PDA

View Full Version : Free schools? Opinions pls if you don't mind

clio0602
27-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi I was just after some opinions on free schools.

A Prep school nr to me which closed down is now proposing to re-open as a 'free school'. It says it will be run by parents, teachers, charities or businesses and the idea originates in Sweden. They plan to open in Sep 2011 when DD is due to start nursery school.

Not sure if I should put her name down. Don't really understand it all how could it run if its not under local authority control and is 12 in a class to small??

Also another independant school has turned into a girls non fee paying 3-18yrs academy?

Cant believe I'm thinking of schools and she's only 2.5

Anyone know any more? Any advice good or bad appreciated xx

nannymcflea
27-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, you could look at free schools as an oportunity for a community to set up and run a school, free from the constraints of the LEA, employing only the best and taking in children from a varied background.

OR

you could look at free schools as being something of a middle class privilege, setting up schools so their children can be educated away from the "locals", introducing a curriculum that includes subjects that "joe public" would not be interested in (such as latin) therefore ensuring the varied community would not attend anyway.

What happens when the parents that set up no longer have a child in the school? Will they still have a vested interest in that school to ensure it continues to run as it should?

sarah707
27-10-2010, 05:09 PM
As Nanny says... plus they would need to be offering approved examinations at 16 and 18 or you might be seriously disadvantaging your child in the University / job market in the future :D

jumpinjen
27-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Both quite negative viewpoints really..... what I have read seems to indicate that all the 16 that have gone through for consulation to open next year have been selected because they plug a gap in the school system where there is a lack of school places. I would consider 12 in a class as fantastic, not too small.... there will be more teacher input for each child with that number. Not having to follow the national curriculum frees schools from having to provide sex and drugs education to 6 year olds for example, as well as 'citizenship' and all number of other bits and bobs that are currently compulsory and put teachers under incredible pressure to have children sitting at desks rather than involved in active learning. It allows schools to respond to the growing body of research that says 'too much too young' or to follow an alternative but valid method of education such as Montessori without also having to squash it to fit the NC. As far as schools being selective is concerned, they will still have to adhere to the law as far as equal opportunities is concerned so will not be able to discriminate against sections of the community. I think it is interesting and worth looking more into! Hope that balances things out for you a little?

jen x

clio0602
27-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks. I've got her name down for both now but the academy intake is random allocation for remaining places after siblings are taken on, and, if there isn't enough interest for the free school it may not go ahead anyway.

I'd love her to go to a Montessori school but there are none around here and I'm convinced my ds would be much further ahead and enjoy school more if there had been.

Hmmm I hate making these decision :panic: