PDA

View Full Version : question for all you bakers

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
25-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Ok im attempting to make some cup cakes for my sons 2nd birthday this sunday, to say im hopeless is an understatment.

How do i make that, creamy type icing that goes on top of the cakes, Its not the normal icing it might be "butter icing" but im not sure.

OH MY POOR SON!

mrs_scottydog
25-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi,
Butter icing is basically a combination of icing sugar and butter.
I don't make cupcakes very often, mainly big cakes so not sure exactly what quantity of icing you will need. The following amount of icing would ice the middle and top of a big cake.

160g icing sugar
80g butter (at room temperature)

In a bowl mix the icing and butter together. It'll take a few minutes by hand but will become a butter cream.

If you want chocolate icing replace about 20g of the icing sugar with cocoa.

Hope that helps. Hx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
25-10-2010, 03:46 PM
is it the same as frosting? if not whats frosting?:blush:

mrs_scottydog
25-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I have to admit that although I enjoy baking I'm not an expert so had to look up frosting on Google.
From what I can gather there isn't much difference between buttercream and frosting. I could be wrong though. Hx

FussyElmo
25-10-2010, 04:05 PM
There are loads of different topping for cupcakes.

You could just melt some chocoolate and put that on top. Young children never mind just having chocolate.

For buttercream I use 5oz of butter (softened), 10oz of icing sugar, 1'2 tbs of milk.

Beat the butter till soft add half the icing sugar and beat till smooth. Add the rest of the icing sugar and 1tbsp of milk and beat till soft and creamy. If it need it add the rest of the milk.

Remember to sift the icing sugar and you can add food colouring.

Now I say frosting is the same as icing but other people could disagree :thumbsup:

manjay
25-10-2010, 04:14 PM
I always think of frosting as Americanised!

I don't tend to measure so not much help I'm afraid. I just throw in a bowl:D

Playmate
25-10-2010, 04:56 PM
]I always think of frosting as Americanised![/I]
I don't tend to measure so not much help I'm afraid. I just throw in a bowl:D

you took the words right out of my mouth :D I always follow the instructions on the icing sugar packet if i'm really not sure. my 10 year old dd is the cupcake queen round here :D

kindredspirits
25-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Frosting has more milk/cream I believe... although you can't really taste the difference.
For buttercream follow the instructions on the back of the icing sugar pack - but make sure you sieve your icing sugar or it will end up lumpy! :thumbsup: You can add colourings or flavourings as you like with that!

sillysausage
25-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't tend to measure either, but one thing I am sure of is that I don't add as much icing sugar as recipes say (I find it too sweet). As I beat the butter/marg to fluffyness I add icing sugar gradually until it reaches my acceptable level of sweetness. I often add some melted chocolate which softens the mix up for easier (and thinner) spreading.

gigglinggoblin
25-10-2010, 07:20 PM
a splash of vanilla extract is really nice in frosting, i use butter, icing sugar and a splash of milk to get it to the right consistency. You cant really go far wrong, just add icing sugar to the butter til it tastes nice!

emmadines
26-10-2010, 10:11 AM
i made butter icing and last time it blew my mixer up lol:blush:

PixiePetal
26-10-2010, 11:18 AM
on my carrot cakes I use the cream cheese frosting :thumbsup:

30g butter
60g cream cheese (philadelphia type)
1 and 1/2 cups icing sugar

whizz it all up (hand mixer/processor is best - harder by hand with a wooden spoon to get it smooth)

scrummy :D