PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with info about London theatre breaks?

gigglinggoblin
24-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I have only been to London once and that was a school trip, we saw McDonalds and the entrance to the science museum and that was about it!

Thinking of booking a night in a hotel and a show for me and 2 boys aged 10 and 11 in February but I want to know the hotel will be lovely and we will be able to get to the show etc, I have absolutely no knowledge of London or where anything is. There are so many companies selling breaks that I am a bit nervous about picking one and thought one of you lovely people may have been there, done that and could report back :)

clio0602
24-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Sorry for jumping in :blush: Just thought i'd keep an eye on this thread as its my birthday in Feb and hoping to go for theatre break wkend!!! :D

Twinkles
24-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Have a look on www.lastminute.com they have some fab bargains. They are a reputable company and would not deal with a sub standard hotel.

Also look at Trip advisor they have reviews of most hotels.

gigglinggoblin
24-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Have a look on www.lastminute.com they have some fab bargains. They are a reputable company and would not deal with a sub standard hotel.

Also look at Trip advisor they have reviews of most hotels.

Thats good to know, I thought they kust acted as an advertiser, didnt know there was any kind of quality control.

What are you hoping to see clio? Tho I guess a grown up weekend might be a bit different!

chibault
24-10-2010, 11:00 PM
The k west hotel in shepherds bush used to be nice and they sometimes do deals I believe. Lots of celebs stay there too. It's a 1 min from shepherds bush tube station which goes to Oxford circus, bond st, lots of central locations. Takes about 15 mins to get to Oxford st from shepherds bush on the tube.

It's also only 2 mins from Westfield one of europes biggest shopping centres, which is great! And has a food court inside and bigger restaurants around the centre too. There are also cinemas really close too.

For musicals, shrek the musical is starting soon I think, then there's shows like the lion king, grease or stomp for boys of that age. All of my friends have raved about legally blonde, but don't think your boys would probably be into that!

Hth!
X :thumbsup:

Hebs
25-10-2010, 06:45 AM
when i booked for my mum and dad to go see Mamma Mia i booked with

http://www.newmarketholidays.co.uk/

the cover everything from travel there, accomodation and tickets

:thumbsup:

sarah707
25-10-2010, 09:12 AM
We stay at the Best Western on Chiswick High Road.

It's good value for money, free parking (inner London hotels cost a fortune parking) and the breakfast is good.

We travel into London by tube - tube maps available at all stations - from Turnham Green Station.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the tube and 20 minutes into the centre of London.

The theatres tend to be on easy lines like Picadilly, which drop off at Turnham Green on the way back.

We book our tickets through Ticket master because at least we know they are reputable even if they are a bit expensive.

TIP - book to collect tickets at the box office then you won't be panicking about them not arriving before you leave.

You can pull up tube maps via Google and walk round London on Google maps to see distances etc.

Enjoy! :D

clio0602
25-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Thats good to know, I thought they kust acted as an advertiser, didnt know there was any kind of quality control.

What are you hoping to see clio? Tho I guess a grown up weekend might be a bit different!

Not quite sure what I what I'd like to see yet. I was looking at the dates at lastminute.com and some have sold out for my b'day wkend. Think I'll be dropping some hints to see if I can get someone to arrange it for me :D

Bazza
25-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I have spent many days in London and been to many places, but if I have to give one tip for a visit it would be this:

Don't eat at Pizza Hut in the Haymarket. Its right near a few theatres and a stones throw from Piccadilly Circus. When I was last there in August time I actually thought I was being set up for a TV show because the service was sooooo bad.

Otherwise, another good tip, dont book a hotel right in the centre of town, get one near the Northern or Piccadilly lines and you can travel in. This will likely save a few pennies.

As for a great show to see, The Lion King is awesome. :thumbsup:

loocyloo
25-10-2010, 06:03 PM
we've stayed at this youth hostel . cheap, but safe, reliable and clean! there is a cafe that does breakfast there (not included) but we go to macdonalds for breakfast !!!

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/london/hostels/london_central/index.aspx

lion king is a good show for children, i took mine to see oliver recently and they loved that. i saw billy elliot - excellent and incredible dancing, but the language is as it is in the film! wicked is good, i can't remember when wizard of oz opens. les miserable is also a good one for most ages. i love priscilla, but its not a childrens show !!! apparently we will rock you is good.

we like to eat in spaghetti houses or bella italia. yummy pizza and pasta!

gigglinggoblin
27-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all these, they are a brilliant help. I dont know where anything is so I dont know how far apart to expect theatres to be, where tube stations are etc. The youth hostel looks brill and I will also keep the best western in mind depending on finances. I think it might be cheaper to book hotel and tickets separately looking at the sites that do the bundles. My friend said she never booked tickets and picked them up on the day but I would be a bit nervous about that on a weekend, especially as we only have one night.

loocyloo
27-10-2010, 02:49 PM
try this map

http://www.mylondonmap.com/london-theatres.php

it should have all tube stations and theatres marked on it! easiest thing to do i think, is decide what you want to see and book tickets, then work out where you want to stay, book and then look at the tube map.

some theatres are very close to each others, and lots are situated on the same road, or in the same area.

i usually get my tickets sent to me, but if seeing the show within a couple of weeks, i arrange to pick up the tickets at the box office.

i have got cheap tickets on the day from TKTS - the half price/cheap ticket booth in leicester square, but they don't always have what i want to see, or no seats together! (i only go there is i am intown for something else and have a 'free' afternoon or evening!)

http://www.theatreticketsdirect.co.uk/?gclid=CIPtsImk86QCFSL92AodsjRXiA

i would say to AVOID all the other shops/people selling 'cheap' tickets around leicester square as i have always had cheaper/better tickets from TKTS or the theatre themselves. i usually google what i want to see and search for the best deal!

have fun.

Cammie Doodle
27-10-2010, 07:56 PM
A tip we learnt from our son (who lived / worked as a Chef in London for 18mths) is buy a dinner/ theatre offer, works out so much cheaper :) Google it. I would love to see Lion King, maybe I will go soon :thumbsup: