a microwave - its like a revelation! :thumbsup:
The other thing is kettles - I always by cheap ones and they die within a year or so.

We've got a Vax hoover with a 5 year guarantee so i'm pleased to say after 1 repair its proving its worth - only paid about £80 for it to begin with so it been well worth it.

MrsJ
29-10-2010, 04:37 PM
irons and toasters in my house!

babs
29-10-2010, 09:10 PM
straightners :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: