PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of writing my own contract

tiger79
27-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Already ran out of contract forms and child record forms, decided I best order some more from NCMA and can't believe the price of them especially as you only get a few!!

Thinking of writing my own, mixing up the wording of NCMA and MM contracts. Obviously the proper contracts are in triplicate so will a photocopy of the original be okay to pass to the parents, whilt I keep the original copy.

Do you need to get a legal professional to look over a self-written contract?

Does anyone have any words of advice? :idea:

tulip0803
27-10-2010, 10:20 PM
If you are a member of the NCMA you need to use NCMA contracts to be able to use their legal department in the event of a non-paying parent, they will offer advice though they will not represent you. If you are a MM member you can use your own contract providing it is "correctly legally worded".

Penny1959
28-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Whilst it is ok to write own contract (and I do) - you do need to carefully consider the support you may or may not get if have to take parents to court for non payment.

The reason I write my own contracts is the ones from NCMA and MM do not meet my needs (have shift workers) and I was ending up crossing lots of bits out and adding bits - I thought that looked very unprofessional.

I actually do my on computer and print two copies - and parents and I sign both copies so that both copies are readable and have clear signatures.

I decided that as I am paid in advance - the worse that may happen is the parents may just not send their child the following month (and therefore not pay either) but at least I would not have worked for nothing or incurred expenses such as food and petrol. And for me this risk was worth the benefit of having a contract that met my needs.

Do think about your own situation - especially your strenght of character and if prepared to send parents away if try to leave child with you when they have not paid on time.

Penny :)