PDA

View Full Version : First Enquiry!! Help

LilyBelles
25-10-2010, 08:42 PM
After posting nearly 400 business cards through letterbox's the last few days i got a call today :) a 1 year old boy 7.30am - 17.30pm, 5 days a week term time only and his 6 year old sister before and after school.

Im so excited mum is coming for a chat tomorrow at 6pm. I have said £3.50ph but have said we could discuss a discount for the siblings, but dont no what discount to offer weather it be 20% off £3.50ph or to only charge 1/2 for the before and after school (so £1.75ph)?

She also asked about a retainer and weather i took one as she is a teacher and only wants me term time only. i hesitated on the phone due to nerves and said we would chat about it. Is £20 a week for both children to much or not enough not sure? :o

Please help would really appreciate it

keeks
25-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Congratulations, well done!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Sorry I have no advice, am pre reg and haven't a clue. :D

xxx

glitzygal
25-10-2010, 09:02 PM
well done, i have never thought of cards in doors, good idea.

remember its your business so you have to do what suits, I charge 4.00 per hour, and i would charge the sibling either 3.00 or 3.50.

I also do term time only contract at 4.50. I make them understand that I dont charge a retainer, like other childminders per week in holidays, i explain it covers a bit. I know I proberly should charge a weekly amount, but I felt it was a lot to expect.

Have you any childminder friends in your area, they may do it differently.
good luck, hope my info has given you some ideas, I know when I talk to other minders I feel I am cutting my nose off, but if it works for you then that is what matters.:thumbsup:

jelly15
25-10-2010, 09:43 PM
My current rate is £30 a day, and £3.50 for before and after school minimum of 2 hours. If I was in your situation I would probably reduce the schoolie to £3.00. Also I would charge a retainer for the LO but not for the schoolie (you might be able to get a holiday only child to fill that space)as I would really want a child who was five days a week instead of the three and four dayers I have.

Newbie1!
25-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Hia love, I cant offer much advice cos I am totally useless understanding fees and charges - as you will see if youve ever seen any of my posts! :laughing: but didnt want to read and run and wanted to say well done you!! That sounds absolutely perfect, just what I could do with instead of all these that work wierd shifts!! Hope you come to a decision thats right for you. xx

Penny1959
26-10-2010, 04:17 AM
First well done - hope meeting goes well with parent.

I have recently taken on a similar situation under five full time term time only and older brother before school 5 days and after school 3 days.

I did offer a 10% discount on school child's place, and do not charge a retainer (this is because I am happy with the total income from this family over the year). Parent said fees was a lot to find in advance and so we agreed to average over 12 months and now the pay that averaged amount EVERY MONTH - works for me as easier to do my budgeting.

Therefore suggest you consider how much you need to earn from these two places - and then work out a fee that is payable term time only without a retainer AND a term time fee plus a retainer AND a fee that is averaged out over whole year. ALL options should add up to the amount you need to earn from these places. Then either choose the one you prefer - or if makes no difference to you - give parents the choice. I have found that for some parents it is the thought of paying a retainer that can be a issue rather than the amount paying!

Hope parent signs contract.

Penny:)

onceinabluemoon
26-10-2010, 05:54 AM
I work with a teacher too.

I charge normal hourly rate for both children - they take up 2 places and CM is my only family income. Half fees for the schoolie is far too low! You'll be out and about in all weathers walking miles to school (or not) for £1.75... You will soon get fed up with that, lol! ;) Better to do a standard rate for before and after school or just take 50p and hour off perhaps? Don't forget you'll be walking their child (or using your petrol) to and from school in rain, ice and snow as well as the nice sunny days.

WRT holiday retainers, we charge half fees to retain a place. Teachers get paid pro rata (ie they get paid for holidays at full pay) so it's not like you're asking for money when they have nothing coming in. Otherwise you could use a term time only contract and try and get someone on just for hols (not easy here but your area may be different?) but perhaps charge an enhanced rate as PP suggested. x

shelly2012
26-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Hiya Well Done you.

I hated my first visit was so nervous think I just mumbled my way throught it, infact I still get nervous at visits lol

I do not charge discount for families if I was I would only reduce it by 50p it is your business !!!! My fees are £3.75 ph & £4.50 for after school please don't charge £1.75 far too cheap. In my area we all charge extra for after school.

As for term time your could do a term time contract if you are happy with no income over the holidays or I would be doing half your weekly fee for a retainer because you are keeeping the space open for the child.

Fingers crossed xx

Mollymop
26-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Good luck with the meeting xx

LilyBelles
27-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the help its much appreciated! ! !

Well they were lovely mum, dad and both children came so was a family get together.

The children are lovely and we got on well, they have asked me to have the lil one for a few hours on Thursday to settle in and then go full time on Monday :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

So, the contract will be 7.30am - 5.30pm ish Mon-Fri for lil one and do school run for big sis.
I was gonna charge £3.50ph but came to the decision of £30 per day for the lil one and £3per hour for the schoolie and no charges for meals, they went away and emailed me later saying they want to do £40 a day for both as they may pick up early or late (no later than 6pm or earlier than 7.30am) and they want to supply me with breakfast things ie cereal etc which i thought was nice, we compromised on the retainer (i gave them the option to take it or not), they suggested they pay £20 for just the summer hols and no others which im fine with better than nothing.
Last thing they wanted to change/discuss was my notice period which is at 4 weeks on contract they said they want a week notice for the first 3 months and then it can be 4 weeks again due to building relationships and stuff does this sound ok to everyone i dont no weather it is a negative?

Sorry to go on im so excited but scared it will fall through too :blush:

Newbie1!
27-10-2010, 02:31 PM
That is absolutely fantastic sweetie, I couldnt be more pleased for you. Get that signature down now asap!!! xxx

Thanks for the help its much appreciated! ! !

Well they were lovely mum, dad and both children came so was a family get together.

The children are lovely and we got on well, they have asked me to have the lil one for a few hours on Thursday to settle in and then go full time on Monday :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

So, the contract will be 7.30am - 5.30pm ish Mon-Fri for lil one and do school run for big sis.
I was gonna charge £3.50ph but came to the decision of £30 per day for the lil one and £3per hour for the schoolie and no charges for meals, they went away and emailed me later saying they want to do £40 a day for both as they may pick up early or late (no later than 6pm or earlier than 7.30am) and they want to supply me with breakfast things ie cereal etc which i thought was nice, we compromised on the retainer (i gave them the option to take it or not), they suggested they pay £20 for just the summer hols and no others which im fine with better than nothing.
Last thing they wanted to change/discuss was my notice period which is at 4 weeks on contract they said they want a week notice for the first 3 months and then it can be 4 weeks again due to building relationships and stuff does this sound ok to everyone i dont no weather it is a negative?

Sorry to go on im so excited but scared it will fall through too :blush:

jane5
28-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Well done Lilybelles,

This sounds like the begining of a good working relationship. :clapping:

LilyBelles
30-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone so much for all your advise and help.

PixiePetal
30-10-2010, 09:43 AM
well done - if you are happy with the arrangements and money then that's all good.

You live and learn in this job and may want to change things when others start in the future - you are the Boss (no disregard to Pauline - the forum Boss!!) and we all were new once.

Hope it all goes well and you have fun :thumbsup:

keeks
30-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Well done, sounds like you will be getting on well with them. I understand the excitement, it is really exciting times!!! :clapping:

xx

singlewiththree
31-10-2010, 08:35 AM
That sound great.

Normally the NCMA and MM contracts offer a 4 week settling in period where both parties can give notice immediately and stop immediately. Does your contracts have that in? If they do then you won't need a weeks notice. It protects you as well as them.

Sara T
03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
thats brilliant! That would be my ideal situation. A little one and a schoolie.

was the enquiry purely from your business cards? I will get delivering mine!!

I had my certificate 2 weeks ago and been advertising on childcare websites, but wondering how long it was before most people usually start minding after registration?

I know its a bit 'how long is a piece of string! ' :laughing:

well done again and Im sure they will stick with you

Sara